x

Secure Session Denial

Hi

I've recently received my square and have followed the instructions to connect. I already had an account and signed in on the newly downloaded app, then I used bluetooth to connect and all seemed well. 

Then the app started to update the reader software, this seemed to repeat 3 times. Now I can't get past the "Reader unavailable: secure session denial". I've tried the usual "switch it off and on again" approach, forgetting the reader and then starting again but nothing seems to work. 

Please help. 

Thanks

Message 1 of 12
Report Inappropriate Content
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @Chriscom, just stepping in for Emma here. 

Developer mode enabled refers to your device rather than the Square Reader. 

If you see the message that Developer options are not supported, please turn off the developer options within your device before running through the troubleshooting steps. To turn off developer options:

1. Navigate to Settings section of your device > Developer Options
  2. Toggle Developer Options off.

If you can’t see the Developer Options menu:

1. Tap About Device
  2. Tap Build Number 7 times > you will see a prompt on the screen indicating developer options are enabled
  3. Tap the back arrow to navigate back to Settings
  4. Tap Developer Options > toggle Developer Options OFF.

If you are using a Huawei device, you can also try:

1. Go to the Settings of your Huawei device
  2. Tap on More Settings
  3. Disable the button Allow Hisuite to use HDB.

After these steps you can try the try the troubleshooting steps outlined here again but as Emma mentioned, if it's not listed on our compatibility page we can't guarantee it should work. 

I understand you were relying on this device so I thought I'd mention that you are still able to use your device to accept credit cards by manually entering information into the Point of Sale app, sending your customers an invoice or taking payments directly on your computer using Virtual TerminalYou can see card not present fees and more information here 

Breffni
Community Moderator, Ireland, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question

View Best Answer >

Message 8 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Chriscom, sorry you're running into this! The connection may not be stable with devices that are not compatible. Please check if your device is compatible with Square Reader. If it is compatible and you tried all the troubleshooting steps outlined here but you continue receiving this error message, please contact our Support team. This may need to be investigated by our engineers. 

Emma
Community Manager, Square
Message 2 of 12

Hi Emma

OK, so I tried the troubleshooting steps, and it didn't help. However, something that I'm sure has been there all along but I've been distracted by the first message, there is another message at the same time that says:

" Developer Options Not Supported. This device has enabled developer options. Please disable developer options in order to use the Square's chip reader". 

Does this help or should I just try your support team? 

Thanks

Message 3 of 12

Hi @Chriscom, thanks for these details. If you see the message that Developer options are not supported, please turn off the developer options within your device before running through the troubleshooting steps. Have you checked if your device is compatible with Square Reader here

Emma
Message 4 of 12

Hi Emma

I am in touch with your support team. It would seem to be very slow in responding to my emails. 

The situation is difficult to say the least. I have waited weeks for this device and cannot trade without it.

Unfortunately the solution to the Developer Options problem is not easy because the option to turn it off is not given. According to your support team, there is a possibility of making that menu appear, only after running through as set of steps to turn the menu on. However, the steps that I've been sent, don't seem to be appropriate and I am awaiting a further response from the support team. 

My phone is an Honor View 20, otherwise called a Huawei Honor V20. Although it does not appear in your list, I could at least test this by installing the Square App on an alternative phone and use and alternative carrier if that is so necessary. However, all of this seems to be taking a very long time and is endangering my launch that is planned for this weekend. 

I hope I get a helpful reply from your support team asap, it seems that there is no option to contact them by phone.

Message 5 of 12

Hi @Chriscom, I'm very sorry you're experiencing this. I have checked Huawei Honor V20 and this device is not on our list of compatible devices, which is likely why you are seeing an error when connecting it to your reader.

There's a wide variety of Android devices on the market, and we strive to support them all. In some cases, however, the Android device may meet all the requirements for compatibility but still not communicate properly with the Square hardware or the Square apps.

To help you figure out exactly what devices you can use, check out our compatibility page to see what other devices that we can guarantee will work. 

Emma
Message 6 of 12

Emma

I believe from your compatibility list, that my device has never been tested. I don't think that is the same thing as knowing that it isn't compatible? If your device hadn't been delivered in Developer mode, perhaps we would be able to find out. 

Regards

Message 7 of 12
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @Chriscom, just stepping in for Emma here. 

Developer mode enabled refers to your device rather than the Square Reader. 

If you see the message that Developer options are not supported, please turn off the developer options within your device before running through the troubleshooting steps. To turn off developer options:

1. Navigate to Settings section of your device > Developer Options
  2. Toggle Developer Options off.

If you can’t see the Developer Options menu:

1. Tap About Device
  2. Tap Build Number 7 times > you will see a prompt on the screen indicating developer options are enabled
  3. Tap the back arrow to navigate back to Settings
  4. Tap Developer Options > toggle Developer Options OFF.

If you are using a Huawei device, you can also try:

1. Go to the Settings of your Huawei device
  2. Tap on More Settings
  3. Disable the button Allow Hisuite to use HDB.

After these steps you can try the try the troubleshooting steps outlined here again but as Emma mentioned, if it's not listed on our compatibility page we can't guarantee it should work. 

I understand you were relying on this device so I thought I'd mention that you are still able to use your device to accept credit cards by manually entering information into the Point of Sale app, sending your customers an invoice or taking payments directly on your computer using Virtual TerminalYou can see card not present fees and more information here 

Breffni
Message 8 of 12

OK so the good news is that worked. Well, there was no developer menu item, so I followed your instructions and that actually turned on developer options, my device then welcomed me as a developer. Then I used the menu to turn it off again. After that I was able to connect the reader.

So, the other good news is that you can say that my device works with the reader as I have managed to process a £1.00 test payment. 

Thanks

Message 9 of 12
Admin

Great! Glad to hear you are up and running @Chriscom

Breffni
Message 10 of 12

Is there any chance of them making the reader accept developer mode on? I switched it on for a reason and it is a pain to have to keep turning it on and off again for a single accessory.

Message 11 of 12

Hi @IWilson, I'm sorry to hear you're running into an issue. Please run through the troubleshooting steps mentioned by @Breffni above in this thread. Unfortunately we cannot make changes to the reader and accept devices with Developer mode on for various reasons including device security reasons. Another alternative option is to use a compatible device listed here

Let me know if you have any question. 

Emma
Message 12 of 12