x
Square Community Moderator

Decimal Quantities Beta is Live for Android Devices!

We are excited to announce that we have launched early access to decimal quantities on Android devices!

Decimal quantities enables you to sell exact quantities in the unit(s) of measure you use to conduct your business—ounces, pounds, yards, gallons, etc. By previewing decimal quantities on your Square Point of Sale, you will be able to:

• Create items to sell in decimal quantities
  • Check out customers purchasing items in decimal quantities
  • View decimal quantity items in your cart summary
  • Review sales by item quantities
  • Refund items with decimal quantities
  • Issue and display digital and printed receipts with decimal quantities
  • Review your inventory and transactions with decimal quantities in Dashboard

Please reply to this thread if you’re interested in joining this beta!

Thanks!

Note: Square Terminal and Square Register are not yet supported for this beta but we'll share any updates in this thread! 

Message 1 of 72
1 Best Answer

Best Answer

Thank you to everyone who helped us test this feature out for Android devices! We're excited to announce that decimal quantities feature is no longer in beta and is now 100% live in the newest Square Point of Sale update (version 5.18). Please visit the Google Play Store to update! 

View Best Answer >

Message 56 of 72
71 REPLIES 71

Hi @garymroot

Since you are already on this beta, the feature should be available automatically on your Square Registers as long as they are up to date. Looking at your account, I do see that one of your devices is on 3.10 and the feature should be working properly there. Please try logging out then back in and seeing if that resolves things on that device. 

For your other Square Register, I see that the software is a little outdated. Can you please retry an update on that device? You can also leave the device plugged in overnight as our updates should come in automatically that way. 

Please let me know if this resolves things. 

Message 64 of 72
Super Seller Alumni

Something else from a different thread is that you need to have two things enabled for the Decimal Quantities to work on the Register:

1. You have to have Inventory Control enabled, and
  2. You need to make sure your inventory items are specified for what units to use ($/lb, for example).  If you don't do this step, then Square still thinks that you're selling units.
Judy T Shumway
Message 65 of 72

Yes. Thank you to both of you for being so prompt and helpful! @SQPhil :  We'll be updating the other Register (and ordering 4 more) in the coming days. Also, we noticed a bug in the Decimal Quantities implementation. If you extend "$/lb" to three decimal places (which is what our packages have printed on them,) automatic Imports to Quickbooks start to throw exceptions. The $ amounts between Square and Quickbooks don't match perfectly.

We did have Units enabled throughout our Beta Tests on the iPads, but we weren't tracking Inventory on that platform. Inventory Tracking (currently) must be turned on in order for Decimal Quantities to work with Register, as @GlassJudy originally pointed out. My next step will be to simply export all of our Products from Square via the Dashboard on a MacBook Pro and update the CSV or Excel file for all of the items that we're using Decimal Quantities on. I'll input a large (and fake) Inventory Quantity (so that it will both work in Register tomorrow and keep working for some time to come) and will also turn on Inventory Tracking for those Items (via the CSV or Excel file.) Then, I'll Import the new file. (Please note that I'm not looking at the Exported CSV file right now, so my nomenclature is likely to be a little off.)

Message 66 of 72

What happened to the decimals? Been working great for weeks and now all of the sudden I don't have decimals anymore, just commas. Please fix! Thanks

Message 67 of 72

Hi @timmbuck2 , 

Thanks for reaching out. I'm not sure if the issue resolved itself over the weekend, but I just tested out your account and I was able to see the decimal quantities. I did not see any commas. If you are still experiencing this error, please try deleting the application then reinstalling. If the issue still persists after that, please reply back and I can take a closer look. 

Message 68 of 72

It is working fine on the app on my phone but on the square terminal the Decimal button is still missing. 

Message 69 of 72

Hi @timmbuck2 , thank you for the clarification on the device you are using. I tested your account on the Square Terminal and everything worked as expected on my end. This feature is out of beta and now in general release. If you give us a call, our customer support team will be able to assist you with this over the phone. 

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/contact?panel=44E50F016449

Message 70 of 72

Not sure how you can help over the phone. Very simple, when in the square terminal and I add an item setup for pounds, there is a comma but no Decimal. On the square app on my phone, there is a Decimal. This needs to be fixed asap! I have screenshots and pics to prove it.... 

Message 71 of 72

@SQPhil Tagging for the post above! Do you have any insight into why this could be happening? 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 72 of 72