x

Square Reader: Does the Square Reader work on cellphone data when using app on phone?

2 questions:  does the square reader work on cellphone data when using app on phone?  does the reader drain the data if connected all day or only when being used?

Message 1 of 2
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi @Indulgeicecream great question!

The Square app requires an internet connection at all times to function properly. This can be either a WiFi connection or a data service on your mobile device (such as 3G, 4G or EDGE). The data used in a transaction with Square is small enough that you don’t need to worry about having more than a basic data plan. In most cases, Square will use less than 10kb per transaction. If your customer provides a signature, no more than 50kb will be used for the transaction. Keep in mind that there may be other data usage on your device outside of Square that may bring it up to the limits set by your carrier.

Let me know if you have any other questions. 🙂

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi @Indulgeicecream great question!

The Square app requires an internet connection at all times to function properly. This can be either a WiFi connection or a data service on your mobile device (such as 3G, 4G or EDGE). The data used in a transaction with Square is small enough that you don’t need to worry about having more than a basic data plan. In most cases, Square will use less than 10kb per transaction. If your customer provides a signature, no more than 50kb will be used for the transaction. Keep in mind that there may be other data usage on your device outside of Square that may bring it up to the limits set by your carrier.

Let me know if you have any other questions. 🙂

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 2