x
Super Seller

Another “Profit First” benefit

I know, I know.  LOL.  Chip seems to be perpetually stuck on our last book, “Profit First!”  But I keep finding reasons that it was a really good pick for us/me.  Here’s another.

It is reasonably certain that I’m going to be opening a second Piper’s Ice Cream Bar.  But, of course, now is the time to run the numbers and projections to be sure that I won’t be biting off more than I can chew, AND to be certain that I’m going to be able to ensure consistent owner draws from the outset.

A few days ago, I started that process and am using the same budgeting procedure that I used for my current operation this year.  So, first, I set an owner draw “goal” for the first year of the proposed location.  That money is now out of sight, out of mind, and I’m analyzing the new location with the only funds available to me for operations after my projected gross sales LESS my desired owner draws.

It’s a very interesting way of budgeting.  Instead of finding that the numbers don’t work with the desired owner draw, I’m finding that my initial operational budget was entirely unreasonable and needed a lot of tweaking.  Honestly, the new budget (and the operations that budget supports) have turned out to be better.  There’s no fat, no waste.  There IS a built-in emergency fund, though.

I feel so much more confident in the numbers I’m seeing so far, especially knowing that I am guaranteeing draws that are satisfactory to us, as partners.

Sweet.

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!

जो है सो है
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Admin

Keep the Profit First learnings coming! This is very cool to see how you're applying this to your business, Chip!

Max Pete
Community Engagement Program Manager, Square
Seller Community
Message 2 of 3
Admin

Thanks for sharing so much, @TheRealChipA - we'll never tire of your Profit First takes!

That's so wonderful that the work you put into looking at your current business finances in a new way is helping you run the projections and calculations for a potential new one! 

Wow, that's so great that you're feeling good about things so far, and that your financials are in good shape!

So excited to keep hearing your updates-

️ Aylon Pesso, he/him
Small Business Evangelist, Square

Join the Square Readers Book Club
Message 3 of 3