x

How can I prevent a coupon code from applying a discount to a donation at checkout on my website?

The title of this post has been edited from the original: Remove discount from donation checkout

Hi, 

When my customers check out with a donation item the option to add a discount code and gift card are still appearing in the checkout. This doesn't really make sense since they are donating to our organization, I would like to know if I can remove this. 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

You can absolutely make it so that a coupon code only applies to certain items in the cart, @saraDMS1

Head over to the Online overview page of your Square Dashboard > Items > Coupons > select a coupon to edit > scroll to the Discount Details section:

Click into the What is discounted? dropdown to specify what customers are able to apply a coupon code to! To choose items to add, simply select the Specific Items option from the dropdown menu 🙌

You can also select entire categories instead of single items - if you have a large item library, it may be easier to lump the items you'd like to be discountable into categories, then add those categories here after selecting Specific Categories from the dropdown menu:

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Alumni

Best Answer

You can absolutely make it so that a coupon code only applies to certain items in the cart, @saraDMS1

Head over to the Online overview page of your Square Dashboard > Items > Coupons > select a coupon to edit > scroll to the Discount Details section:

Click into the What is discounted? dropdown to specify what customers are able to apply a coupon code to! To choose items to add, simply select the Specific Items option from the dropdown menu 🙌

You can also select entire categories instead of single items - if you have a large item library, it may be easier to lump the items you'd like to be discountable into categories, then add those categories here after selecting Specific Categories from the dropdown menu:

Valentina
Message 2 of 6

Thank yo Valentina, will the discount code and gift card options still show at the checkout if only the one product (a donation) is selected? 

Message 3 of 6
Alumni

Are you asking if the field in which your customers are able to enter a valid coupon code will appear if a customer adds a donation to their cart @saraDMS1? Yes, that field will always be there - but if you set up the coupon code in the way I've shown above, your customers will not be able to apply a coupon code to their donation.

Your second question - are you asking if your customer will be able to pay for a donation item using a Square Gift Card at checkout? Yes, they will have the option to + Add a gift card at checkout. I hope this helps! 

Valentina
Message 4 of 6

Hi Valentina, yes I am wondering if it is possible to remove both fields the gift card and discount code from the checkout completely so that they never show up? 

Message 5 of 6
Alumni

That would be considered a feature request at this time, @saraDMS1.

These two fields will always appear at checkout - regardless of whether or not you have set up Square Gift Cards or created a coupon for use on your website. If something changes, we can give you a shout here in this thread, so stay subscribed to receive a notification if that happens 

Valentina
Message 6 of 6