x
Admin

Who's selling restaurant merch?

Hey everyone!

I was reading this article on The Bottom Line and was inspired by the idea of selling branded merchandise to increase both awareness and revenue for your restaurant.

I'd love to hear from you if you're currently selling branded merch and what your experience has been so far with it!

Tagging @SSB_YVR@dimo10@ryanwanner, and @MacsIce to get your take on this!

Max Pete
Community Engagement Program Manager, Square
Seller Community
Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33
Beta Member

We have definitely thought about it!!! and its something that I would love to do, but its just not up there on my priority list at the moment.
We have started to do a monthly collectable sticker each month that we put into our takeaway bags. Just a little something so that we standout from the crowd. 

Message 2 of 34
Admin

Oh a monthly collectable sticker is such a cool idea! Any prizes if you collect them all?

Max Pete
Seller Community
Message 3 of 34
Beta Member

Not really, we did think of that, but I dont remember why didnt.

So since this post was made we have been designing some merch.

Our customers have been asking for a long time and this post kinda pushed us into doing it.
I mean, why would we not? Printful makes it way to easy to do so and we dont have to hold any actual stock!

Message 4 of 34
Admin

Love this!! Please share your merch when you have it ๐Ÿ™‚ 

Max Pete
Seller Community
Message 5 of 34
Square Champion

In the coffee world, travel mugs are always a great option for merch. I did one run of 150 mugs that sold out in less than three weeks!

I've thought about carrying wearables, but I've always balked because of the amount of inventory I'd have to have on hand. Now that print on demand services are more widely available (including a Printful integration through the online store!), I'm considering adding to the product line.

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Square Champion: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 6 of 34
Admin

Awesome that your mugs sold out so quickly! If you do decide to release some more merch, would love to see!

Max Pete
Seller Community
Message 7 of 34
Admin

I am all about finding a great coffee mug -- they just make sense, as long as you remember to bring it with you...ahem. 

๏œ๏ธ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 8 of 34
Square Champion

Always been a little tenative about merch., but it may be worth a look at particularly the print on demand. I do see coffee sticker collections in the UK here also, I think this is a nice idea!

Coco Chemistry Ltd
Artisan Chocolatier
www.cocochemistry.co.uk
Message 9 of 34
Admin

If you do end up making merch, would love to see the designs!

Max Pete
Seller Community
Message 10 of 34
Square Champion

We use the integration with Printful, print on demand service for our Merch.

Originally I wanted a hoodie to wear to work but didn't want to do a massive run and have stock in the shop, so i found a print on demand for my own jumper. then i thought i might as well sell them as Merch, no cost to me and i can change the design whenever i wanted.

Printful is a bit expensive in Australia but I just have it there just in case someone wants one. I also set it to the default page when we go on holidays, they can always buy the merch.

People always comment on my jumper when we are out and about. So its good advertisement for our business.

I provide our staff with a 50% discount code so they can buy them and wear.

As for profit, I sell them at break even... but this is still quite expensive for most.

Message 11 of 34
Admin

I have been seeing more and more businesses use Printful for this! Awesome that you give your staff a discount for them to wear the merch too. 

Max Pete
Seller Community
Message 12 of 34
Square Champion

Ooooh, I've never heard of this @dimo10 ! Definitely going to check it out! The up front cost of doing 144 pieces (the general minimum in our area) can be prohibitive. This is a cool idea!

Michelle Savage
Co-Founder & President
Savage Goods | @savagegoods | savagegoods.com
Message 13 of 34
Admin

@roryAK shouting you out here!!!! For those of you who didn't know, Girdwood Brewing was a Square 50 voters choice winner for exactly this category: MERCH!!! 

๏œ๏ธ Hailey
Seller Community Marketing Manager
Square Seller Community
Message 14 of 34
Admin

LOVE this!!

Max Pete
Seller Community
Message 15 of 34

I'm working on some designs for 20oz to-go mug merch with Miir. Right now my coffee shop sells 12oz & 16oz drinks in compostable cups. But I want to introduce the merch mugs as a sustainable option. Like, you buy the 20oz Miir mug merch and then you can bring back your mug to get refills at a 15% discount. 

Briana Schrodt
Owner of Random's Coffee
specialty coffee roastery & cafe

https://www.RandomsCoffee.com
Facebook & Instagram @RandomsCoffee
Message 16 of 34
Square Champion

@BrianaJo that's an awesome idea to build loyalty with your customers.

Message 17 of 34
Admin

we're on the same wave length haha!

Max Pete
Seller Community
Message 18 of 34
Admin

Love that! A great to create loyalty and drive merch sales too!

Max Pete
Seller Community
Message 19 of 34
Beta Member

This is so smart! I just suggested this to the bar that we are located inside of!

Message 20 of 34
Square Champion

We actually do quite a bit of merch -- tumblers, glasses, postcards, shirts, tote bags, mugs, stickers...

People really love them, and it's so fun to see them posting their morning coffee in our mugs from all over the country, or posting selfies in our shirts. Yesterday I was actually driving and the car at the stoplight next to me was drinking from one of our tumblers! I'll post a few pictures! 

328F03EE-539E-4E14-B6CE-5EFC905BD82C.JPG

A40250B8-C3FB-4879-8780-85767D29D5DC.JPG

IMG_2970.jpg

B8883E36-9B98-4629-826B-2E15DA860443.jpg

IMG_0544 (1).jpg

IMG_0637.jpg

โ€ƒโ€ƒโ€ƒ

Michelle Savage
Co-Founder & President
Savage Goods | @savagegoods | savagegoods.com
Message 21 of 34