x
Beta Member

Track Remaining Items

I am in the process of setting up the online order system, but I can't figure out how it could be possible with the Track Remaining Items feature not being enabled anymore. Does anyone know how?

We are a restaurant and want to be able to take online orders, but if I've only got a few portions left of a certain item, say 4 fish of the day, I've told the system that but it's not stopping me from purchasing 5..or 10 !!?? How do you do it?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Alicemartino,

Thanks for reaching out to us with your question!

If you're setting up your Square Online site and are already tracking stock for items in your app, the expected behaviour would be for these details to sync across to your Square Online platform. To check that you have correctly enabled stock tracking for these items, refer to the steps in this online guide.

When an item is sold out, or has limited number, the expected behaviour would be for the site to limit purchasing beyond the available number. However, you may override a out of stock item from your app. The reason we allow for this ability in the app, is because the idea is that the sale is being made in person, and this allows for any miscounts of available stock. For example, if there are remaining pastries in the cabinet, but the point of sale is showing out of stock, you may still process a sale for that item as you are physically present to confirm the sale.

If after checking the above settings, you're noticing that items marked as unavailable or with only a few units remaining are still allowing online purchases beyond the available quantity, please let me know. If you're able to provide examples and links to these items so I can investigate further, that would be helpful!

Laurie
Community Moderator, Australia, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 3

@Laurie_ I think you arent solving the situation of OP (@Alicemartino).... as i have noticed a similar situation before.

If there is only 2 items left in square, Square will let you sell 10 of this item (in the 1 transaction, meaning you go into -8 stock) and not give you any warnings! So you end up with disappointed customers. The current system only works if you luckily sell down exactly to the last one, without going over, and then it will mark as Sold Out.

A quick fix to this, would be to show the qty left on the items (just like the previous version of software did).

It is disappointing that such a basic feature doesnt work very well.

Message 3 of 3