x

"Card on file" for no-show protection?

Hi im in the salon & spa industry & we deal with no-shows quite often & currently use square invoice to collect no-show fees. however clients can choose not to pay so its really not the best way to protect your business against no-shows. I am interested in the Card on File feature but i am wondering about gratuity and no-show protection 

Message 1 of 62
1 Verified Answer
Tom
Verified Answer

Re: "Card on file" for no-show protection?

Hey @HollyA, thanks for bringing this up!

My best suggestion for no-shows is to go with Square Appointments and set up a cancellation policy. When you create your cancellation policy, you can require that a credit card be used to book online and set the expectation that your customer will be charged a cancelation fee if they do not show up.

Check out our Support Center for specifics, and let us know if you have any other questions! Hope this helps. 🙂

1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

My best suggestion for no-shows is to go with Square Appointments and set up a cancellation policy. When you create your cancellation policy, you can require that a credit card be used to book online and set the expectation that your customer will be charged a cancelation fee if they do not show up.

Check out our Support Center for specifics, and let us know if you have any other questions! Hope this helps. 🙂

Tom [he/him]
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 62
61 REPLIES 61

love hair 

Message 2 of 62
Admin

Best Answer

Tom [he/him]

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 62

I love that feature, but if I schedule their next appointment...it doensn't save their original card right? Only if they book it themselves? Is there a way to save it so when I book their next appointment before they leave, will it transfer?

Message 4 of 62
Square

Hi @ShainaAronowitz. We don't currently offer this functionality, but I can definitely see how it would be useful. It's nice to offer the white glove service and schedule your customers, but you still want that No Show Protection. The only workaround that I can think about would be if you added their card on file using Customer Directory. You could then charge their card using Square Point of Sale if they didn't show up. It would be a bit of workaround though, nothing automated like No-Show Protection.  

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 5 of 62

You can save a credit card on file at checkout with square register. 

Message 6 of 62

You can save the card number but the client can remove it and the appointment is still there.  The clients in my area know this trick and make appointments around town and go to the most convenient appointment. 

Message 7 of 62

I have two jobs.  I cannot keep up with two different calendars (appointment books) as they would frequently overlap and that would be a nightmare.  Can we not just use Square Invoicing for prepayment?  What happens if someone cancels in less than 24-hours (or a no-show) and they try to do a chargeback?  Are we protected?

Message 8 of 62
Admin

Hey @BrandiThomasLMT, welcome to the seller community!

At this time, we aren't able to support pre-authorizing payment cards or collecting security deposits. While these requests are not on the Square Appointments roadmap, I will be flagging your experience with our Product Liaison team.

As a workaround, you might want to consider using the location option for your two jobs: Square Appointments for Multiple Locations. Hope this helps clear things up!

Tom [he/him]
Message 9 of 62

Is there a way to collect card information for booking all appointments, in case of a no-show, not just online appointments? 

Message 10 of 62
Admin

@AlyssaEaster that is a great question! Currently we don't have this feature, but I think it would be great! I will make sure to share this feedback with our product team! 

Please let me know if you have any other questions or suggestions! 😃

Message 11 of 62

YES PLEASE!  That would be so helpful in the beauty industry!

Message 12 of 62

I have been waiting for this functionality. I have on-line booking for my clients. However a majority of them still like to call and book their appointments. I would like to be able to require a credit card for every appointment. If I can do it through appointments, I feel confident that their CC info is safe. If I have to acquire their CC info and keep it on file manually, there is more of a chance that their CC info may be comprimised. This functionality should be high on the list abd quite frankly, I am surprised it isn't available yet. 

Message 13 of 62
Square Community Moderator

Hey @JHelwig!

You actually can do this through the cancellation policy through the app where it requires the customer to store the credit card information to book the appointment. It will charge them automatically if they no show. 

Check out our Support Center for specifics, and let us know if you have any other questions! Hope this helps. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 14 of 62

Im not talking about people who book online. I'm talking about a client who calls me to book the appointment directly. We should be able to take a cc through the app.
Message 15 of 62

@JHelwig Ah! Our apologies for the confusion there. The Point of Sale checkout screen is actually integrated into the Appointments app now as well so you can manually enter a payment from the Checkout screen from the menu. 

Before you would have to toggle between the apps but that is actually in there now.

Ashley C
Message 16 of 62

Is there an option for me to set up the exact day and staff member to deliver the service and then sending a link where the client has to finish the set up by adding his card?

Message 17 of 62

@90milestattoos - ah, I like your thinking. This would work if checkout links could be created with services, but at the moment, checkout links can only be created for items. What you're looking to accomplish is not doable with Appointments. 

Justin
Message 18 of 62

I just found out even if you requested them to save the card online for protection that they can go back in take it off file. Which can cause a dispute if you charge them when they dont show up. How do you avoid this from happening?

Message 19 of 62

Welcome back to the Community, @Beautynpassion8

If your customers make the appointment with a credit or debit card - they aren't able to delete it from the appointment. The only time a customer can delete their card is on their Customer Profile. You are still protected and you can still charge the "no-show" protection fee. 

Kassi
Message 20 of 62

I understand what you are thinking but it has happened to me. I have seen the cards not show up after they booked the appointment right in front of me and the card did not show up. Also how are we supposed to charge the card if it’s no longer on file. With the no show if there isn’t a card there it’s no way to charge them. 

Message 21 of 62