x

Afterpay Integration

Super Seller

Afterpay Integration

I know a lot of our fellow Aussie businesses are keen for better Afterpay integration into Square, like us.

In case anyone hasn't seen it, Afterpay is launching a new card feature for their customers, which means they should be able to just tap on the Square Reader / Terminal without us having to use the Merchant Portal anymore.

I assume this will just present as a regular debit card transaction in Square.

And if you didn't know already, ZipPay also already offers this feature which is natively supported by Apple Pay too like a regular bank card.

More here: https://help.afterpay.com/hc/en-au/articles/900003733466-Afterpay-Card-Launching-in-Australia-in-202...

0 Likes
10 Comments
Admin

@dieterslicke thanks for the heads up!

This is a really interesting development - I certainly hope this means that Square Sellers will be able to accept AfterPay payments via Apple/GPay/MasterCard, which Square readers support. I'm cautiously optimistic and am keen to learn more about this and whether it'll work with Square readers.

So long as AfterPay cards are tied to a form of payment we support then I don't see why it wouldn't work. It looks like Zip Pay are teaming up with Visa too - it's possible BNPL platform integrations may become a thing of the past if they end up routing through card networks.

I'm sure we'll find out soon in any case! I'll be keeping a very close eye on this and will update our AfterPay feature request thread once I'm able to confirm.

Thanks again for sharing this!

Hi All

Has anyone actually been successful in integrating the Afterpay card with the square reader? I have had NO success and Afterpya IS USELESS at helping. They keep saying they need my Square Acquirer Merchant ID to make it work. I have spoken to Square and they dont see to know what an Acquirer merchant ID is, but Afterpay is insiting I need one to integrate with the square reader. 

Please help. I have been at this issue for over a month. 

Admin

EDIT 02/08/2021: Square has just announced plans to acquire Afterpay. While we don't have integration timelines to share at the moment, read our update for more!

--------

Hey @melsilva,

Thanks for reaching out!

At the moment there's no official integration between Square and Afterpay. 

I have heard from some sellers that Afterpay have a non official process in place where they can get this working in some cases, though it appears to be a workaround on their end. We hope to be able to get something more official in place in the future, however for the moment it's not something Square is able to do.

Sorry I can't be of more help here for now!

Any idea when Afterpay and zippay will be interested ?  I am loosing customers 

Square Community Moderator

Hey @Jfagan,

Thanks for getting in touch and welcome to the Seller Community 😊

While we don't have a date to share at the moment, Square's Integration with Afterpay is currently in the works! You can find out more about Square's recent acquisition of Afterpay here

If you're looking to accept the new Afterpay Card in store, you can get in touch with Afterpay support, who may have a workaround to the card working with Square card readers. In store payments with ZipPay's Pay&Zip card are currently supported as well. 

Any update on this? Considering Square has aquired afterpay surely there is now a way to integrate 

We're working on it @creekandbay! The closing of the acquisition is expected in the first quarter of 2022. We'll keep you updated on the integration in this thread. 

PS. I noticed it's your first post, welcome to our community 👋 🙂

Beta Member

Details are up now! It looks like it wil be effective from the 11th of February. I’m not sure how much extra the fee is to accept AfterPay, if there is one!

https://squareup.com/au/en/legal/general/afterpay-merchant-terms

Hi @fotomarc,

Thanks for reaching out! We'll have more info on pricing shortly, but it looks like Afterpay's standard fees will apply. We'll keep you updated here. 

I am seeing 6% + 0.30, I am not likely to offer afterpay to customers if I am being charged such an exorbitant fee.