x
Beta Member

WHY can't we turn off auto-sending of receipts?

Why is it we cannot turn off the feature by which Square automatically sends a receipt to a customer if there is an email associated with their credit card?

We own two small chocolate shops around Madison, WI and this "feature" causes huge headaches for us.  I have fielded calls, emails, and numerous complaints from customers who bought a gift for their spouse/significant other, and when they made the purchase on their joint account, a receipt was automatically sent to their spouse/significant other, ruining the surprise of the gift and telling the person exactly what their gift is.

I have complained to Square and requested a setting by which you can say "Always prompt for receipt" but I find it unlikely they will make the change based solely on my request.  If you think this is an issue, please chime-in.  Have you had problems with this?  How hae you addressed them?  Have you figured out any workarounds (beyond using a different card/cash/check)?  Do you have any other thoughts?  Would you like Square to add this capability to turn the feature off?  Please let your voice be heard!

Message 1 of 112
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

@Dan1, We had the auto send feature turned off on Square's server end on our account last year so it will always ask even if they already have an email address on file.  We called and it was specifically said it wasn't an option to do, but it is.

I'm not sure the process, I did it thru the guy who is in charge of the beta facebook program @Howard and within 5 minutes it was all working right.  @Chad@Kpay

I 100% agree that it should be by default to ask me what I want not assume I always want digital receipts.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 112
111 REPLIES 111
Square Community Moderator

Hello @SaraAv

Sorry for the delay, we were trying to make these edits for you on our end. After looking into it, we realized that this is not an action we can take on this platform (as to why we were not familiar with the process). As mentioned by Partyguy, our Customer Success team can help further in this case. If you haven’t gotten this feature turned off, we would be happy to send your case over directly to the team. Please let us know. 

Thank you. 

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 106 of 112

@sayra, thanks so much for your work to try and fix it. I'll get in touch with Customer Success and work with them to get it resolved.

Thanks, again,

Sara

Message 107 of 112

Please turn this off on our account as well.

Message 108 of 112

Please turn this off on our account.

Message 109 of 112

Hey @HKSI first of all welcome to the Seller Community. We have completed your request, thank you for reaching out.

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 110 of 112

I received a very negative review because somebody received a receipt for drinks at their place of work. We don't have their email address. Can you please disable on our account asap! 

Message 111 of 112

We're sorry to hear you received a negative review, @BensBrewingCo. The reason this customer would've received the receipt is because they opted in when making a sale previously. While I'm not able to turn this feature off on your account, the customer can easily unlink their email address by clicking on "Not My Receipt" on the bottom of the digital receipt they received. 

Message 112 of 112