x

mPOP USB

According to the hardware compatibility list (https://squareup.com/help/gb/en/article/6334-hardware-compatibility-by-deviceIt is my understanding that the mPOP cash draw/receipt printer can be connected via USB.
We have it all setup and working on Bluetooth on the square stand with no issue. I would like it connected via USB for increased stability but when connecting it doesn't show in the hardware and also disconnects the the card reader and barcode scanner all connected to the square stand.
Just to be sure i have it all setup correct is there any documentation on how to connect the  mPOP via USB and can we then make use of the additional USB ports on the mPOP?

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 9
Report Inappropriate Content
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: mPOP USB

Hi @PeteC, thank you for reaching out! Since you have a Stand, the mPOP can be connected via USB cable - it should actually show up as if it's a standard USB printer.

In this case, can you try the following the steps and see if we can get the mPOP connects as a USB printer:

1. Go to Settings > Bluetooth on your iPad and disconnected the mPOP there.

2. Sign into your Square app

3. Go to Settings > Printers > Printer Station and create a new station. When you choose the printer, the mPOP should come up as a USB printer.

If this does not help, please let me know and I can have the team investigate further.

1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

The chart is wrong somewhere..... 

As it lists it as USB & working with the iPad without the square stand, but I don't think that's possible. 

It might be tested as BT only (shows as no support for android hardware) & this would explain it.

@tranguyen - someone needs to take a proper look at the list & update it. The mPop will work fine over BT with an iPhone. The m CPRINT3 will work with pretty much everything, including iOS over USB and iPhone over ethernet etc. (these are the printers that I can see are wrong without having to check any other details - they might be the only ones or there could be a few?)

Pizza Is Chill

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Super Seller

Best Answer

The chart is wrong somewhere..... 

As it lists it as USB & working with the iPad without the square stand, but I don't think that's possible. 

It might be tested as BT only (shows as no support for android hardware) & this would explain it.

@tranguyen - someone needs to take a proper look at the list & update it. The mPop will work fine over BT with an iPhone. The m CPRINT3 will work with pretty much everything, including iOS over USB and iPhone over ethernet etc. (these are the printers that I can see are wrong without having to check any other details - they might be the only ones or there could be a few?)

Pizza Is Chill

Message 2 of 9

Well I guess that explains why I can't find anything other than that hardware list to say it works with USB. Probably wouldn't of purchased it knowing it was only BT so yeah the hardware list certainly needs looking at.

Thanks for pointing that out @Sam_400º 

Message 3 of 9
Admin

Hi @Sam_400º, thank you for flagging this! I'll let the appropriate team know so they can review the information. 

Tra
Community Engagement Program Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 4 of 9
Admin

Hi @PeteC, thank you for reaching out! Since you have a Stand, the mPOP can be connected via USB cable - it should actually show up as if it's a standard USB printer.

In this case, can you try the following the steps and see if we can get the mPOP connects as a USB printer:

1. Go to Settings > Bluetooth on your iPad and disconnected the mPOP there.

2. Sign into your Square app

3. Go to Settings > Printers > Printer Station and create a new station. When you choose the printer, the mPOP should come up as a USB printer.

If this does not help, please let me know and I can have the team investigate further.

Tra
Message 5 of 9

Apologies for the late reply things have been a little busy

Connecting the mPOP to the square stand causes the Square stand to disconnect. We completely loose the barcode scanner and card reader.

Even with the other accessories unplugged the square stand disconnects when the mPOP is connected to the stand via USB.

There is no documentation (that I can find) on how to connect this so just for full details I am using a USB-A to USB-B cable. USB-A end in the square terminal (only option) and USB-B in mPOP because that's the only one that seems to make any sense.

Message 6 of 9
Admin

Hmm that does sound very strange, @PeteC. I'll need to have our team have a further look into this. Let me reach out to them and see if they have any recommendation for what type of cable should be used to connect the mPOP to the stand.

When you said that the Stand disconnects - is the iPad not recognise the Stand when the mPOP is plugged in or what seems to be happening? Is there an error message that you can see?

Tra
Message 7 of 9

Its just made a complete liar of me and worked.

I have absolutely no idea what's different between now and 2 weeks ago.

@tranguyen looks like you can call off the team. Thanks for your help

If anyone else trips over this I have absolutely no idea what I did to fix it (sorry) but I can confirm it is possible to connect with a USB-A to USB-B cable an functions as expected

Message 8 of 9
Admin

Glad to hear it works @PeteC! Did you turn the iPad off or update the app in-between? Sometimes that can help too. I'll let the team know that the printer is now working, but will check in and see if there are any best practices/recommendations they have for connecting the mPOP and Stand. Do let me know if there is anything else that you notice!

Tra
Message 9 of 9