x

Is it possible for the processing fee to be charge separately instead of deducted from sale?

We import sales direct into Quickbooks from an industry specific POS system.  With Square deducting the processing fee directly from the sale amount, I can't keep my books balanced.  Example, can a $1.00 sale be a $1.00 credit and a $.03 debit vs. a $.97 credit?

Thanks, Scott

Message 1 of 13
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hello @capefearglass, thanks for bringing this up and sorry to hear about the trouble this is causing.

At this time, we aren't able to separate the fee as a debit from the total amount of the sale as you've described, but I will certainly run this by our Product Liaison team for further review.

If you haven't already, you might want touch base with QuickBooks to see if there's any other assistance they can offer that might help make balancing books easier.

Thank you for your patience as we're constantly working to improve our products based on seller feedback, and please don't hesitate to reply with any other questions!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Admin

Best Answer

Hello @capefearglass, thanks for bringing this up and sorry to hear about the trouble this is causing.

At this time, we aren't able to separate the fee as a debit from the total amount of the sale as you've described, but I will certainly run this by our Product Liaison team for further review.

If you haven't already, you might want touch base with QuickBooks to see if there's any other assistance they can offer that might help make balancing books easier.

Thank you for your patience as we're constantly working to improve our products based on seller feedback, and please don't hesitate to reply with any other questions!

️ Tom | he/him
Message 2 of 13

This is what is keeping me from moving to Square right now.  My books are a mess with Stripe because of this same issue.  I ceratinly hope this issue addressed.  There is a lot of opportunity to steal customers from Stripe if you are the first ones to solve this issue. 

Message 3 of 13
Square Community Moderator

@elephantmkg Thanks for sharing as well 👍🏼

Keep an eye out for updates going forward. 

Message 4 of 13

If you implement this, please make it optional.  I'm coming from Elavon which does bill fees separately at the end of the month.  For those of us who do not invoice, it makes things so much easier to get "net" deposits.  My income is what is deposited and I no longer have to deal with that separate expense.

Message 5 of 13

This is a big problem for all Square users.  To accurately account for merchant processing expenses, this requires accountants to do manual entries to correct the deposit.  I would highly suggest Square revisit this process.  All other merchant processors separate the fees from the transaction to allow for accurate accounting.

Message 6 of 13
Square Community Moderator

@SHSMC Thanks for sharing your feedback with this. It's not something that's currently on our roadmap, but I'll pass your interest in this to our Product Team.

Note that you're able to view your transaction fees from your Square Dashboard through both your Sales Summary and also your Transactions Report. 

If anything changes, we'll update everyone 👍🏼

Message 7 of 13

Any movement on this?  This messes up the accounting terribly.  If you have 5 items on an invoice, the easiest way to record it requires the fee to be taken out of the total of one of your items - which means that item is recorded with the wrong price.  I'm sure there's a complicated accounting workaround, but we don't have the time or expertise for that.  These posts are from a couple of years ago...

Message 8 of 13
Admin

Hi @JADesigns, thank you for checking in here. I went to look for updates and there aren't any specific details for a change in pricing/fee structure that I can access or share out right now.

I would like to surface some additional insight with our Invoices Team. Can you reply with a bit more information on the kinds of products/services you're including with your invoices and/or why it's important for your business to factor in card processing fees into each item? This will help us get a better handle on how this issue may be impacting both buyers and sellers.

In addition, you might find a solution with one of our accounting service partners. For more details, have a look at the App Marketplace.

I'll keep an eye out for your reply. Appreciate your patience and let us know if any other questions come up!

️ Tom | he/him
Message 9 of 13

We are not looking for a change in the pricing/fee structure.  We are just looking for the fees to be charged separately from the item like Quickbooks does.  Quickbooks charges the fees at the end of the month as a standalone item.

We don't want to factor in card processing fees with each item.  We are just forced to because when we enter a transaction, the fee is already taken out.  So instead of say entering +$100, -$3, we have to enter it at $97, which does not accurately reflect that it was $100 for a product and minus $3 for a service fee.  It just looks like the product was $97 with no service fee.

Again, I'm not interested in adding on another app or trying to figure out the accounting.  It will be just easier to transition to another service if Square can't do this.  Thanks.

Message 10 of 13
Admin

Got it—thanks for the clarification. I'll make sure our Invoices Team sees your post for further consideration and point out an opportunity to help streamline this workflow. In the meantime, the full sales amounts display on the Transactions and Sales Summary tabs—hopefully those figures help surface the information you need.

We'll announce any updates. Please do keep in touch and let us know if any other questions come up.

️ Tom | he/him
Message 11 of 13

I would also like for the processing fee to be charged to me separately, instead of deducted immediately from the sale. I have a separate bank account for income and one for expenses and it would be way easier to keep my numbers and accounting straight if the processing fee was taken out separately, and preferably from my 2nd bank account which i would also like to link to my square account. 

Message 12 of 13
Beta Member

I don't know if this is any help but it seems like if you have to modify each sale wouldn't it be easier to just enter the deposit manually in the correct amount at the end of the day?  This is what I do, though I do not use any automatic linking to Quickbooks, etc.  So, for example that $1.00 of sales for the day is entered as a deposit of $.97.  My sales are what the register says, my deposits are what they actually are and the difference is the fees I'm being charged by Square.

Message 13 of 13