x
Beta Member

How Can I Protect My Customers from Fraudulent Charges?

The title of this thread has been edited by a Square Moderator from the original: "customer card hacked"

A customer's card was used 3 times for Uber rides after paying for merchandise on my Square reader.  Is there anything I can do to help prevent this type of thing happening?

Message 1 of 2
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi @mc231 - Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community with your question.

Sorry to hear that this happened to your customer. We definitely appreciate your concern and care for them. Unfortunately, there's not much you can do in this situation as the merchant (our card readers don't actually store any card information on the reader itself), but we can certainly provide some more information on this for you.

The customer is free to dispute the unauthorized charges with their bank or credit card company.

After a dispute is filed, Square will receive notification of the billing dispute from their bank or credit card company. At that time, we’ll work with them to resolve the dispute as quickly as possible.

We hope this information is helpful but please do let us know if you have any additional questions.

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi @mc231 - Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community with your question.

Sorry to hear that this happened to your customer. We definitely appreciate your concern and care for them. Unfortunately, there's not much you can do in this situation as the merchant (our card readers don't actually store any card information on the reader itself), but we can certainly provide some more information on this for you.

The customer is free to dispute the unauthorized charges with their bank or credit card company.

After a dispute is filed, Square will receive notification of the billing dispute from their bank or credit card company. At that time, we’ll work with them to resolve the dispute as quickly as possible.

We hope this information is helpful but please do let us know if you have any additional questions.

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 2