x

Loyalty: Are customers able to earn loyalty points by shopping in my Square Online site?

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Loyalty Points

Hello,

Are customers able to earn loyalty points by shopping my online store?  Or only by physically swiping their card in person?

Thanks!

Erin

Message 1 of 85
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hello! I would like to let everyone know that you can now use Square Loyalty with all Square Online purchases. This will allow your customers to enroll, redeem, and earn Loyalty points at your checkout page with their phone number.

A few things to keep in mind while you use this feature:

• You must ask for your customer’s phone number during checkout on Square Online. This is a default option that is set to “on.” If this option is off, you can turn it back on in your checkout settings.

• Your customers can redeem rewards during checkout. They can enroll for your Loyalty program, or view their earnings on the order confirmation page

• If you have multiple Square locations: Your Loyalty program is tied to your Online store location. If you have separate Online Stores (each tied to a different location) you must create a separate Loyalty program for each store. You can check if your current Loyalty subscription is tied to your online store location here.

Category-based rewards are not redeemable online at this time.

original-.png

You can find more information in our Overview of Square Loyalty, but feel free to ask any questions you have below as well. Thanks, everyone, for your time!

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 56 of 85
84 REPLIES 84

Hi! This post is helpful; however, we DO ask our customers to provide their phone numbers, and the "use a reward" option still does not show up at all when checking out.

Message 64 of 85
Beta Member

Hi @AshleyK , I ran into a bit of an issue when trying to launch a loyalty program with our pickup service. Everything appears to be set up properly, but there is no visible place to redeem the loyalty punches from the Square Online store. If I enter the phone number for the test account it doesn't seem to recognize there are enough points to issue 1 free item per the rewards setup.

Any ideas on what we're doing wrong here?

Thank you!

Message 65 of 85
Super Seller Alumni

Hey @Simpleroast 

@The Redeem Reward section should show up in the Payment Information block. 

Are your rewards based on items, or categories?

Square Online does not work with Category Based Loyalty Programs - so I had to change my points and rewards to be item based instead. 

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 66 of 85
Beta Member

Hi @pessosices !

Thanks for the response. The reward is set to Redeem a Free Item instead of Discount a Category. I have 10 points/punches on my test account, and the reward is set for 10 points/punches. 

When I go to place test orders I'm entering in first name, last name, phone number, and email, which all match the loyalty info on file for this account. That should match up with the information on file, I would think? I'm sure there's some setting or process I'm missing here.

Message 67 of 85
Super Seller Alumni

Thanks for following up @Simpleroast !

And just to double check - you have that specific item that would be free in your cart, and you continued through the checkout process to the Payment info section where you would enter in your credit card, and still nothing has shown up?

Can you attach some screenshots of the customer profile with the loyalty section, your loyalty rewards qualification settings, and your checkout flow with that customer account info loaded?

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Message 68 of 85
Beta Member

Hey @pessosices !

Thank you for getting back to me!

The end goal we're shooting for is "1 free drink, any drink." but I have it set up to give 1 free specific drink(12 oz hot coffee) just to get the setting correct, then I can add the remaining drinks to the list. 

We have 1 loyalty reward that uses the category setting for 2 physical locations, and 1 loyalty reward that has the 12 oz hot coffee selected.

I think I covered everything you were asking for? The Roastery is our online store location, the other two are drive-thrus, so the category-based loyalty reward makes the flow at the window faster.

Thank you so much for your help! 

order-workflow.jpgfull-loyalty-settings.pngfree drink setting.pngloyalty-section.pngprofile-details.png

Message 69 of 85
Super Seller Alumni

Thanks so much for all the info & screenshots @Simpleroast !

Hmm this is definitely tricky. 

My suspicion is that it has something to do with the separate locations. 
I don’t have much experience working with Loyalty across locations, but I have a couple of ideas. 

Do your locations share an item library? 
Or is it duplicates of the same item in each location?
Is that Hot Coffee - Small - 12 oz item enabled for all locations? 

Is there a second/third instance of an item with the same name in your item library?
When you edit/select the Reward Details in settings, does it give you options of choosing a location there to choose the item?

If none of these work, then calling the Customer Success Team might be your best bet. They’ll be able to look into things deeper to see what’s going on under the hood. 

——————

Another thing that is probably not the cause but it’s worth trying out, on the checkout page you have the +1 in the phone number - I’m not sure if that’s automatic or manual - try removing that?

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Message 70 of 85

Is this feature not available in Australia?

Message 71 of 85
Admin

Hey @miso_hangry,

Loyalty rewards should also work for Square Online purchases in Australia, though I'll try and confirm this with a product manager just in case.

When completing a transaction on your business’s website, the buyer will need to enter in their phone number, and any rewards they decide to use for their purchase will be automatically applied. The rewards used for the transaction will also appear on their digital receipt, which you can check / resend by locating the payment in the transaction section of the Square Dashboard.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 72 of 85

Thank you @Seamus, I did a test transaction and it worked.

Is there an option to ask customers to join the loyalty program during checkout please?

Message 73 of 85
Super Seller Alumni

Hey @miso_hangry 

If a customer is new to the Loyalty Program, it does ask them ask them if they want to sign up at the end of the transaction, once the payment goes through.

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Message 74 of 85

@pessosices Thank you!

Message 75 of 85

@pessosices to the rescue! Feel free to reach back out if you any other questions, @miso_hangry!

Joe
Message 76 of 85
Beta Member

Yes, so right now I have square connected to my wordpress account. How can I allow customers to use their square loyalty points through my wordpress account?

Message 77 of 85

Hi @MEEKU,

At this time, only purchases via a Square Online store would accrue Square Loyalty points. I'll go ahead and pass your feedback about Square for Loyalty via Wordpress sites to our team. Thank you for letting us know this is something you'd like to see! 

Message 78 of 85

Hi- Is there a way to redeem rewards through our online store? I am signed up with the loyalty program and I went through the check out process, but I see no place to redeem rewards or enter a phone number?

Thank you!

Message 79 of 85

Hey @bafranco1,

I moved your post to an existing thread where this question has been answered.

Check out @AshleyK 's Best Answer for details on how customers can redeem loyalty points in the Online Store. 

Ashley C
Message 80 of 85

Can the 'Amount Spent' loyalty program be used on Square Online or only POS?

Message 81 of 85
Alumni

Yup ! Buyers can enroll, redeem, and earn Loyalty points through Square Online. Moved you to a thread where @AshleyK gives a run down. @Todd3

Justin
Message 82 of 85
Beta Member

We have customers with enough loyalty points to claim reward but were not able to use them during checkout for online purchase.  They kept getting payment declined once they selected the 10 dollar off reward during checkout.  We have tested it ourselves.  Once we removed the reward we were able to checkout successfully, but we would keep getting payment declined error message if we try to claim the reward during checkout.  It is a big disappointment to these customers because they have to visit us 10 times to earn that reward and finally they have enough points to claim only to found out they couldn't use it.  We didn't know what was the problem when these customers contacted us.  Initially we thought it could be their credit cards. But they have tried different credit cards.  As the result, they stopped using our website with square online and placed their orders on grubhub or ubereats.  And we have to pay these platforms extra commission.   We tried so hard to convert grubhub and ubereats customers to start ordering on our own site... 

Square has a lot good features,  I just hope they can QA them thoroughly before release the change.  Also, if there is a queue of every problem we reported and an ETA when they will be fixed, it will be really helpful.  We have many marketing plans to promote our own website but really hesitating to do so now because we don't know if these features provided by square are actually working.  It isn't really our job to QA square software, I am sure they have a QA team to handle the job.  

Message 83 of 85
Alumni

@Ryan_H

Did Pesso and Tiffiany's posts in this thread help at all? If not, you might be experiencing a bug. Reach out to our Loyalty Team for help. 

Justin
Message 84 of 85