x
Admin

๐Ÿ—บ๏ธ How to Sort Retail vs Services Sales (and more!) using Category Rollups on Square Appointments

Hey everyone โœจ!

Weโ€™ve recently brought the Category Rollups feature that used to only be available to Square for Restaurants users over to Square Appointments Plus and Premium subscribers. This unlocks a bunch of cool opportunities for beauty sellers so I wanted to take a second to highlight one way to use it that should help alleviate a common request Iโ€™ve heard from sellers โ€” the ability to split your category or item sales reports by retail sales vs service sales when you already have other categories being used. 

In order to set this up:

• Go to your category sales report by going to your Dashboard > Reports > Category Sales
  • Click the Rollups button
  • Name your first Rollup โ€œretailโ€ (or whatever else you want to call it)
  • Select all of your categories that contain retail items
    • If you donโ€™t already have categories for all of your items and services you may need to create those categories which you can do here
  • Click Create a Category Rollup
  • Repeat this process naming your second rollup โ€œservicesโ€ (or whatever else you want to call it)
  • Now you can filter and arrange data on the category sales report and item sales report by your new Retail and Services category rollups. 

If you have any feedback related to this or if there is another appointments or beauty specific reports or reporting feature you'd love to see us work on, let us know in the comment! 

Tra
Community Engagement Program Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Super Seller

@tranguyen 

For the Category Sales report, it would be nice to have a column for Profit Margin. 

I also exported to Excel to calculate how much each Category Rollup was as a percent of revenues. 

Message 2 of 6
Square

Thanks for the feedback @TCSlaguna ! Can you talk to me more about the column you'd want for profit margin? Would that only be for retail items or for services as well? How would you think about calculating it? 

Message 3 of 6
Super Seller

Hi @BrettA 

Good question.

I think Profit Margin for retail items is straight forward, the system has that in place already.

For our services, we have programmed in Appointments that the service providers get __% commission on their services. So I think it could be based off that. 

Parties on the other hand, that's a little trickier. 

However, keep in mind that Category Rollup does not have to necessarily be based on Retail vs Services. People could have it based on Perishable Goods vs Nonperishable Goods, or whatever other random thing they decide. So having profit margins available will help sellers who use Category Rollups across retail items. 

Please let me know if you have any further questions. 

Message 4 of 6
Square

Awesome, yes, all of this makes perfect sense. Appreciate the insight/feedback @TCSlaguna !

Message 5 of 6
Super Seller

Ooh this is great! Iโ€™m going to give it a  try x x 

Message 6 of 6