x
Admin

May & June 2024 Book Club: The E-Myth Revisited by Michael E. Gerber

Hey Square Readers,

You voted and chose The E-Myth Revisited by Michael E. Gerber as our Square Readers Book Club book for May & June 2024!

Pesso_0-1713201158737.png

Here’s a quick summary:

“Small business consultant and author Michael E. Gerber, with sharp insight gained from years of experience, points out how common assumptions, expectations, and even technical expertise can get in the way of running a successful business. Gerber walks you through the steps in the life of a business—from entrepreneurial infancy through adolescent growing pains to the mature entrepreneurial perspective: the guiding light of all businesses that succeed—and shows how to apply the lessons of franchising to any business, whether or not it is a franchise. Most importantly, Gerber draws the vital, often overlooked distinction between working on your business and working in your business.”

We’ll start reading on Monday, May 6th, so get ready and pick up a copy at a local library, bookstore, Amazon, or anywhere else! 

We’ll have discussion threads being posted throughout the next two months, and a Live Discussion Video Chat at the end of June. Head over to this post to help us pick a day and time for this book’s Live Discussion Video Chat!

Don’t forget to:

We can’t wait to read with you!

Pesso

️ Aylon Pesso, he/him
Small Business Evangelist, Square

Join the Square Readers Book Club
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Seller Community Mentor

Hello Aylon

Amazing 👏 looking forward to our bookclub discussion 👍😊👍

Arline Trividic
Message 2 of 23
Admin

Thank you, @Smellthis1919 ! I'm excited for it too!

️ Aylon Pesso, he/him

Message 3 of 23
Admin

Very exciting!

Max Pete
Community Engagement Program Manager, Square
Seller Community
Message 4 of 23
Seller Community Mentor

Just in case anyone is interested, there is an unofficial companion workbook for this book.  It's written by a different author but addresses exactly what I like - being able to take notes and implement what I've learned.  That's one thing I really loved about Worth Every Penny - being able to do the homework.  I've ordered both the book and the workbook.  I think it will be worth it!

Co-Owner/Business Manager
Arctic Heat
R&C Property Management
Event Planner/Business Trainer
Member - Women in HVACR
Member - Women's Leadership Network, Helena
Message 5 of 23
Admin

Ooh, that's so cool, thanks for sharing @CareyJo ! Do you mind sharing the name and the author in case folks want to do it? Thank you!

️ Aylon Pesso, he/him

Message 6 of 23
Seller Community Mentor

Author is Krystal Reads.  If you search the E-Myth on Amazon, it automatically comes up.  🙂

Arctic Heat
R&C Property Management
Member - Women in HVACR
Message 7 of 23
Admin

Perfect, thanks again for sharing, @CareyJo !

️ Aylon Pesso, he/him

Message 8 of 23
Super Seller

I’m definitely looking forward to reading this one.  Having the father that I did, I didn’t stand a chance on this subject.  He always felt (and preached) that too many people started their own businesses for the wrong reasons and/or without all of the information and tools needed to persevere and make that business succeed.  After retirement, he volunteered with a local organization to help change that — one small business at a time.  My own experiences have proven him right again and again.

I’m betting that the author’s discussion of “the vital, often overlooked distinction between working on your business and working in your business” is going to be very interesting, indeed!

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!

जो है सो है
Message 9 of 23
Admin

Thanks for sharing, @TheRealChipA -- that's so incredible to have had that mentality throughout your life, and I'm sure it helped when it came time for you to open your own, that you did it in the most prepared way possible. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the book as we go!

️ Aylon Pesso, he/him

Message 10 of 23
Seller Community Mentor

Did your dad volunteer for SCORE?

Arctic Heat
R&C Property Management
Member - Women in HVACR
Message 11 of 23
Super Seller

He certainly did. One of his specialities was tax preparation. I guess that rubbed off on me, too! Lol

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!

जो है सो है
Message 12 of 23
Seller Community Mentor

I'm old school... I became familiar with the SBA and SCORE and the SBDC decades ago.  That's awesome that he volunteered!  Not enough people take advantage of that program!

Arctic Heat
R&C Property Management
Member - Women in HVACR
Message 13 of 23
Admin

@TheRealChipA @CareyJo For those that aren't aware -- what's SCORE? 😇

I did a little googling but I'd love to hear more about your experiences volunteering and receiving mentorship (and your dad's too!).  

Message 14 of 23
Super Seller

SCORE provides mentoring, support, advice, and services to any business owner who wants it.  They even have events, workshops and webinars.  I’ll let them speak for themselves here on their About Page.  Their mentoring services are usually free, some events and such have small donations recommended, and they have an extensive library of business resources.  Each chapter also focuses on their particular local business environment, laws and regulations.  Honestly, I think that anyone who is new to owning a business, or who is interested in starting one, should avail themselves of this amazing resource.   They also partner with the SBA and are very familiar with helping businesses tap those financial resources.

Chip

Website
Facebook

जो है सो है
Message 15 of 23
Admin

Thanks for sharing all of this, @CareyJo & @TheRealChipA !

I had only JUST heard about SCORE from my Let's Talk Business interview with @MudFire_D (to be published in June!) and I was just starting to look into it more. It sounds like a really great organization that I wish I knew about back when I had my shop. So great that y'all have been involved with it, and hopefully your explanations can help some other folks!

️ Aylon Pesso, he/him

Message 16 of 23
Seller Community Mentor

@TheRealChipA is exactly right.  That is what they do.  I became familiar with them when we moved to MT in 1999 and I joined a local program within the SBA called WNET.  It was a women's networking group and unfortunately only lasted a couple of years, but being in connection with the SBA right after we moved here gave me access to resources that I didn't know existed, such as SCORE and SBDC.  The SCORE program connected me with a mentor who worked with me for one year to grow my then business.  The SBDC is the Small Business Development Center and every SBA office in the US should have one... so check where you are.  The SBDC connects you with funding sources and many other kids of business resources in your specific area.  They should be able for example, to tell you how to find available government contracts in your area and connect you with the local BBB, if you don't know how to find them.  They are basically a business library of information.

Lastly, earlier this year, I became a mentor through the Square Mentor program.  I'm volunteering as a mentor to a business owner who needs help.  You can join as a mentee, just apply.  It's another group within the Seller Community.  You can also always reach out to anyone you 'know' on here who's a seasoned business owner.  I've been a business owner for 37 years and owned nine different businesses.  You would be surprised the amount of information you can find from members of this group alone, with the variety of business owners, experiences and years in business.  Just reach out! 🙂 

Arctic Heat
R&C Property Management
Member - Women in HVACR
Message 17 of 23
Beta Member

This is such a great book! It was probably the one that gave me the best long-game picture to aspire to. There is a podcast that is fabulous where Michael Gerber walks through his whole concept. It's really long and great to listen to on walks/drives. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/business-processes-simplified-podcast/id1458198224?i=100043889...

Message 18 of 23
Admin

That's so great to hear, @ChocoRee ! What are some of the big takeaways you've gotten? I hope you can join into our discussion threads once we start and share your thoughts-

And thanks for sharing that podcast!

️ Aylon Pesso, he/him

Message 19 of 23

Great to be here looking forward to start reading The E Myth Revisited 

Message 20 of 23
Admin

Thank you, @AgiM -- great to have you!

We're starting up with our first discussion thread this coming Monday -- can't wait to hear your thoughts on it!

️ Aylon Pesso, he/him

Message 21 of 23