x
Beta Member

What is the difference between item options and item modifiers?

What is the difference between item options and item modifiers?

Message 1 of 30
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Great question @Rp3!

You can use item variations/options and modifiers to strategically display your items on your website, making them easy to shop for based on what your buyers need. Below I'll explain what the two are typically used for, and how they differ. 

Item Variations/Options:

Selling shirts in four different sizes? A gift basket with โ€œstandardโ€ and โ€œdeluxeโ€ versions? Item options allow you to add variants to a single item, and are directly tied to your item stock.

To add variations/options to an item, go to your dashboard > Items > Item Library > select an Item > scroll down until you see Variations/Options.

Item Modifiers:

Item modifiers allow you to sell items that are customizable, or offer additional choices, and are not directly tied to your item stock. There are two types of item modifiers: a text input box for custom requests, and a list of options for pre-determined requests. You can use modifiers with item variations/options to create products with a wide range of options.

For example, say youโ€™re selling an engravable bracelet that comes in multiple sizes. Your item variations/options would be the sizes (e.g. small, medium, large, etc.), and your modifier would be the custom text to engrave (e.g. the customerโ€™s name/initials).

To add modifiers to an item, go to your dashboard > Items > Item Library > select an Item > scroll down until you see Modifiers.

I hope this helps clear things up. Let me know if not. 

๏œ๏ธ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
Square Community Moderator

Great question, @TrinityTreasure

I think the biggest thing to keep in mind is that you cannot track inventory with modifiers. You can certainly setup an item using modifiers with the added price, and the ability to choose a drink option, however, the modifier options will not subtract from your total inventory. 

You can find more information about setting up item modifiers here

Hope this helps clarify, but please let us know if you still have questions. 

Message 22 of 30

I am using Square for Retail and there is no Text Box option. When I input the new t-shirt, for instance, under modifiers it is only the ones that were previously set up. it doesn't have the Create new option ... I really need a text box added and I am unsure it exists. 

Sorry it wont let me upload images ... 

Message 23 of 30

Hi @JRonan,

When you create a new item with Square for Retail, you'll see "Add Options" instead of Modifiers. To create a new modifier in Square for Retail, tap on Items > Modifiers > Create Modifier Set. You'd then be able to apply modifiers created here on the item level. 

I hope this helps, let us know if you have any other questions around options and modifiers ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 24 of 30

Screen Shot 2021-08-30 at 12.02.59 PM.png

โ€ƒโ€ƒโ€ƒโ€ƒ

Screen Shot 2021-08-30 at 12.03.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-30 at 12.03.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-30 at 12.03.42 PM.png

@Arie Thank you for replying, however, it doesn't give that option on the item level. not even when creating a new item. It only allows me to pick from the ones already created....

Message 25 of 30

Thanks for sending through these screenshots, @JRonan

I assumed you were using the Square for Retail app, and things are layed out a bit different on the Dashboard, and I also realise I should have explained this in a bit more detail! 

Modifier sets can online be created under Items > Modifiers (the last screenshot you included). The best answer in this thread explains the difference between modifiers and options/ variations. 

There's no text box to add a modifier once you've selected your item. Using variations is going to allow you to add text on the go, while you'd have to create a modifier set outside of the item. How you use variations and modifiers really depends on your business, and what you find easiest! To give you an example of how a coffee shop might use options and variations:

The item "Coffee" could have variations such as Cappuccino, Latte, Espresso, etc. A modifier set for this item could include modifiers such as skim milk, soy milk, etc. 

Let me know if you have any other questions ๐Ÿ™‚ 

Message 26 of 30

Hi @Arie 

My goal would be to remove the modifier for colors (because the list is just too long) and instead add a text box where they then type in the the colors options they want (we want them to pick 3 choices ). But when I set up the modifiers it does not give the option to create text box in either the modifier setup level or when trying to set modifiers in an item new or old. 

I only switched to Square for retail because I read a thread that stated the text box can only be added to that version. We dont have a brick and mortar so I am willing to switch out of the Retail option as well. 

Message 27 of 30

I am having great difficulty in setting up my menu items for my food truck business. Could some suggest how to set up the following items so inventory is tracked correctly?

• Bratwurst Sandwich
    • Modifiers (toppings)
      • sauerkraut
      • onions & peppers
  • Bratwurst Platter
    • Includes one side. I currently have these sides as items and modifiers.  that is listed in a different category and need to track inventory
      • Slaw
      • potatoes
      • apples
    •  Modifiers (toppings)
      • sauerkraut
      • onions & peppers
  • Bratwurst Dinner
    • Includes two sides that are listed in a different category and need to track inventory
      • Slaw
      • potatoes
      • apples
    •  Modifiers (toppings)
      • sauerkraut
      • onions & peppers

All of these items come from the same inventory of bratwurst. The sides are available with these items and also available separately. Total sales/inventory needs to be calculated whether is was sold with a dinner, platter or individually. The sides are currently set up as items and modifiers so that they can be selected as an option on dinners/platters and sold by themselves.  I have tried setting this up several ways but can not get the desired reports for sales or inventory. At this point the dinners, platters and sandwiches are separate items and the toppings and sides are modifiers. This gives me the correct output to the KDS so I know what to put on each plate but does not give correct reporting or inventory. If I list all of the items separately it helps some with reporting but if more than one person is on a ticket there is no way to what items go together on a plate. If square is setup for use by restaurants there should definitely be a way to do this.

Much help is needed and greatly appreciated.

Message 28 of 30

you can use modifiers to if you have different type for one item like same item different color

Message 29 of 30
Beta Member

I don't believe you can inventory a Modifier. Unless someone knows how?

Message 30 of 30