x
Super Seller

A little Square for Retail feedback

I'm running into the same issue as always with variable priced items. I really hope that one day there will be support for items that are sold by weight, it would save me a lot of time with some of the backend inventory workload. I certainly appreciate being able to have them variable priced, but I still have to run my data through some extra spreadsheets to convert the totals for those items into a unit of measure. Costs of goods reporting is worth the $60 a month if you ask me, but not if it doesn't work for half of our inventory. I would have liked it a little more if it felt a little more like the old register that were used to... I'm sure that I'd get used to it over time... I'll keep my fingers crossed for the ability to set an item's unit in pounds sometime in the future... OH! And if you're passing anything up to the developer-gods out there, please put a good word in for an integrated weight scale 😍. I'd pay a lot for that.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for posting and for the great feedback. 

Both fractional/decimal quantities and an integrated scale are definitely two of the more popular feature requests that we've received. Hopefully our Product Team can get something out that works with Square Retail and the Advanced Inventory. 

While we don’t currently provide a way to enter quantity in fractions or decimals, you can create items with an assigned price increment to charge by. During a sale, you can add multiple items until the total quantity equals the amount you’d like to charge for.

I'll be passing this over to our Retail team, as they're looking for as much feedback as they can gather and keep an eye out for updates!

Message 2 of 3
Super Seller

I've tried that workaround in the past... Setting the price in $.01 incriments. So if someone wanted $150 worth of bananas, I would have to input that I sold 15,000 individual bananas at $.01/ea. It was silly, and took too long to download reports that way. I much prefer the variable price option.

Message 3 of 3