x
Beta Member

Phishing scam emails: What should I do if I get a phishing or spam email?

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Phishing scam emails: Anybody else got this one...again??

269171DF-B620-4A54-9166-C8C83E3A2CED.png

Message 1 of 23
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Thanks for flagging this @TheRidge — you're right, that email was not sent Square. If you haven't already please forward that email to spoof@squareup.com to report it. You can then mark the email as spam or delete it.

You already have good intuition but this Support Center article has more information about how to recognize and report phishing scam emails (like this!) and we shared some email and account security best practices in a recent Live Q&A. Hope these help you and anyone else reading this! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Admin

Best Answer

Thanks for flagging this @TheRidge — you're right, that email was not sent Square. If you haven't already please forward that email to spoof@squareup.com to report it. You can then mark the email as spam or delete it.

You already have good intuition but this Support Center article has more information about how to recognize and report phishing scam emails (like this!) and we shared some email and account security best practices in a recent Live Q&A. Hope these help you and anyone else reading this! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 23

I forwarded the spam email to spoof@squareup.com and it came back 'undeliverable'.

Message 3 of 23
Admin

If you have received an email claiming to be from Square that seems suspicious, you should be able to forward it to spoof@squareup.com so our teams can take a look @dotortruchsess. 

The email account should still be active. Did the email say why it wasn't deliverable? 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 4 of 23

I received an email from the below person and I am not sure if it is spam. The title says:

IMPORTANT: We encountered error collecting fees automatically for the following services!

This email was in my spam folder

Square [redacted] via auth.ccsend.com 

Message 5 of 23
Square Community Moderator

Hi @CoastalStrokes,

Thanks for flagging.

That email definitely is not one of ours.

I moved your post to an existing thread in the Community that goes over how to recognize them and next steps on what to do with them.

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 23

Thanks I just checked my spam folder and there are a total of 4 spam emails I will delete them 

Message 7 of 23

I am getting emails I will send photos of emails as I do not understand I have never paid this before 

Message 8 of 23

Hey @Oldbootlace,

I moved your post to an existing thread on phishing scam emails that aren't actually from us.

@Helen shared some more information on how to recognize them and what to do with them in her best answer above!

Ashley C
Message 9 of 23

Has anyone else been getting emails about your deposits being on hold or something to that effect. Ive gotten about 3 and they are all from different emails and not in the same format or written the same. Just wondering if i should be concerned with being hacked at all. 

Message 10 of 23
Super Seller Alumni

Those emails are probably spam, but it's unlikely that you've been hacked as long as you haven't clicked on any links that are in the emails or responded to them.  To be sure, forward them to spoof@squareup.com and they will investigate for you.

A few indicators that emails aren't from Square are:

• The sender's email address doesn't end with @squareup.com.  All emails from Square will come from an account ending with that domain.
  • Look for ungrammatical English and/or misspelled words.
  • Look for links that the email tries to get you to click.

Good luck.

Judy T Shumway
Message 11 of 23

FYI: on March 9th I received a fraud email which stated it was from Square but it was really sent from a scammer with an email address of bernieppso@aol.com

Their purpose is to have you click on the link then enter your username and password so they can steal it. I doubt if Square cares but I thought whoever reads this should know. 

square fraud.png

Message 12 of 23
Super Seller Alumni

Square does care, and you should forward that email to: spoof@squareup.com.

See this article for more information

Judy T Shumway
Message 13 of 23

Hacking, phishing,spoofs...I don't know what's real anymore. I've talked to fake customer support via phone and chat (square and others). Is square@help-messaging.square.com an actual square email address? 

Message 14 of 23

Hey @mp88,

I moved your post to an existing thread that goes over phishing scam emails.

The email you mentioned above is actually our email address though so anything from that is legitimate. 

Ashley C
Message 15 of 23

I received an email with a link out to this website: squareupmessaging.com Is this part of Square or a scam?

Message 16 of 23

telling me that a customer asked for a refund for a very odd amounts. The spam emails have a link and if you click on the link it wants me to sign in to my square account which of course I’m not going to do. How can I stop these emails. Thanks 

Message 17 of 23

I received an email that looks very similar and of which I can't find any remnance on my account under comments... Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 2.09.26 AM.jpg

Message 18 of 23
Alumni

Thanks for letting us know. Be sure to forward to spoof@squareup.com. @cdose

Justin
Message 19 of 23

I also got the same email,  after checking my account on the pc and not finding anything in my account I also sent this in as spam.!

Message 20 of 23

I get these very often -- usually telling me that I got a terrible review from a customer who is demanding a very high amount in a refund, or that I got a good review, and always directing me to click on a link (which I never do).  The emails are never from SquareUp.  I'll forward the latest (today) to spoof@squareup.com.

Message 21 of 23