x
Square Community Moderator

Decimal Quantities Beta is Live for Android Devices!

We are excited to announce that we have launched early access to decimal quantities on Android devices!

Decimal quantities enables you to sell exact quantities in the unit(s) of measure you use to conduct your business—ounces, pounds, yards, gallons, etc. By previewing decimal quantities on your Square Point of Sale, you will be able to:

• Create items to sell in decimal quantities
  • Check out customers purchasing items in decimal quantities
  • View decimal quantity items in your cart summary
  • Review sales by item quantities
  • Refund items with decimal quantities
  • Issue and display digital and printed receipts with decimal quantities
  • Review your inventory and transactions with decimal quantities in Dashboard

Please reply to this thread if you’re interested in joining this beta!

Thanks!

Note: Square Terminal and Square Register are not yet supported for this beta but we'll share any updates in this thread! 

Message 1 of 72
1 Best Answer

Best Answer

Thank you to everyone who helped us test this feature out for Android devices! We're excited to announce that decimal quantities feature is no longer in beta and is now 100% live in the newest Square Point of Sale update (version 5.18). Please visit the Google Play Store to update! 

View Best Answer >

Message 56 of 72
71 REPLIES 71

Hi @GlassJudy , I just checked your account and can confirm that the feature is turned on and that your Square Register is updated to the newest version! Please log out then back in and you should be able to test decimal quantities on your Square Register. 

Message 43 of 72
Super Seller Alumni

Hi, @SQPhil, I just tried to implement decimal quantities on my Register and got a message that decimal quantities are not supported on the Register yet.  You've checked that my Register has the latest update, and I've signed out and back in at least 3 times, but still no luck.

Some more info: my Register shows it's on version 3.9.0037, and here's a shot of the message I get:

Unsupported message.jpg

Edit: I just created a test item with DQ, and although I still got the message above when I saved it, it still worked on the Register.  Now I just need the message to not show up, and I think I'm good to go.

Thanks!!!!

Judy T Shumway
Message 44 of 72

Hi @GlassJudy , I tested your account and I'm also seeing this message. I'm wondering if it's due to the fact that this feature is still in beta for the Square Register? I have informed our team of this message though. Thanks for letting me know! 

Message 45 of 72
Super Seller Alumni

Awesome, @SQPhil, thanks so much!.  It's not a killer, but with over 5,000 items that need to be edited, it's certainly a hassle to have to perform that extra key click every single time.

Update: for some reason that issue is now solved - I don't get the message anymore.

This may be record time, but I already have my first request: When the item is scanned and the screen comes up where the quantity is entered, is it possible to have a default (maybe set by the user, since some sellers may not want this) set to 1?  We still do sell a lot of our product at one unit and it would speed up things by having that value pre-entered.

My testing so far has got me very excited!  This is going to be a major benefit when checking out our customers.  Thank you so much again!!!

Judy T Shumway
Message 46 of 72

Hi @KapatidOriental ! Thank you for inquiring about testing out decimal quantities on your Square Register. Your Square Register needs to be updated to 3.8. Once your device is updated, you will have the ability to test this new feature. 

Message 47 of 72

@SQPhil I'd like to join!

Message 48 of 72

Hi @mvastola . I have enabled this feature to be used on your Android devices. Please refer to this website for instructions on how to get started: https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/6681

Thanks for helping us test this new feature! 

Message 49 of 72

@SQPhil, it's not working at all. Should I be using the "Square Invoices" app, or the "Square Invoices Beta" app? Neither one works. My decimal inventory items aren't showing up when I go to add an item to an invoice

Message 50 of 72

@SQPhil, okay. I just got it. It only works in the POS Beta app, which I just had to download. This is so convoluted!

Also, it appears I can't edit decimal quantity line items added from my browser, but I seem to be able to add new ones.

Additionally, although slightly off topic, I can't get the notification about the "Create an Invoice" tutorial to clear in the non-beta invoices app.

This all really should be consolidated into one UI. I get if some people only want some of the features and I don't mind installing multiple apps, but don't make me toggle between 5 different apps, literally. Right now I have Square POS, Square POS Beta, Square Invoices, Square Invoices Beta, and Square Appointments. It's kind of a mess.

Message 51 of 72

@SQPhil Sign us up! This is what I've been waiting for. We do meat sales at Farmers Markets

Message 52 of 72

Hi @WickhamFarm , 

I have enabled this feature on your account! Please visit https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/6681 for more information on how to get started. 

Message 53 of 72

@SQPhil Is there beta on the terminal? Can I be part of testing, if so?

if not, is there an eta on the update for the terminal?

thank you

Message 54 of 72

Hi @ThePantry , We are currently in beta for decimal quantities on the Square Terminal. I have enabled the feature on your account. Please log out then log back in to ensure the feature is enabled. 

Thank you! 

Message 55 of 72

Best Answer

Thank you to everyone who helped us test this feature out for Android devices! We're excited to announce that decimal quantities feature is no longer in beta and is now 100% live in the newest Square Point of Sale update (version 5.18). Please visit the Google Play Store to update! 

Message 56 of 72
Super Seller Alumni

Excellent, thanks for the notice, @SQPhil.  My experience with DQs on the Square Register has been nothing but great.  I still have the issue with no default quantity when you enter the item - I'd like to be able to set a default of one, but it's not a major hang-up, but I'd like to see it implemented.

Judy T Shumway
Message 57 of 72

Sorry if I haven't looked hard enough for the answer, but what about the Square terminal? 

Message 58 of 72

Hi! 

We are currently testing out this feature on Square Terminal. I have enabled the feature on your account and you can now test this out. 

Thanks again! 

Message 59 of 72

Thanks! When will I see it? I rebooted but nothing yet. Thanks! 

Message 60 of 72
Super Seller Alumni

Did you go through your items list and set them up for the units you want to use ($/pound, for instance?)  If you haven't done that, you won't see a difference since Square still thinks you're selling the items by the unit.

Judy T Shumway
Message 61 of 72

Hi @timmbuck2 , I wanted to follow up and see if everything was working on your end. If you're still not able to used decimal quantities, please reply to this thread and from there I'll send you a DM. 

Thanks! 

Message 62 of 72

Hi Phil. We've been testing DQ on iOS (iPads) for months now. We recently purchased a couple of Square Registers. I've updated the software to what appears to be the latest, but our DQ items still don't show up in the interface. Is this something the you need to enable on the backend again?

Message 63 of 72