x
Square Community Moderator

How do you manage your menus across locations and channels? 🤔

Hello everyone! 👋

The Restaurants team is currently working on improvements to menu management that would make it easier for you to manage menus across locations and channels (Square Online, DoorDash, UberEats, etc). 

We want to hear from you about the current experience:

• What’s working and/or what’s not working in the menu management flow?
  • Any improvements you’d like to see with how you manage your menus between locations?

Drop a comment below to share your thoughts – we’d love to see where we can make enhancements!

Danny
Beta Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Admin

Tagging some members to potentially weigh in with their insights!

@MAXSDELI@BrianaJo, & @CreeksideDiveLL 

Max Pete
Community Engagement Program Manager, Square
Seller Community
Message 2 of 16
Admin

Any insight @MAXSDELI @vinesandrushes @TheRealChipA @makedonas @londontea @lenjobakes? 💘

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 3 of 16
Super Seller

for 3rd party apps. 
most of the current issues are from the 3rd party side. 
Things work very well with Doordash. 
UberEats finally works, but has multiple issues from their side (in letting us control how many orders go through, timing of pickups, no alternate pricing without having to duplicate items etc)

One big thing.
Having the capability to turn off or have busy mode capability from Squares side would be amazing in managing 3rd party (like how Square already has),

Having to manage multiple apps while we are busy is killer. 

Square Online feature request addition to the Order Timing (which os located in the app),

please add the Edit capability of changing/editing the “Limit the number of orders at the same time”. 
currently this is under Account Settings, Fullfillment, Pickup/Delivery, Edit Location etc. Takes too long to get too! 
We need to have easier access to this to control work flow while we are busy (or not busy) at the restaurant. 
PLUS if it was possible for this to control incoming 3rd party orders too, I would be heaven (but I dont see this happening lol). 

Another feature that I came to me a couple of weeks ago while talking about AI that would help of tremendous help is if Dine in, To go, Phone orders, 3rd party, Square Online orders would ALL be considered in the “weight” of Order Timing! 
This way, Square Online orders would automatically be pushed accordingly to our settings and how busy we are! 💙💙💙💙💙

Feta Whisperer [ insta: 86feta ] [ fb: greekbelly ]
Message 4 of 16

Thanks so much for this peek behind the curtain @makedonas. We'd love to continue this convo if you're able -- I sent a DM your way! 

Danny
Beta Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Message 5 of 16
Super Seller

You got it!

Feta Whisperer [ insta: 86feta ] [ fb: greekbelly ]
Message 6 of 16
Super Seller

I quit using third-party delivery apps a long time ago.  The economics just did not work for me, and I grew tired of selling food that added nothing to my bottom line.  Then, after the pandemic lockdowns I exited the food business.  That’s a young person’s game, and I am nowhere close to being a young person, anymore! Ha.  So I can no longer speak to third-party menu management except to say that when I was juggling that it was a total pain.  I hope it’s better for those who do, now.

I’m just starting to work with multi-location menus so I’ll come back here and add posts as I find things to mention.  But I will mention this.  When I’m using the “Edit POS Layout” feature of menu management, the drag and drop for menu tiles is pretty quirky on iPads using Safari.  I can add some videos of the quirkiness if they are wanted, but in a nutshell sometimes tiles move, sometimes they don’t, sometimes they go where I drop them, sometimes they don’t, sometimes moving a tile causes all of my unsaved changes to be lost because it decides to refresh the screen after a tile is moved, etc.  It takes me twice as long to rearrange tiles than it should, really.

Also, while the duplicate menu feature (for starting another location) is nice, it would be much better if we had shared menus as an option.  Both have their places, and both are needed to give sellers the flexibility they need for their particular multi-location business model.

That’s it for now.  Be afraid.  More will no doubt be coming as I dive into the deep end of a multi-location business model (man, do I need to find a great therapist! Ha)

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!
Message 7 of 16

As always, we really appreciate the feedback @TheRealChipA . I sent a DM your way, we'd love to continue this convo and show you what we're working on! 

Danny
Beta Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Message 8 of 16
Beta Member

We currently only have 1 location, so I cant speak to multiple location menu management, but we do integrate with Doordash so I can speak to the channel one. There are a lot of hiccups/pain points on the Square integration that I honestly didn't realize until we had Toast (unsuccessfully) try to pitch us last fall:

- Square does not automatically send the item pictures to the Doordash menu, but other systems like Toast does. This results in a lot of extra work every time you modify your menu items. Sometimes Doordash doesn't even accept the menu pictures you upload and they just stay blank, it's a general frustration point.

- Square allows you to 86 modifiers, but that doesn't transmit to Doordash. The only workaround I've found it to manually delete the modifier on the Square side. As an example, we have a single item called "Soda/Pop" and then a modifier to pick whether you want Coke, Pepsi, etc. Sometimes we run out of one, and the lack of modifier 86'ing talking to Doordash means that we could theoretically sell an item that's already 86'd.

- 86'ing has been broken for over a year at the POS level, without giving full item permissions (i.e. the ability to change prices, item names, etc.). That's not something we're comfortable with. We found a workaround to 86 items on the KDS but you can't 86 modifiers that way, so I have to pull up the dashboard and try to do it on my phone which is crazy. I had a call a few weeks ago that said that 86'ing should be fixed soon, though, so I'm not sure if that actually got pushed.

- The ways to time-limit items/categories are rough, I wish we could date/time limit menu categories or specific items on the POS only. For instance, we run lunch specials from 11-2 on weekdays but I can't keep team members from ringing those up outside of those dates. That is most impactful really with our beer sales, since we can't serve on Sundays per our liquor license, but I can't restrict beer sales to Monday-Saturday. I can do it online because you can date/time restrict categories, but not on the POS as far as I've been able to figure out. Other POS systems allow you to set menus based on dates/times. For the channel integration, we had to completely remove items we sell at certain times (i.e. Tuesday BOGO pizzas) because there was no way to restrict them to only being sold on Tuesdays on Doordash with the integration, unless I went and made special menus there which defeated the point of the integration. Same thing with discounts, we use automatic discounts online and somehow there's no way to prevent people from ordering in advance and using our Tuesday BOGO coupon for orders to be picked up/delivered on Thursday or other busier days.

- Categories between the Square dashboard menu/item management and Square Online don't sync. Every time I make a new item, I make it in the "Items" area and then I assign it a category, but I then have to go into Square Online and assign it to another category which is ONLY on Square Online, or else it's at the bottom of my site as uncategorized. The Doordash integration uses the Dashboard categories, which is super confusing. These need to be synched up honestly.

- You can't duplicate a modifier group from anywhere the Dashboard, but you CAN do it online. This was a pain point when we first set up our menu, since the toppings are the same and I just needed to update the prices and not retype everything from scratch 100's of times. Duplicating a modifier set is really needed functionality.

- The ACSII ordering for menu structuring needs to be replaced by a version you can manually set the order for. For instance, I have to add weird characters to my modifier titles to sort them on the POS and on printed receipts, so they print in the order the kitchen needs. This flows through to Doordash and is just really clunky compared to other POS providers. As an example, on pizzas I have to add "(" and "{" to modifier names, which would really throw off someone who didn't understand ACSII was the basis for how those are sorted):

CreeksideDiveLL_2-1713719782374.png

These are more general menu-management or integration issues I've encountered, in case your team can address any of them:

- I don't love that when you duplicate an item that it resets the online site visibility selection. For instance, if I have an item set to not display online like a Beer product, and I duplicate it to add another Beer, it'll default to being visible online because that's what my default setting is for a new item. But that defeats the point of duplicating an item.

- I'll 2nd the order flow issues identified above. The main issue for us is that there is no way to assign a time to a check/non-online order, which for us is pizza call-in orders. Not being able to assign a time means that it doesn't get reflected in the Square order flow and it doesn't work well with the KDS or order-timing limitations.

- The Doordash integration is really bad for delivery charge accounting. For instance, if a customer places a Square Online delivery order through our Doordash Drive integration, we pay a delivery fee. If they later call in and cancel that order and we refund it, we are still charged the delivery fee. I've searched for a long time for that money coming back (it's supposed to show up periodically on our transfers), and it's just never there. Other POS providers have Doordash send you a monthly bill where you get better visibility, instead of hoping the numbers are right. We've had to stop refunding Square Online orders altogether.

- If an order is cancelled on the normal Doordash integration, that never flows through to Square to generate a void ticket. We just end up having to look on the Doordash tablet order history and trying to dig into it, after someone doesn't come to pick it up in a reasonable time. This causes headaches around closing time most often.

- This may not be specific to the question you're asking, but Square modifier layout is rough to look out for long lists. For instance, we have 15+ toppings and modifier sets for Whole Pizza Toppings, 1st Half Pizza Toppings, and 2nd Half Pizza Toppings. In Square Online and the Doordash integration, these default to full lists that you have to scroll all the way through. A lot of other POS systems have these nested in a way, and you click into the modifier header and then only those modifiers are shown. See examples from our Doordash listing and a different listing from another pizza place:

CreeksideDiveLL_0-1713718166971.png 

CreeksideDiveLL_1-1713718207028.png

Message 9 of 16

I only have one location - a storefront that we only use one menu. We were using the regular Square POS and recently I switched us to Square Restaurants and for the past few weeks I've been trying to set up Square Online. We’re still not published/live yet.

First thing I did was go through and recreate all of our items since they were all "physical" items and I couldn’t just update them to a "food & beverage" or whatever it was called. -I tried to look it up just now and now I can't find it. Which is a whole other problem I’ve been experiencing with options, screens, settings, all sorts of things everywhere in Square just disappearing. For example, Tiers disappeared for months and now it’s back again all of a sudden.

Anyway, various things I have problems with, it feels like the programming is unstable because adding item after item or clicking around too much starts to cause yellow and red errors. I would have to stop, save, exit, and come back fresh constantly, making every task hours and hours longer than it should have. Even saving the screen to exit will stop working and the work will be lost even though it claims to have been saved. Specifically the ‘add to menus’ won’t display a mark when clicked, but it’s there just invisible. The modifiers seem especially unstable, I couldn’t click more than two or three times in customization without it freaking out and red erroring. I definitely couldn’t click anything and then scroll down. I would have to leave and come back, scroll down, and then keep clicking around. And who knows if anything I did actually saved. I’ll have to very cautiously click back into every single item to find out but I’ll have to give it lots of time between each item just to make sure everything settles down or resets, so I don’t scare it too much at once.

Ok, I was about to start telling my experience with menus on Square Online, but I could CRY right now. I’ve been setting up my Square Online pages for WEEKS trying to get it ready and now it’s GONE! It’s acting like it’s all been reset. Clicking Square Online takes me to the landing page to “Get Started” “Bring the Power of Square to your Online Ordering. Start your Site”. I was almost done, just had some final touches to do and get pictures for my items. Where did it go???

Message 10 of 16

Hi @BrianaJo I'm sorry to hear you are having so trouble with your website!!

Let's first see if we can figure out where it went. It almost sounds like you could be logged into the wrong account, but I can confirm. Can you please provide the fl URL of your website? 

Message 11 of 16

I replied, but I'm not seeing my reply posted, so here's my try two to reply.

I don't have a URL since my Square Online isn't "published" or live yet. Also I haven't connected my domain name to it yet, that's part of my to-do. I log into my dashboard and clicked "Online" to get to it. It can't be the wrong account since I only have the one account, one log-in.

I checked it just now and first it loaded the landing page as if I hadn't made a site at all and then it refreshed itself and it's back again, but it's still sluggy and weird. At least it's there tho and I won't have to start from the beginning. I feel like this all just supports my theory that the programming is unstable. 

Message 12 of 16

I'm glad you were able to load the site again!! I'm sure that was a relief. 

Can you let us know what device you use to edit your website, and can you also please click on this link and screenshot or copy/paste your browser version? 

Have you ever tried using a private or incognito browser window? 

Message 13 of 16

It was a huge relief, thanks! I hadn't ever tried incognito, so I tried it this morning and it doesn't make a difference.

I use my Razer Blade 15 laptop with Chrome browser Version 124.0.6367.79 (Official Build) (64-bit)124.0.6367.79 (Official Build) (64-bit)124.0.6367.79 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Message 14 of 16
Super Seller

Hi Danny,

I have restaurants in my profile as I required it to integrate with DoorDash & Uber (Postmates) but I am a Pet food & supplies store. 

Firstly, whatever that requirement was that DoorDash specifically required (Uber might have needed it also but i integrated with them after) please ensure that functionality is added to Square for Retail. As I do not want to subscribe to restaurants as a retail user.

Secondly, managing my "menu" on other platforms is complicated because many integrations want copies of the picture urls, something that you cannot export from square in any manner, and tie it to item ids. For my own business I had to pay someone to scrape my website for URLS & Images so I could upload my "menu" to Google Merchant Center.

I would like to upload my assortment to 3rd party retail stores like Walmart Market place, Amazon and Etsy, having the ability to export URL's and Images with our catalog export or another manner is a MUCH needed feature.

Thank you!

Message 15 of 16

Hey there! 😊 Managing menus across different platforms can definitely be a bit of a juggle. One thing that’s worked for us is using a centralized menu management system that automatically syncs changes across all platforms. It’s a lifesaver! Something that could be improved, though, is the integration process—making it smoother and more intuitive right from the start would help a lot. Also, having the ability to customize menus for location-specific promotions directly from the main dashboard would be awesome.

Message 16 of 16