x
Beta Member

Tested Barcode Scanners

Hi Everyone,

I'm creating this thread to let everyone know about the types of barcode scanners I have tried recently and have worked with Square's Cash register terminal (Not Ipad or Andriod devices POS). 

I hope others can see this and it will hopefully help you make a decision on what barcode scanner to buy with your square register. Also, other users can chip in with their experience with different third-party barcode scanners.

I run a grocery store so we have a lot of products with different types of packaging. It was hard to find a barcode scanner since square only lists a couple of scanners. I've added a link for you to have a look further and which ones to avoid.

I've tried four different barcode scanners out on the market
1. Tera 1D Wireless & Wired scanner - This is Recognised by the system 
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B078SQ91FB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

- this is a good scanner however it is only 1D

- very cheap

-can be wireless 

2. Tera Pro 2D Barcode Scanner - Not Recognised by the system 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B078SQ91FB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

3. zebra ds2208 - This is Recognised by the system 
https://www.thebarcodewarehouse.co.uk/barcode-scanners-and-readers/2d-barcode-scanners-readers/ds220... 
- good scanner but it's not a very good hands-free device

- expensive

4. Zebra ds9308 - Recognised by the system
https://www.zebra.com/gb/en/products/scanners/general-purpose-scanners/hands-free-on-counter/ds9308.... 

-really good scanner for hands-free operations 

- however, it is very expensive (if you can afford it, it is worth it as customers will not be waiting for so long) 

I hope this helps. 

Message 1 of 13
Report Inappropriate Content
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @Alans1, welcome to the Seller Community and thank you for sharing this information about barcode scanners compatible with Square! We also have some information about hardware compatibility by device in our Support Center. This is amazing and I'm sure will come in handy for folks. 

I'm marking this reply as a Best Answer to help others to discover this information!

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @Alans1, welcome to the Seller Community and thank you for sharing this information about barcode scanners compatible with Square! We also have some information about hardware compatibility by device in our Support Center. This is amazing and I'm sure will come in handy for folks. 

I'm marking this reply as a Best Answer to help others to discover this information!

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 2 of 13
Super Seller

Hey @Alans1 thanks so much for testing these! Are you able to give any more info on the Zebra ds9308 you have that works with Square please? I have been searching online and found 4 different models, not sure which you have that is working?

Zebra DS9308: Retail Scanner, White
SKU:ZE99972
mpn:DS9308-SR0000WZZWW

Zebra DS9308: Retail Scanner, Digimarc Capability
SKU:ZE99970
mpn:DS9308-SRD0004ZZWW

Zebra DS9308: Retail Scanner
SKU:ZE99971
mpn:DS9308-SR00004ZZWW

Zebra DS9308: Retail Scanner, Checkpoint EAS
SKU:ZE99973
mpn:DS9308-SR00004ZCWW

And just confirming - It works with the Square Register (their own all-in-one hardware)? Have you tested it with Square Stand at all?

Many thanks again!

Message 3 of 13
Beta Member

Hi,

here's the exact product code and store link to the product.

product code: DS9308-SR4U2100AZE

product name/title:Zebra DS9308 1D/2D Presentation
Barcode Scanner - USB Kit

The link to the product page (where i purchased from):
https://www.ers-online.co.uk/p9169/zebra-ds9300-series-1d-2d-presentation-barcode-scanner

Q)

'And just confirming - It works with the Square Register (their own all-in-one hardware)? Have you tested it with Square Stand at all?'

Yes it works with the square register (all in one hardware) 100%. I've been using it for over two months now, no problem at all. 

I haven't tested the barcode scanner with square stand(Ipad) version yet. I read that the Square Stand should come with three-port USB hub, so it should work if there's a USB port but not 100% sure, it might be best to buy from a supplier who allows for returns, test it then send it back for a refund if it doesn't work.

The more expensive version of the ds9308 which have really good features (e.g. Digimarc Capability) but I dont think they work with square (not integrated). that why I just went with a basic one. 

Just a note, I would highly recommend this barcode scanner. It's really good and makes the scanning process much faster than a handle barcode scanner with a stand. 

i hope that helps. let me know if you need more info.

Message 4 of 13
Super Seller

This absolutely helps @Alans1!!! Thanks - am going to find a retailer that will return if there is an issue and buy one right now!! 😎

Message 5 of 13
Super Seller

Hey @Alans1 I got my hands on a DS9308, great bit of kit!

I was curious, how did you get it to work with square? It shows up as “accessory not supported” when I plug it in, and I’ve tried scanning the barcode (IBM HAND-HELD USB) seemed to trigger the “accessory not supported” notification, so figure it is working with that config?

I’ve tried scanning some barcodes but it doesn’t pull up anything (I’ve scanned at the main categories screen, and also in the item library but nothing gets pulled up).

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Message 6 of 13
Beta Member

Hi, I hope you can see the video, that's how my barcode scanner works.

When i first set my barcode scanner, i didn't do any config for it apart from the sound (lowering the beeping sound) setting. 

I think you should factory reset it (should be a barcode for that on the paper that came with the device. I think the IBM setting you scanned might have affected it? 

See if that works and let me know if you need more help. 

Message 7 of 13
Beta Member

@artizansty  also can you send a picture of the setup?

That would help me see what's going on. 

Message 8 of 13
Beta Member

Hi @Alans1, did you have to do anything with the Tera 1D scanner as in set up as i have bought one to try but it is not recognised by the system? Thanks 🙂

Message 9 of 13
Beta Member

Hi, did you manage to get the Tera 1dD scanner working? I went ahead and purchased it before reading all of the comments and I can't get it to work either corded via USB or wireless. 

Any help appreciated.

Message 10 of 13
Square Community Moderator

Hey @Baravellis, thank you for flagging this. 

Have you been able to run through any Barcode Scanner Troubleshooting steps at all? Are you seeing any error messages on the screen when trying to connect the barcode scanner? If so, could you share a screenshot, please? 

The more information you can provide, the better I'll be able to investigate. Thanks.

Message 11 of 13
Beta Member

Hi, I have tried the scanner in a pc using both the direct USB cable and the Bluetooth dongle. After being recognised by Windows 10 they both scan EAN8 barcodes directly into Word. 

When the scanner is attached to the USB hub of either my Square Register or my Square Terminal it is not recognised and no notification comes up, although the screen does seem to refresh. I have another scanner, a Metrologie MS9520 and this is recognised, albeit as a Honeywell Orbit 7120. 

The Tera scanner will operate either wired or via Bluetooth but the correct product does not appear. On the register one of my variable products pops up, no matter which code is scanned. On the Terminal the first scan does nothing but the second scan brings up the Redeem Rewards screen.

I hope this helps and any advice would be gratefully received.

Mark

Message 12 of 13
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for that information @Baravellis.

Since those models are not listed on our accessory compatibility page, it's possible that the devices were connecting prior, but a software update could have changed the compatibility of certain barcode scanners with our hardware. 

We always recommend checking our compatibility page prior to purchasing accessories, as the ones listed there are guaranteed to work with our hardware.

Message 13 of 13