x
Admin

Do you take vacations? โ€Œโ€Œ๐Ÿ›ซโ€Œ โ€Œ๐Ÿš†โ€Œโ€Œ ๐Ÿš˜โ€Œ

Vacations are great for getting away from the daily grind to recharge yourself, but taking time off isn't always feasible when you run your own business. Do any of you take vacations or time off from your work? If so, how do you balance your personal needs with the business needs? Share your tips and thoughts below! 

Elisabeth (she/they)
Join a Group to connect with other business owners like you!
Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
Beta Member

I do. I own a studio salon where Iโ€™m the primary operator with another person renting a room from me. I schedule routine time off along with two week long vacations.  Since I have children & a husband, I have to make sure Iโ€™m allowing time for myself and them. 

Message 22 of 30

I go to the Fancy Food Show in NYC every year for 5-6 days prior. When your vocation is also your hobby, it's always a bonus!! I also take mini vacations throughout the year. I'm closed most weekends, so a weekend trip is not out of the question.

Message 23 of 30

I do. If you don't, you need to. Even if it's just a three day vacation somewhere a hour drive away or a week of just sitting at home. Take time for you

Message 24 of 30

I own a Pet Hotel so we are open 24/7 365 days a year. If I leave the property it is to go in my 5 fifth wheel and I go only an hour to two

hours car drive from my business so if something happens I am able to be there right away. But when I am away I am still working making reservations, talking with customers, and in constant contact with staff at all times I am glad to get away and see a different

landscape out my window but I really do not know what it is like to just shut down and not have to live the Pet Hotel 24/7. I love what I do but it would be great not to have a day where I have to worry about anything. We were very blessed to make it through COVID 

be able to be open as we were essential as we take care of Federal and State working dogs so we did not need to close down. Many

customers still need our services to take care of families and pick up children from college and close down their apartments in other

states so they were grateful we were there for them. It is easier now with getting away to Monterey or Bodge Bay as I have Starlink

and I am able to handle everything online and I am always up and running with the internet. Square has also been such a help as the staff is able to do mobile payments and I am also able to send invoices to customers to pay for their pet's stay. Before Square, I had

to be there all the time for payments, and payroll so their service has helped me a lot being a small business. We have been in business for 42 years and I would say the last 14 years have been easier since we have been working with Square. Less booking

so it does free up my time to do more of what I love and that is being with the Pets that stay with us. Not so many very last nights doing the booking.  But still working on ways to maybe get away for more than just a few days here and there. But still very grateful that I have a business that made it through COVID and will be celebrating our 43rd year in June of this year.

Message 25 of 30
Super Seller

We try to take at least one 10-14 day trip a year along with a handful of "Micro-Vacations" with our trailer where we stay somewhere locally for 3-5 days. My kids are 1.5 & 3 so long drives are a bit much lol. 

Luke Nieuwland
Owner/Operator
https://www.whiskyrun.com/
Co-Founder
https://birrdi.com/
Co-Founder
https://www.lakeeffect.ca/
Message 26 of 30

We are a husband / wife team, so usually I take the kids on vacation and their Dad stays behind and works. But this year, I covered the pools for a week so that their Dad could get away, because he hasn't had a vacation since 2017. It was hard, but I hired a helper for the week.

Message 27 of 30
Beta Member

We try to schedule at least a 4 day weekend near our anniversary (07/11) but it also coincides with the busiest time of the year for us so it's not easy.  Other than that, the occasional 3 day weekend but it's rare.  

Message 28 of 30

No..never. Literally never. I can't. I can't afford it and I would probably be behind on bills if I did... I want to so bad. Every single client that I see is either going or just got back from "vacation". I'm kind of envious and bitter because I cannot. Too much weight on my shoulders.

Message 29 of 30
Super Seller

I hear you. Our day's coming... โค๏ธ

Message 30 of 30