x

Can I use Square to process payments on a US military base physically located outside of the US?

I understand Square is working to get it available overseas.  I am wondering where you are in the process.  Is the a date we can look forward to seeing the services available to us overseas?

Until then, I work on a U.S. military installation in Japan.  My understanding the U.S. military installation are soverign U.S. territories, is it possible to get FPO and APO address authorized for use to allow those of us serving overseas to use Square?

The title of this post has been edited from the original: Square in the U.S. overseas.

Message 1 of 28
1 Best Answer

Best Answer

@TheRevaxiolist Hey this is kind of a tricky question. Never the less I'm glad you asked it!

Currently, if you have a United States Square account, you will only be able to process transactions if you are located in one of the 50 states. Currently card processing is not available in any territories or military installations. 

Learn more about international availability here.

I hope this information helps. If you have any other questions feel free to reply back! 😃

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 28
27 REPLIES 27

Best Answer

@TheRevaxiolist Hey this is kind of a tricky question. Never the less I'm glad you asked it!

Currently, if you have a United States Square account, you will only be able to process transactions if you are located in one of the 50 states. Currently card processing is not available in any territories or military installations. 

Learn more about international availability here.

I hope this information helps. If you have any other questions feel free to reply back! 😃

Message 2 of 28

If I exhibit (sell) in the US, and someone gives me a non US credit card, I can process with Square?  If I go to Hong Kong, I cannot process even an american credit card?  Same for mainland China?  What about Europe?  I have the option in my US phone of either using a US phone number or Chinese number - if I use my US phone number, and am abroad, will the system work then?  

Message 3 of 28
Super Seller

Square uses the GPS of the phone to tell where you are.  It gets super complicated for square to make deals in different regions with the credit card companies and it's up to the credit card processors as to what can happen where.

Message 4 of 28

Thanks Chad, my wife is Japanese so this is an option; however, most of my current customers are American (military) using U.S. credit cards.

Message 5 of 28
Square

@TheRevaxiolist - You can accept international cards with a Japanese account. It's the same processing rate too. 🙂

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 6 of 28

@Sean - Thanks I appreciate it, this is good information.

Message 7 of 28

Just checking in to see if something has changed since you last posted. I will go to Iceland and wonder if I could use my Square there? Or is it still in the USA? 

Message 8 of 28
Square Community Moderator

@PetersonToscano Unfortunately there's no new developments in regards to this. 

Your U.S. Square account will only work within the U.S.. 

We're always trying to bring Square to new markets, so if anything changes we'll definitely update everyone. 

Message 9 of 28

Does it work with us credit cards in a different country. Say I wanted to sell some items while on a cruise to Spain? All the guests are Americans, ship is US? 

Message 10 of 28
Super Seller

@Ranirastawoman, Square will not work outside the borders of the United States due to contracts with the credit card providers.  Square uses the GPS on your phone to prove you are physically in the 50 US states.  It is due to these agreements why you have to have an account in each country that Square does have service (US, Canada, Japan, Australia, and the United Kingdom) so you can agree to the terms in that jurisdiction.

Message 11 of 28

Bummer. Thanks much VanKalkerFarms

Message 12 of 28

I am in the exact same situation, living in Japan on a military base, but no Japanese ties and all my potential clients are American.  I am disappointed because I bought the square reader assuming that it would work, especially in FPO because Apple is so international - never thought to ask.  Is there any way to use the reader with a different service or anything for the time being?

Message 13 of 28
Alumni

Hey there @ldegarci - I'm so sorry for the misunderstanding on this. As @Chad mentioned above, credit card processing will only work in the nation where the account was opened. 

For your question about the card reader, Square hardware only works with the Square Point of Sale app. 

Again, I am sorry for the misunderstanding. 

Message 14 of 28

Sooo when I take my products overseas where it seems nobody has cash, any ideas on how to take credit cards?  I understand that square won't work, yet but just wondering if any of you have discovered systems that work.

Thanks in advance.

Message 15 of 28

I'm disheartened to see that this question about APO/FPO addresses goes back to 2016 and has no apparent resolution. I live at an overseas APO address but Square only allows CONUS addresses at registration - I don't have an address to use, as my APO is my permanent address. These are US installations and territories, which would involve US cards. I wrote Square about it - has anyone else found a solution? Is the entire overseas military community shut out from Square?

Message 16 of 28
Super Seller

One issue is even if they could accept APO addresses the Square service wouldn't work as it doesn't work outside of the United States as the contracts with the credit card companies have Square verifying via GPS that the transaction is taking place inside the physical country borders of where the Square account originated.

Message 17 of 28

I'm with you... disheartened is the nice way to put it.  In this day and age... EVERY company should be aware that per the US PATRIOT ACT,  Military Addresses with APO,AP and FPO,AP are 100% legally recognized NON PO BOX United States Postal Service Addresses. Most IP addresses are US addresses if gotten on base, and if not a VPN is actually not a new phenomenon. SOFA Status members don't get resident cards.... which is a PIA in EVERY ASPECT of doing business here.  The Japanese shut us out entirely.... didn't think the US companies would fail to support military and government employees on US BASES.... where all stores and ATMs are processed on VISA/MC/and AMEX systems as AMERICAN TRANSACTIONS.

So yeah.. disheartened is an understatement. If the big businesses can process credit transactions... it seems as though it is simply a stingy move not wanting to support military owned small businesses because it just isn't worth the amount of business we do.  Pretty crappy actually.... It's been 3 years + just on this thread alone.. with us asking for service.   

Hey Square.. ya know how you could "Thank folks for their service"???  Here's an idea... try providing service to them!!!!!

Message 18 of 28

Can use my square card in Egypt Cairo

Message 19 of 28
Super Seller

@alladin, that's an interesting question.  I'm not sure if the card can be used overseas, I would think yes as it is a MasterCard.  but maybe not, @Tom any input as to if it will work?

Edit: It does not work internationally currently as confirmed a few posts below.

Message 20 of 28
Admin

Great question, @alladin and @VanKalkerFarms. Let me make sure I get the facts straight and I'll be back as soon as I can confirm.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 21 of 28