x

GDPR - The New Cookie Banner Has a MAJOR FLAW

EDITED TO ADD: MAJOR FLAW

Regardless of if one clicks "I Accept" on the cookie banner or not, navigation is still possible on the site, AND even WORSE, when revisiting the site, THE BANNER DOES NOT REAPPEAR, FALSELY ASSUMING THAT THE USER HAS AFFIRMATIVELY ACCEPTED COOKIES WHEN THIS IS NOT THE CASE.

THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED IMMEDIATELY.

Orignal post below:

I understand that the text may not be editable if you are trying to remain consistent across various languages. However, I should be given the option.

Secondly, the only options now are to have this cookie banner for "EU Users" or "Everyone".

While there is the ability to link to my own privacy page (see below), I no longer have the ability to place this banner on the top of my site like I was able to before. This functionality needs to be restored.

https://www.turnipseedtravel.com/disclaimers-privacy-cookies.html

Thirdly, when the text was customizable, I was able to use the cookie banner to also disclose that we have a privacy policy. As we are now required to have one, it would make sense for the cookie banner to remain the place that this is disclosed. 

Lastly, there does not appear to be a way where users can say no to the use of cookies yet continue using the site. That seems to go against GDPR.

Message 1 of 40
39 REPLIES 39
Square

@RyanWright @UK-resident @eric_shawn @SBband @gipsie

Hi there. I noticed that there may have been some changes made to the Settings page in the editor. Not sure if anyone noticed this..

Message 41 of 40

Hi @Bernadette

Thanks for pointing out the update. I am happy to see that the cookie banner is editable now, though there are text limitations. I managed to squeeze in under the limit, but it's not 100% ideal. But better.

Reference for our site: https://www.turnipseedtravel.com

I also wanted to point out what I think is a cookie banner that could very well be emulated by you guys for content. I'd love to have a privacy / cookie pop up mimicking this page:

https://www.blackboxdesign.co.uk/privacy-policy/

Message 41 of 40

@Bernadette Yes, i have noticed recent changes, thank you Smiley Happy
But there still isn't an option to disable the banner, so that people can provide their own notifications/technologies, also there is a character limit for the cookie text, and the cookie opt-opt text also isnt editable...

Message 41 of 40
Square

You're refering to the cookie opt-out element, right, @gpn?

Message 41 of 40

Correct @Adam

Message 41 of 40
Square

Ok, thanks for clarifying. I'm not sure whether we intend on making that editable but I'll see if I can find out.

Message 41 of 40

On my successvideos.ie this is what is my cookie policy shows:

"This site uses cookies to personalize your experience, analyze site usage, and offer tailored promotions. www.youronlinechoices.eu"

I want the cookie policy to have a link from "Cookie Policy" and not to show and to not show the url as is shown on Weebly's site.

On my successpartners.ie site I have no cookie policy anymore. I had one before. I have republished, re freshed etc etc but still no policy. What is going on?

Message 41 of 40

@Julles you can change the link "ww.youronlinechoices.eu" and point to your own cookie policy. You can make the change in the settings under General.  

Btw. the weebly notification only shows up random and not all the time, even after a site refresh. And it is only on the start page Smiley Happy

Message 41 of 40
Square

You can change the URL used in the popup on the Settings tab, @Julles. As for your other site, the banners should appear again after an hour has passed provided you didn't click the "accept" button.

Message 41 of 40

Hello again, the date is Tue. 29th May. I'm not really sure if I'm doing this right - i.e. replying to myself but I can't see how to supply a new post/thought. Question:- Would it possible that Kudos be awarded (if necessary) after all this is finished - i.e. when things get fixed/job done - it seems to me that time is being wasted. Please, please, may we just concentrate on the job at hand - i.e. getting my website ( sorry, and others? ) to work like they used to. Many thanks for reading this. Kindest regards, xxx
Message 41 of 40
Square

@UK-resident I can't find any support requests from you. Were you able to log into your account okay? 

Message 41 of 40

Good morning, Sentry protection is still appearing at the top of some pages (Members area)  - e.g. the news page, Military Records,  some BMD's witrhin that section and one of the most important parts of our site and is the crux of all our work the Trek.  Also page 404 comes up instead of the photo gallery - it is not all working the way it it did last Thursday.  Please what is happening? Thank you

Message 41 of 40

Dear Weebly , I have just looked at one page in the photo gallery and the banner for I accept appear 3 times  all the top on the Weebly site - the same is happening on the News Page - I presume this is why nothing is working properly.  I will not go through every page - I would like my website to work the way it did last Thueday please. Thank you.

30th May 2018

Message 41 of 40

Dear Bernadette, I have just sent a message via the Weebly Help Desk (on the website) requesting continuing assistance.  I mistakenly thought this platform was where I had ask questions etc.  I now realise my mistake, thank you for pointing it out. Kind regards

Message 41 of 40

@Bernadette@Adam: The cookie banner is still not GDPR compliant

I cannot position the banner in a way that is highly visible to my users. It is in plain text, at the bottom of the main page and disappears if navigated away from. Yes, it might re-appear after an hour or so, but that's beside the point and doesn't address the concern. When will this be fixed? If it will not be fixed, when can we turn it off completely to code an actual GDPR compliant cookie notification?

Here is a screengrab from our site, using IE. Notice that the browser itself sends up a warning message on the lower part of the screen that would completely obscure the cookie banner you have force-placed there. No way to offer active, affirmative consent in that instance. Again, NOT GDPR COMPLIANT.

Note: I didn't bother going through the hassle of deleting cookies and turning worldwide notification on (as opposed to EU only) to regenerate the cookie banner. But you get the point. 

Note 2: I didn't notice until just now, but the photo used on the page seemingly pointing directly to the footer was a funny, and unintentional coincidence.

Message 41 of 40

I think the browser pop up is a thing the user has to solve and no site owner can do something against client problems. Sure i now the problems with the banner and also use a additional one, but i think the i.e. pop up is no problem. It is like a user uses a browser which covers the half site and now want to harm you for not bringing up a work around for this. But yes, it would be great to select the sice and position of the banner.   

Message 41 of 40
Square

We're happy to help here in Community, @UK-resident, although for some issues it's best to go to our Customer Success team. If you have questions about how to use our features or seek other advice, feel free to post again.

Message 41 of 40

@Adam @Bernadette

It really seems like Weebly engineers and development don't have a clue or you all just don't care anymore.... Countless posts on the SAME issues yet it still is not addressed. What are you all doing? Why does it take feedback post after feedback post for you all to see that theres real issues? 

Weebly has account login for it's customers (i.e people who pay weebly for their service) yet customers who shop on weebly hosted websites don't have the luxury of an account with all their info.. where did the ball get dropped? It's 2018.. what website doesn't have user accounts? Toys R Us? oh.. wait.. They went out of business.. 

Please weebly wake up and listen.. We are the reason your company is where it is.. its time you actually listened to us for a change...

Fix the cookie banners, actually do your job for a change... 

Message 41 of 40

One year later, and still no reasonable result for customers like us who keeps paying, for this kinda support.

Hope I can tell different later on (Next year -.o)

Message 41 of 40