x

Is there a way to temporarily deactivate a particular item?

Is there a way to temporarily deactivate a particular item? I would like to remove it from the list of items so it doesn't get used in error but I don't want to lose the historical sales information, and the item will be used again at a later date.

Thanks for any insight!

Message 1 of 60
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

You can absolutely accomplish this with the workaround I'll share below!

What you'll want to do is head to your Item Library, then select the item you wish to hide to view the edit page:

Where you see Locations, click the location shown to view the Locations pop-up screen:

You'll want to deselect all locations at which the item is currently listed as available.
Don't forget to save your changes afterward - I hope this helps, @TaraE!

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 40 of 60
59 REPLIES 59

Screen shot 2 with a Category/Sub Category with Hidden feature on Zen Cart.

PM1973_1-1645238944094.png

Message 43 of 60

Products that are Disabled within a category for Zen Cart.

PM1973_2-1645239105195.png

Message 44 of 60

I use Zen Cart. Within the Products listing you can either make a product inactive by two ways. 1st, within the Product List, i can either click on a small square icon to change color from Green to Red. Or two, i can simply edit the product and them mark the tab for Disable to make that product inactive from my available products.

https://www.shadowsinthedark.com/

Message 45 of 60

Hi Valentina!

I work in a craft beer and wine bar that has a very heavy rotation of new beverages coming in and out, some specialty one offs (that we can delete) but primarily things that are only offered seasonally. With that said I too was looking for some kind of feature to activate and reactivate. I tried this work around to declutter the thousands of beers still showing on our square POS tablet. While it no longer shows on the square POS tablet, it ALSO no longer shows in my items to re-assign a location to items we bring back into inventory causing me to need to add the item again. Do the items that are disabled through deselecting the locations go somewhere other than the items page?

Please help!  Thank you!

Message 46 of 60
Square Community Moderator

Heya @tnpea,

Stepping in for Valentina here 👋

I'm glad this helped you declutter your POS! You should still be able to view the items in your Items Dashboard, so this definitely sounds odd. This is what the item you've removed from your locations should look like in your dashboard:

Can you let me know what you're seeing from your end? 

Message 47 of 60

Hello!

The items that I moved to All Future Locations do not show up at all. Only the items that were not moved are showing up. For example... I moved an Alpine Nelson to all future locations, when I search the items section for this beer it does not show at all. I re entered the information and it is now showing up under the current location but ideally I would just be able to move it back it, rather than having to enter in all of the information again.  Does that make sense? 

I should have full admin access according to how I am listed in the system on my end as well as from the owners portal. 

Message 48 of 60
Super Seller

Hey @tnpea one quick question: are you looking for the items you moved out of your main location on a tablet that is logged into your location or on your back office dashboard? Items that aren’t linked to a location will not show up on the tablet, but you can still access every item from your back office dashboard. Item management at this level is so much easier from the back office than it is from a tablet.

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 49 of 60

Hi Ryan!

So I am working from the website on the computer. I also checked from the tablet and my iphone app. I had moved the items to "All Future Locations" but nothing shows up as being held in there. I am only ever shown the current location items and there is no toggle to change locations shown in order to see both current and future location items. Do I need to create a fake location for them to show? Additionally , if I do this will it charge for the fake location? Can I keep the same location information from the real location on the new "fake" location?

Thank you!

Message 50 of 60

Hello, @tnpea

Welcome back to the seller community!

We're delighted to assist you further with your request. To ensure we fully comprehend your question, could you please confirm if you have created a tab or location in your account called "Available at all future locations"? It's important to note that in order to view your items in a specific location, that location needs to be active. Currently, we see that you have only one active location named "The Whining Pig Phoenix."

Could you kindly provide us with more details regarding your question? This will help us better understand your situation and provide you with the most accurate assistance. We'll be eagerly awaiting your response.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 51 of 60

Hi Sayra!

We do not have a a specified future location added. My last question was if I needed to add a "Fake Location" So I am able to see those old items that I moved to the option "All Future Locations". With that said if I create a nonexistent "Fake location" will this create additional costs? Everything we removed to declutter, instead of marking it available at this only location we have, we marked it as "All future locations" which I believe was just a default holding place. There is no option in the items screen to filter by "All future locations" so I am ONLY shown the current inventory at our real, and only location. Location EditLocation EditItems screenItems screen

Message 52 of 60

Hello @tnpea stepping in for @sayra while she is out. I am sorry still trying to clarify what your end goal here is. You are creating a fake location so you are able to see the old items and want to know if you create the location is there a cost? When you have a moment you can provide us with more details? Thank you. 

Message 53 of 60

Depending on your cart set up, You can have your item posted on the category. I use Zen Cart and I am able to use this feature to make Items Inactive and Active Status. Example, my template product page design, i have them as Inactive status so they are not seen by my customers. I can view all Inactive items on my Dashboard for Product Listing.

Message 54 of 60
Beta Member

I'm having the same problem as the users above.  However, my problem is now that we have removed inactive items from locations, but only our account owner can access the items without a location.  We have two administrators who we'd also like to be able to move those inactive items back into the correct location as needed (so then it will show up on the terminal).  Is this possible?

Message 55 of 60

Hey @jstemma,

This option is only available to anyone with full account access which would be the account owner.

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Message 56 of 60
Beta Member

So I’m unable to allow a manger to do this without giving them my login?  If I’m unable to give them this permission then how is the best way to inactive items? I was previously guided to using “no locations” as a way to inactive items that will later come back to use, but I need to be able to allow my manager to do this. 

Message 57 of 60
Square

If you go into your employee permissions, and give the administrators access to "all and future locations" they should be able to see these items. The location filtering that happens because they don't have all locations is hiding the disabled items.

Message 58 of 60
Beta Member

I don’t know if this will help anyone but what I do is: I created a category called “Discontinued” where I move the item to, then I add “z~” to the beginning of the name of the item, and I remove it from locations. That way, they are all bumped to the very bottom of my Item List, and if they come back for some reason we can reactivate them easily. Removing them from all locations also disables any Out Of Stock alert so we don’t see them when trying to place orders. Happy to provide more clarification if needed. 

Message 59 of 60

Thanks for sharing, @collinsandcoupe 😊

Message 60 of 60