x

Slow Loading Websites

I got a problem with my website. I was having some problems with SEO and did some analyses with Google, Woorank and hired an SEO company. I had two major problems.

1) the website didn't have a declared language. I am able to take care of that, but you would think that with a website builder, that should have a built in 1 click option for that.

2) This is the big one, the opne that will likely cause me to abandon Weebly. My website is loading to slowly. I have a business plan, so I am a paying customer, and my website is loading slowly, to the point that not pnly is it affecting my SEO rank, but even my google adowrds is penalizing me with a bad "landing page experience"

There are a few things that can be causing this, some of it, is the way that the themes were built. The other problem is that it is likely that Weebly is overloading their servers.

With a woprdpress theme, there are programs you can run to optimize the speed. With Weebly those tools aren't available, and some of the code can even be modified (that is what my wife tells me, she is a computer programmer).

This wasn't always a problem, I ran a test on my site abouyt a year ago and all was good. Since then I have upgraded to one of the newer themes, althoug I suspect that the new theme alone is nbot the culprit, and slow overloaded servers are a factor.

Anone else here havong this problem, and any ideas short of switching hosted providers?

Message 1 of 85
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

I seem to recall someone else who had the McAfee app having some trouble with slowness, and removing it made a big difference. I'm sure if you remove that it'll greatly improve things for you.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 85
84 REPLIES 84

Yes I have the exact same problem.  I am using a newer responsive theme.  Google speedtest is telling me there is a lot of css loading, and I should streamline it to what I need only, and defer load the rest.  It's not easy to do with weebly themes.  Also I use membership and there is extra css for that taking time.

They need to definitely offer some "fast-loading" themes.  I too, am on the business plan, and am being penalized for slow mobile performance.

Message 64 of 85

I'm also experiencing difficulties with page speed insights results - not able to get a higher score than 36 on mobile and 88 on desktop. Desktop is fine, but mobile is pretty bad.... And since something like 80% of internet users are on mobiles this is essential to improve. I have implemented as much of the page speed insights feedback as I can - using async/defer tags, saving images optimally, implementing lazy load for images, and removing Weebly apps (bar the Ecwid app) but I still cannot seem to get a higher score than 36 since there seem to be a lot of Weebly assets/resources that I cannot adjust which are slowing things down:

https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.reclaimdesign.org&tab=...

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated Smiley Happy

Message 64 of 85
Super Seller

@Adam  My customers have been reporting incredibly long load times for some time now.  Google page insights shows some opportunities, but all of those images have been in place for a long time, definitely preceding the site slowing down.  What steps can I take, that you see?

https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.beautymarxmed.com

Message 64 of 85
Square

Hi @bmarx Do you recall anything different about the website since the reports started? It does appear that there's a pretty big hit from third party resources, but it's hard to say if that's the only reason for the lag. I think it might help if you make a copy of your site, then remove all third party code and slowly add them back in while running new tests on Google. You can publish to a Weebly subdomain so that you're running a live version of the copy. You'll also want to make sure to change the theme of the copy site to a standard Weebly theme. It looks like your site is on a custom theme which can also cause loading delays. To make a copy of the site, click on the three dots to the right of Edit Site on the main dashboard page. You'll see the option to copy. Smiley Happy Let us know if you need help with this. 

Message 64 of 85

I had to delete all my sites design as weebly could not load it quickly.

I created a website with just one home page and nothing on it and it still loads slowly for mobile.

Weebly this is your problem. I have made over 100 websites on Weebly but it seems to be getting worse on many fronts.

Childish pawn off answers from staff. Look at what Google is telling us, it's theme related.

https://www.powerwalsh.ie/

Try this on Google speed test:

It shows mistakes. This is just a splash page so should load a lot faster.

Third-party code can significantly impact load performance. Limit the number of redundant third-party providers and try to load third-party code after your page has primarily finished loading. Learn more.

Third-PartySizeMain-Thread Blocking Time

Weebly
383 KB
341 ms
Google CDN
33 KB
84 ms
Google Analytics
36 KB
16 ms
Google/Doubleclick Ads
1 KB
0 ms
Message 68 of 85

I am facing similar issue with my weebly website www.outlife.in , Even after using cloudflare, optimizing images, removing all 3rd party scripts my weebly site loads slowly. I had even reduced the images and text on home page however no significant improvement.
This is a weebly issue as it has many scripts that slow down the website.

This issue has affected my mobile seo rankings significantly and is hurting business.
Message 68 of 85
Square

I was able to load your site instantly, although I do see there is embedded code or altered css/html to the theme. Is there a particular page that you find is loading slow? 

Message 68 of 85

Hello...

I'm getting warnings from several SEO analyser sites that I have slow page loads: 

https://www.elitewindowinstallations.com/

I'm worried that effects my google ranking...

Any advice very welcome... thank you!

Message 71 of 85
Square

Those sites are not always accurate. There's so many factors that go into SEO rankings, and since you are using our older editor I recommend checking out our informative SEO guide

Message 71 of 85

Hi,

I've been testing my site loading speeds and it is really slow....wondering if anyone can tell me what I'm doing wrong? It only scores 28 on google's page speed test!

www.enhanceosteopathy.com.au

Many thanks

Message 71 of 85
Square

Hi @Osteoblog Your site is loading fast for me. I've read online that those speed tests are not always accurate, and I would only be concerned if you or others are having trouble loading the site. That said, I believe the test should give you some examples of what is loading slowly as well as a suggestion for how to fix. Some of the suggestions may not be possible through Weebly, but if you want to post a screenshot of your results we can take a look and see if there's any work around we can suggest. Thanks!

Message 71 of 85

Hi, its mostly the tests on the mobile site that are slow.

I'm not sure how to copy the results, but here is the link

https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.enhanceosteopathy.com....

Looks like unused java script issues:

154 KiB
97.8 KiB
143.3 KiB
96.4 KiB

And render blocking issues:

Eliminate render-blocking resources

1.87 s

Resources are blocking the first paint of your page. Consider delivering critical JS/CSS inline and deferring all non-critical JS/styles. 

URLTransfer SizePotential Savings

/css/sites.css?buildTime=159…
(cdn2.editmysite.com)
29.6 KiB
1,980 ms
…old/fancybox.css?159…
(cdn2.editmysite.com)
1.7 KiB
930 ms
2.2 KiB
930 ms
5.5 KiB
480 ms
/css?family=…
(fonts.googleapis.com)
1.4 KiB
780 ms
1.3 KiB
780 ms
/css?family=…
(fonts.googleapis.com)
1.5 KiB
930 ms
…1.8.3/jquery.min.js
(ajax.googleapis.com)
33.5 KiB
2,130 ms
…en/stl.js?buildTime=159…&
(cdn2.editmysite.com)
29.2 KiB
1,980 ms
143.3 KiB
3,030 ms
Message 71 of 85
Square

editmysite.com is our editor url. Some of the resources on the live site use the url, so it's not possible to remove them. I did notice your site is using a custom theme, however I'm not sure if any of those edits would make an impact. You can try copying the site and then changing the copy site to a standard Weebly theme to test, but again, I'm not sure if it will make any impact. For what it's worth, I loaded your site on my iPhone with wifi and data in multiple browsers and it loaded immediately. Have you tried using any other type of speed test to see if the results are the same? 

Message 71 of 85

Hi, thank for taking the time to answer.

From having a look around this forum it seems the mobile loading times are poor all round. Initial server response times are consistantly over 1.5 seconds and as you say the editmysite stuff is super slow, but I gather that's been a long term problem for all your users that the techs haven't fixed so guess I will just have to deal...that is wee bit disappointing from a customer viewpoint however, so if you have any further suggestions that would be ace! 

I haven't changed very much in the theme, mostly taking out blog pages that were duplicating content, and I am using default fonts etc. As I mentioned in another post you replied to I think the font coding is an issue which needs fixing on your end for the cento theme. Is it possible to check that for me?

Thanks

Message 71 of 85

@ Bernadette Google AMP would help A LOT as its mostly mobile sites...any plans for weebly to add it ever? I know I've seen enquiries in the community pages dating back to 2016

Message 71 of 85

I have developed over 20 sites using Weebly.  My load tests are good EXCEPT for items I have NO control over.  But since the Square acquistion, Weebly is focused on eCommerce.  No new themes, no new anything - except if it pertains to a store.  Here's a great review of one of my sites.

• Too bad, your website has too many CSS files.
  • Too bad, your webbsite has too many JavaScrip files.
  • Too bad, your website is using nested tables.
  • Too bad, your website is using inline styles

Editmysite also slows everything down.

Message 71 of 85

Hi,

One colleague of mine, based in Ghana, is saying that my new website won't load for her on any device. Many others have successfully loaded my site on various devices. Do you know what the problem is here?

The site is anamzafar.com.

Many thanks,

Anam

Message 71 of 85
Square

We block traffic to some countries for security reasons, so I don't think there is a way for someone in Ghana to view a site built through us, @anam101.

Message 71 of 85

Mine is so slow to load on a mobile phone that even I give up. It is having a major impact on my business and goodle ranking. I pay for the Business package. Can someone tell me if it is a simple fix like the template? I have replaced every image on the website with a lower res one and it doesn't seem to have helped. address is www.compostcommunity.com.au 

Message 82 of 85

Adam did not address any of the questions you asked.

Message 82 of 85

Yes, my site is very slow to load too.

There's some tips below but it is beyond my control to do this. 

Can Weebly help please?????

Trying to contact anyone at Weebly is impossible........???

The first step to improving server response times is to identify the core conceptual tasks that your server must complete in order to return page content, and then measure how long each of these tasks takes. Once you've identified the longest tasks, search for ways to speed them up.

There are many possible causes of slow server responses, and therefore many possible ways to improve:

• Optimize the server's application logic to prepare pages faster. If you use a server framework, the framework may have recommendations on how to do this.
  • Optimize how your server queries databases, or migrate to faster database systems.
  • Upgrade your server hardware to have more memory or CPU.

Hope to hear back.

Thanks,

May

Message 82 of 85