x
Beta Member

WHY can't we turn off auto-sending of receipts?

Why is it we cannot turn off the feature by which Square automatically sends a receipt to a customer if there is an email associated with their credit card?

We own two small chocolate shops around Madison, WI and this "feature" causes huge headaches for us.  I have fielded calls, emails, and numerous complaints from customers who bought a gift for their spouse/significant other, and when they made the purchase on their joint account, a receipt was automatically sent to their spouse/significant other, ruining the surprise of the gift and telling the person exactly what their gift is.

I have complained to Square and requested a setting by which you can say "Always prompt for receipt" but I find it unlikely they will make the change based solely on my request.  If you think this is an issue, please chime-in.  Have you had problems with this?  How hae you addressed them?  Have you figured out any workarounds (beyond using a different card/cash/check)?  Do you have any other thoughts?  Would you like Square to add this capability to turn the feature off?  Please let your voice be heard!

Message 1 of 112
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

@Dan1, We had the auto send feature turned off on Square's server end on our account last year so it will always ask even if they already have an email address on file.  We called and it was specifically said it wasn't an option to do, but it is.

I'm not sure the process, I did it thru the guy who is in charge of the beta facebook program @Howard and within 5 minutes it was all working right.  @Chad@Kpay

I 100% agree that it should be by default to ask me what I want not assume I always want digital receipts.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 112
111 REPLIES 111

Great! Thanks for your help.

Message 85 of 112

Hi.  Can you disable the automatic receipt option from being sent from our store? We have been getting numerous complaints that receipts are being sent to a spouse that ruins the surprise.

Thank you.

Lori

Message 86 of 112
Square Community Moderator

Heya @LoriTCC,

There's not a way to disable these automatic receipts for Online Store orders at this time.

They'll be sent to whichever email the customer enters so it's best they enter their own email and not a shared one in this case!

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 87 of 112

It’s not online orders....it’s our brick and mortar store.  Please help.

~Lori

Message 88 of 112

You'll need to contact our direct CS team for this as stated in one of my previous comments above @LoriTCC.

Ashley C
Message 89 of 112

Can we have the auto-emailed receipt / invoice turned off on our account as well?

Cheers!

Message 90 of 112

Hi @TNSca,

For some reason I'm not able to do so on my end. 

It's best to contact our direct CS team for requests like this since the Seller Community is intended for seller to seller conversations.

Ashley C
Message 91 of 112

We would like to turn off the feature that sends email receipts to our clients. We are a gift shop and it can ruin the surprise.

Message 92 of 112
Alumni

@Harborgold Hi there. CS can do this for you. There's function they have to manually disable on your account. Reach out here

Justin
Message 93 of 112

Hi @Chad, my boss runs a barbershop/hair cuts and she has stated that she doesn't want to send out receipts unless they request them since a lot of her cliental are elderly and she doesn't want to overload her clients with texts or emails.  Also is there a way to customize the clients files so that only some will receive a confirmation while others receive a reminder as well?  Thank you for your time.

Message 94 of 112

Hello there @Confused2 and welcome to the Seller Community!

At this time the Support team can assist with either enabling or disabling automatic receipts. Having the option to choose per customer is a feature request at this time.

I hope this information is helpful!

JJ
Message 95 of 112

Thank you, could we please disable the automatic receipts.

Message 96 of 112

When you get a chance please reach out to our Support them here for this request.

JJ
Message 97 of 112

Sorry I went to do that and then when it asked for her social security number to verify her identity she said 'they can go jump in the lake', she has been scammed to often.

Message 98 of 112

Hey there @Confused2 

I am having trouble understanding your reply. Do you mean that Support was not able to assist disabling Automatic receipts on your account or is this something else?

JJ
Message 99 of 112

@JJ_ Thank you for your fast reply, I'll contact them.

Message 100 of 112

Hello. I need this feature turned off on my account. We do weddings and other events, like birthday and anniversary partys, and people sometimes book our services as a surprise, but it automatically sends out a receipt. Also, almost half the time that it automatically sends out a receipt, it isn't to the email address that the client gave me. 

Message 101 of 112
Super Seller

The quickest way is to contact Customer Support . They will be able to help you turn off automatically sending emails when guests check out. They can still send emailed receipts and even change the email address if they want to use a different one.

www.PartyManiaBethesda.com
Please Require Customers to pick time/date at checkout for Square online. Thanks!
Message 102 of 112

Thanks! Good to know that's actually possible still. I did actually contact them before I posted here, and while they told me they had changed that setting, my clients are still getting receipts. Sounds like maybe I just need to get the right customer service person. I'll try, again, but it would be great if Square could get this clearly sorted out in their system and with their customer service people.

Message 103 of 112
Super Seller

No worries, I should have mentioned that wording can be a bit tricky.

I suggest having this thread open so you can link it to them. I had mine turned off less than a month ago because of too many people throwing surprise parties.

Best of luck and be prepared for some confusion as people constantly try to re-enter their email address, at least on square register the blurred out email address is a bit on the light side.

www.PartyManiaBethesda.com
Please Require Customers to pick time/date at checkout for Square online. Thanks!
Message 104 of 112

Ah, thanks for these helpful tips. I'm really glad to hear you were able to get them successfully turned off. I'm hopeful that because my invoices go to their email address already, that the re-entering won't be an issue for me. Fingers crossed! Thanks, again!

Message 105 of 112