x
Square

Square for Restaurants & KDS: What features or improvements would you like to see in 2022?

Hello Seller Community 👋🏼 My name is Rajat and I work on the Square for Restaurants team here at Square.

As we look into next year, we’re hoping to hear from you all on what you would like to see in development for our Square for Restaurants product, which include the Restaurants Point of Sale app and Square KDS!  

01.png                                               02.png

These can be suggestions that have already been mentioned on the Square for Restaurants feature request board, but that you’ve identified as your top feature request that you’d like to see developed in 2022! Think of it as a Square for Restaurants and/or a KDS ‘wish list’. 

Please reply below with some feature suggestions or product improvements that you’d like to see. Your comments will be recorded and reviewed by our Square for Restaurants Product Team. 

ph201127A_Q1Awareness_RST_KhaoManGai_124_KB_01_SIMP 1 (1).png

kds-lighthouse_bk-3qtr_2.jpg

Gladys_Bar&Lounge_Product_01_VR_02_SIMP_US 2 (1).png

Message 1 of 157
2 Best Answers

Best Answer

A more robust way to manage inventory, on the fly.  We "retire" inventory and produce new inventory all day, every day.  Being able to click on a tracked item in the POS and adjust inventory on the fly would be HUGE!  Having to stop using the register as a register, log into the dashboard, and adjust inventory is clunky, inefficient, and not possible in the middle of a rush.

Bruce

View Best Answer >

Message 108 of 157
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

Thank you KDS & SFR Teams!

we love the Square ecosystem. 

ONE BIG REQUEST…….day by day inventory. That’s it. One big ask. 

We're IZOLA bakery. We bake all day and serve everything hot from the oven to our customers.  We receive about 55% of our orders via online ordering (both in advance + same day), and 45% are traditional "walk ins" 

Here is an example of how we (and I think many other users) might use "day by day" inventory. Let's pretend to plan an OLIVE SOURDOUGH special for next week. We take orders simultaneously from

1. online 
    1. same day
    2. future fulfillment
  2. POS (walk in) for immediate fulfilment from the counter. 

So what we want to be able to do is enter how many total loaves we have available for sale each day. And for example when the 20 loaves of olive bread are sold for Monday. (by a combination online and via POS) Customers can still order for Tuesday or any future date which has inventory set. (and it would be nice for customers to be able to sign up for email/text notifications when an item comes back in stock)

So for example we'd set the daily inventory as follows: 

Mon - closed

Tuesday - 20 loaves

Weds - 16 loaves

Thursday 25 loaves

Friday 50 loaves. 

Saturday 80 loaves

Sunday 90 loaves

I think it would be helpful across a wide range of businesses (flower shops, restaurants, breweries, coffee bars, anyone who want to have set number of a certain item available each day) that want to allow online ordering.   And from a wider perspective, I believe "DAY BY DAY INVENTORY" will help our small businesses better serve customers who have quickly become accustomed to easy online ordering via amazon, chipotle, etc. 

Thoughts? 

Jeffrey L Brown
jb@izolabakery.com
619-227-2701

View Best Answer >

Message 120 of 157
156 REPLIES 156

We would like to use a option to open tabs.

Message 2 of 157
Super Seller Alumni

By open tabs, do you mean pre-auth on credit cards? If so, I second this x100. 

Craft Beer Pub & Pizza Spot
Village of Manlius, NY

http://awwander.com
IG: @awwander
FB: @awwandermanlius
Message 3 of 157

Yes, I think that's what I mean (sorry I'm German).

Message 4 of 157
Beta Member

Yes to CC pre-authorizations.  We are actively looking at moving away from Square because this is missing.  

Message 5 of 157
Beta Member

I'm surprised there aren't more of these comments yet. 

I haven't been burned on a $700 bottle of wine yet, but I'm going to jump on a pile of lumber to make sure I don't. (knocks on wood).

Being able to temporarily hold the card for an auth, and charge when they leave is absolutely needed in the bars/lounges that you market heavily, which there may not be a server to keep track of where people are. 

Thanks!

Message 6 of 157

We do a "Save" and hold the card.  Run the card when they check out.  But this is all at the ordering station at the bar (Brewery with no food) 

Message 7 of 157

We are as well. This is a VERY basic function for any bar / restaurant / club where tabs can be opened & stay open over the course of a night.

Carl from 926 in Tally
Message 8 of 157
Beta Member

I would like square for restaurant to be compatible with SRM from Quebec as we are obligated to used them.

Message 9 of 157
Super Seller Alumni

1. Drag and drop across the screen tickets to custom sift. 
  2. "Hold" a ticket for various reasons
  3. "Re-fire" a ticket or item on a ticket [color coded?]
  4. Reprint a ticket from the KDS
  5. When an regular KDS station completes an item on a ticket it would be nice to have a different color reflecting the completion on the expeditor. To alert the expeditor.
  6. Have pre-orders hidden function, off course at this time you only have "open tickets". Maybe have a pre-order function for call ahead customers?
.E
Message 10 of 157
Super Seller

We don’t use the restaurant system. 

Message 11 of 157

How to keep track of a tab for a private function

Message 12 of 157
Beta Member

Coursing and firing on KDS! 

Message 13 of 157
Beta Member

We would like the ability to place Delivery Order on the Square Restaurant Register. Right now, we need to use a phone/computer to input all those addresses and card info for a customer who calls over the phone who simply wants a delivery order but doesn't use DoorDash on their own.

Message 14 of 157

We desperately need a way to upcharge customers who place orders on our site that make special requests! I.e. extra cheese, extra sauce, add bacon etc so much revenue is lost due to the fact we can not adjust order totals to accommodate customers add ons. Please make way to upcharge so we can get paid for these requests.

Message 15 of 157

You should use the „modifier“

Message 16 of 157
Beta Member

that is easily done by adding a price to modifiers

Message 17 of 157

Store credit cards so we can return them to the customer and close their tab later with the stored credit card info. That would enable us to keep tabs open without holding onto the card which is inefficent and sometimes leads to lost cards (and angry customers). We could do this with our previous POS and the inability to do it now is really the only thing we dislike about Square.

Message 18 of 157

Hello!  We would LOVE if the Square app had the ability to pre-authorize credit cards that are being used to open a tab.  We are a bar / restaurant / club and on busy nights, we may be serving over 300 people and have over 100 open food / bar tabs (tickets) at any given point in time.  We swipe & keep the credit cards when we open a tab but we have seen a dramatic rise in people who use bad credit cards (or NSF debit cards) when they open the tab. Some of these people leave before closing & we don't know about the bad card until we try to close the open tab after closing. Having a pre-auth function when we open the tab would prevent the majority of these.

Thanks!! 

Carl from 926 in Tally
Message 19 of 157
Super Seller

We are a QSR and would love the ability to change the prep time for online orders from the register app instead of having to log into the dashboard. This would be my biggest request. 

We would like a display screen to show customers which orders are ready and which ones we are preparing controlled through the KDS.

We would like an Android app for customers to see what they ordering as they order for our registers. 

We would like KDS to show a batch amount of items that need to be fired so that we can quickly see how many items in total we need to fire in the next few tickets. As we run a pure FIFO restaurant we batch cook tickets to get things done more efficiently.

Digital menu boards would also be a cool option that links straight to our POS.

A self serve kiosk for customers to come in and order and pay by themselves.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Message 20 of 157

Hi!

Check out www.kios.cloud. Their kiosks are incredibly integrated into Square and look fantastic!

Best,

Gabe

Message 21 of 157