x

Is Square compatible with 5G?

I am needing to buy a new phone and finding that square is not compatible with the new 5 G phones specifically Samsung phones.  I was looking at the Samsung s20 and the A71.

Are there other payment processors that are compatible with the new phones?

If I am going to get a new phone, I am thinking 5G phones are best. 

thanks

Message 1 of 6
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi there, @JulieO 👋 Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community!

I'm not sure which devices you are looking at specifically, but Square is most definitely compatible with 5G devices! I personally use the iPhone 12 Pro Max and I am able to run Square without issue!

If you're looking at a specific device and would like to see if its compatible with Square hardware, you can check out our compatibility resource here.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Best Answer

Hi there, @JulieO 👋 Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community!

I'm not sure which devices you are looking at specifically, but Square is most definitely compatible with 5G devices! I personally use the iPhone 12 Pro Max and I am able to run Square without issue!

If you're looking at a specific device and would like to see if its compatible with Square hardware, you can check out our compatibility resource here.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 6

It is not compatible with samsung 5g devices- the S20 and the A71 that I mentioned.

Message 3 of 6

I was just exhibiting at 2 conventions in the last 3 weeks. My iPhone 12 did not work on 5G and unlimited data—presumably because a glut of phones were using the same bandwidth. I got continuous errors from the reader. I was forced to switch to an Internet connection (one free/one exceedingly overpriced).

Has anyone found a better solution?

Cory

Message 4 of 6

Hi @WitchBorn1

Thanks for writing in and sorry to hear about the trouble here! 

This sounds like  it might be a network issue. It might be worth reaching out to your provider and check if 5G is available in the area you're in, or to see if there were any reported issues. As long as you have a stable internet connection, the Square Reader will be able to process payments. Another factor to consider could be the version of iOS running on your phone- check that both your phone, and the Square app are on the most up to date software versions. Lastly, you can check out the data settings in your iPhone settings directly. Take a look at this Apple help article 👍

Please let us know how you go 🙂

PS. I noticed it's your first post, welcome to our community 👋 🙂

Message 5 of 6
Super Seller

We have a retail outlet, and when my wired internet goes down I use a tablet with a hotspot and it uses 5G and I have had no issues of Square not processing my transactions.  Now I do see this post was started in 2020 and it is now 10-2021 so maybe some updates took care of this.  Your problem may have been due to network congestion in your setting and not the 5G band width problem.  Some venues have extra Cell repeaters inside a building to help with cellular signals but have limits too.  Maybe test your device with a 5G where you have a good signal and not a lot of people in the same area like a convention to test if it is actually the amount of people slowing down the internet connection and timing it out or if it is the 5G.   

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 6 of 6