x

Slow Loading Websites

I got a problem with my website. I was having some problems with SEO and did some analyses with Google, Woorank and hired an SEO company. I had two major problems.

1) the website didn't have a declared language. I am able to take care of that, but you would think that with a website builder, that should have a built in 1 click option for that.

2) This is the big one, the opne that will likely cause me to abandon Weebly. My website is loading to slowly. I have a business plan, so I am a paying customer, and my website is loading slowly, to the point that not pnly is it affecting my SEO rank, but even my google adowrds is penalizing me with a bad "landing page experience"

There are a few things that can be causing this, some of it, is the way that the themes were built. The other problem is that it is likely that Weebly is overloading their servers.

With a woprdpress theme, there are programs you can run to optimize the speed. With Weebly those tools aren't available, and some of the code can even be modified (that is what my wife tells me, she is a computer programmer).

This wasn't always a problem, I ran a test on my site abouyt a year ago and all was good. Since then I have upgraded to one of the newer themes, althoug I suspect that the new theme alone is nbot the culprit, and slow overloaded servers are a factor.

Anone else here havong this problem, and any ideas short of switching hosted providers?

Message 1 of 85
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

I seem to recall someone else who had the McAfee app having some trouble with slowness, and removing it made a big difference. I'm sure if you remove that it'll greatly improve things for you.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 85
84 REPLIES 84
Square

How many large images were you trying to have on a page? Were these background images for different sections?

Message 19 of 85

Good luck. Mine has been that way forever. Weebly is slow, and they are either disinterested or incapable of making sites that load at normal speeds.

Message 19 of 85

I have the same problem and Weebly looked at my site, said they do not see any issue and they can't do anything. Will not recommend them to anyone until this is figured out.

Message 19 of 85

I am also having issues with website slowness and considering changing host providers.  DYG Coaching  Google recommends browser caching, gzip compression, etc.  When will these features be available on the Weebly platform?

Message 25 of 85
Square

Your site loaded quick for me over wifi on my laptop, @Mary1. Google's recommendations can have an effect on speed but they aren't necessary to have a site that loads efficiently. I don't really see anything about your site that should make it load particularly slow. Do you find that it's always slow, or does it seem slower at particular times of the day?

Message 25 of 85

It seems to me that Weebly are deliberately ignoring the problem that everyone is complaining about which is NOT how fast the page opens for a user but how the speed effects our Google rankings. I am looking to build two more websites and was also looking for a LMS but will not be using Weebly when they ignore this fundamental and serious problem.

Below is a performance summary of my website - how can this be looked at as anything but a poor performance speed.

Message 25 of 85
Square

We are working on some of the recommendations that Google provides in their reports, although I don't know how long it would take to complete that or which ones would be tackled. Those recommendations definitely help improve speed, but their impact on site speed is no where near as impactful as the content you have on your site itself. If you keep the amount of content on any single page to an appropriate level then the page will load quickly whether these points are changed or not.

Message 25 of 85

Hello. Re: appropriate level of content on a page. Can you say more about what's the right amount vs too much? Our website has ongoing issues with timing out since updating template.

thanks for any help.

Message 25 of 85

Message 25 of 85
Square

Since you are using CloudFlare you might want to contact them about your site, @cindy2. It seems like the delay in loading is in resolving the domain name, which happens first before actually downloading any content from our servers.

Message 25 of 85

I am having all the same issues as above people see below from Google :

Eliminate render-blocking JavaScript and CSS in above-the-fold content Avoid landing page redirects Enable compression Leverage browser caching Minify JavaScript

No idea how to fix and it is causing SEO to be impacted which is relaly anoying as I work on content and on page SEO as much as I can but just cant get tot he top of Google for such a niche industry:

Main key long tail word: timber frame builders Perth.

Are we going to be notified when Weebly fixes all these issues? I am considering moving to Wordpress for better SEO.

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks Jane

Message 25 of 85

Hello Weebly community- ny updates on this? I uderstand this is slowing down my website a lot and is making me want to consider other webite builders or Wordpress.

Message 25 of 85
Square

I haven't heard about any updates on this yet, unfortunately. I did the search you mentioned in your older post and saw that your site is listed on the first page of results. That's really good considering that particular search returned more than 5 million results!

Message 25 of 85

I am having similar problems, and similar results when I test my website through GT metrix. My problem is that when I load my site on my phone using mobile data speed, it takes a long time to load. I have asked friends to do the same and the same thing happens. My pages seemed to slow down when I had added the socia media links ap , I have since removed it but my wesite still loads very slowly. Over internet its OK. But I imagine I am losing much business as I wouldnt wait  so long for a page to load, let alone browse the site when each page take for ever to load. my site is www.nutritionedge.co.nz

Message 25 of 85
Square

Hi @rahstis I just tested your site on my mobile device using my data and I was able to load all of the pages instantly. When you say you've had your friends test are they using the same mobile service as you? 

Message 25 of 85

I've been reading through these threads, and all i see from Weebly employees is that they intentionally playing stupid, or are utterly clueless as to the problems most are having. Google ranks websites based on their load speed, the slower you load, the worse you rank. This effects both your Organic rankings in search, and your adwords campaign. To comment that you still see the site ranking in Adwords (as another Weebly Employee did) is irrelevent. Google will still show the ad, but it will cost you more money. Google has a system were they place ads in adwords based on price you are willing to pay, and site quality, the worse the site quality, the more you have to pay. The low quality of Weebly sites is costing customers money.

The idea that you can test the load speed on your phone is laughable. Google measure pages in terms of milliseconds, not something you would pick up from looking at it on the web. Finally, blaming the amount of content is also just wrong. I have seen far more complex websites with complex graphics and videos do just fine with Google

Message 25 of 85

True, they can't seem to be able to acknowledge that the problem is with Weebly.
Message 25 of 85
Square

Hi @hafsah If you post a link to your site we can take a look and let you know if there's anything in particular that might be causing a slow load time. Thanks! 

Message 25 of 85

Message 25 of 85
Square

Thanks, @hafsah. Your site loaded right away for me.. Is it the home page with the blog posts that are slow loading for you, or a different page? I don't see anything right away that would cause a slow load time but I'll keep looking around for you. Smiley Happy 

Message 25 of 85

Hi Bernadette,

Maybe the slow loading is due to my internet, but according to performance reports like this one https://gtmetrix.com/reports/hafsascreativecorner.weebly.com/VR13tvvD my loading speed is still quite slow and I'm not sure how to fix the recommendations.

Message 25 of 85