x
Beta Member

ADDING E-COMMERCE TO PRE AQUSITION WEEBLY WEBSITE

Hi Everyone. I have had a Weebly site for several years now as an info site really but now I want to sell from it.

I read Square had acquired Weebly and offers e-commerce for them so I thought I will go to square and see how and proceeded to go through the motions of linking the two FROM THE SQUARE SITE.

Simultaneously while doing the above I was setting up a store on my Weebly site (the existing one)  via the (store) tab at the top of my Weebly site editor. In the overview tab (to the left) "Get started selling—finish setting up your shop!" everything has a green checkmark except taxes which I have not set up yet. I went through all off these on the Weebly site NOT on the Square site.

After going through the prompted steps on SQUARE and it telling me, congratulations they are linked, it brought me to the "ONLINE" Section of my Square page where there was a button labeled "EDIT MY SITE". After hitting that button and thinking it will take me to my EXSISTING SITE it prompted me to select a theme. I looked at the URL of the page and it is the same as my existing site so I thought wait something is not right and exited out. 

What is going on here? My fear it is asking me to create a completely new site from scratch again. Is this necessary? What is the difference between the "store" tab on my Weebly editor and the "online" section of square? 

All I was trying to do was set up a few products on my site that would use Square to process the payment of. Thank you for any help. 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for reaching out, @PIZZADUDE67 👋

You will need to create a brand new Square Online website after connecting your original Weebly site to Square. The good news is that all of the work you put into the backend store settings will be available with the website. 

Depending on how "edited" your original site is, you may find it more convenient to just use the new Square Online website as the store page. The new editor is a bit limited as far as customizations go, so a lot of sellers choose to keep the original Weebly site active, create a one-page store site with the new editor, then link the two sites in the navigation. From the customer end, it will appear that it is all the same website, if that makes sense. 

Can you post a link to your current website so we can take a look at the settings? 

Thanks in advance! 

p.s. Welcome to the Seller Community 🎉

Message 2 of 2