x
Admin

We Launched our CBD Early Access Program! 🎉

Interested in selling CBD with Square? Great news—we launched an early access program to support the sale of some CBD products!🎉 

We're thrilled to offer sellers a quick, easy, and secure way to sell CBD products and grow their business. 

👉 To complete an application form and request an invite to join, go to to www.squareup.com/solutions/cbd, then click Get Started👈

Generally speaking, sellers in the program can accept payments and carry items that meet the following requirements:

• Hemp and hemp-derived CBD products that have less than 0.3% THC in all states excluding Idaho and South Dakota. Payment acceptance is for the US only at this time.
  • No marijuana or marijuana derived products; products that contain more than 0.3% THC, illegal drugs and products that otherwise violate Square’s Payment Terms.
  • No hemp flower.
  • Included items cannot make health claims.

For more details on eligibility, head over to this resource in our Support Center: Accepting Payments for CBD in Square Early Access Program.

We're excited to help our sellers by offering a reliable solution for CBD sales. Feel free to weigh in with any comments or questions below. 🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 1 of 36
1 Verified Answer
Tom
Verified Answer

We Launched our CBD Early Access Program! 🎉

Interested in selling CBD with Square? Great news—we launched an early access program to support the sale of some CBD products!🎉 

We're thrilled to offer sellers a quick, easy, and secure way to sell CBD products and grow their business. 

👉 To complete an application form and request an invite to join, go to to www.squareup.com/solutions/cbd, then click Get Started👈

Generally speaking, sellers in the program can accept payments and carry items that meet the following requirements:

• Hemp and hemp-derived CBD products that have less than 0.3% THC in all states excluding Idaho and South Dakota. Payment acceptance is for the US only at this time.
  • No marijuana or marijuana derived products; products that contain more than 0.3% THC, illegal drugs and products that otherwise violate Square’s Payment Terms.
  • No hemp flower.
  • Included items cannot make health claims.

For more details on eligibility, head over to this resource in our Support Center: Accepting Payments for CBD in Square Early Access Program.

We're excited to help our sellers by offering a reliable solution for CBD sales. Feel free to weigh in with any comments or questions below. 🙂

35 REPLIES 35

We applied for the program 6 1/2 weeks ago and have not hear anything or been able to contact anyone to inquire. Can anyone help us out with some information? Thank You

Message 22 of 36

Hello,

Thanks for the support!

Last May I reached out regarding the status of my CBD account. At the time I was told that an invite trial program was full but that I would receive a response from the appropriate team as soon as it opened.  Its been 7 months and kindly request that someone get back.  Thanks again!

Message 23 of 36
Admin

Hey @jamazon!

Thanks for your comment.

So as of 7 months ago, you were correct, our program was full and we were not accepting new applicants.

Now, we have a program that you can apply to. Should you decide to apply (if you haven't already), have a look at this post.

I hope this helps, but let me know if I've misunderstood your question! 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 24 of 36

I submitted my application on 10/28/19 and have heard nothing in the 11 weeks since. No one will tell me if you actually have the application only to "be patient". Can someone help me out with this?

Message 25 of 36
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @MichaelEFHC - I want to let you know that we hear you, here.

We receive mass amounts of applications for CBD daily. It may take some time as we work through our volume of cases and applications, but you can insure that we will reply to you soon. We appreciate your patience.

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 26 of 36

I applied to be a part of the CBD early access program in March 2020. They FINALLY got to my application on February 5, 2021, and when they did, they shut down my account until I could provide them with all of the documentation they requested. I submitted the first round of documents and it said they would review it in 2 business days. I heard back on Tuesday, February 9 and they were asking for additional documents and requesting that I remove any health claims from my website. I ended up removing all descriptions of all of my CBD products completely and had to take down all of my FAQs that educated people about what CBD is and what it can do. Again, I provided them immediately, and it said it would take another 2 business days. I finally heard back on February 13 that I was approved and my account was reactivated almost 11 months after applying.

Grateful that I can accept credit cards again, but now questioning whether all the trouble was worth it since I no longer have any descriptions of the products on the website and all of my educational information is now gone. Plus, the processing fees are so much higher (example $20 purchase - previous fee would have been $0.62 and now it's $1.14). Not sure where to go form here.....

Message 27 of 36
Super Seller

Yes the CBD program is well worth the Waite  that it took. So they have federal rules that they have to follow for their banking partner, the descriptions you had did not follow the rules four what you’re allowed to say (assuming it made medical or health claims). Being legitimate and actually using a processor like square in their CBD beta program is an amazing thing and you always pay more for high-risk products.

Message 28 of 36

Do you still need an account?

Message 29 of 36

Will CBD be allowed for online sales?

I know currently CBD is not allowed through square but how close are we to allowing it?

Message 30 of 36

Most of the CBD sellers do it through online shops, once you go through the application process and it is accepted you will be able to sell CBD product in your online shop and receiving the money through Square. Keep in mind the application process can take up to 6 weeks.

Message 31 of 36

Is this still an Early Access Program 2 years later? I signed up and receive nothing. I currently have a website on shopify and am considering moving it to square but I can't get ahold of anyone regarding CBD sales. Since this early access program started almost 2 years ago I am assuming there is something in place now? How do I know if I am allowed or not if no one ever follows up after applying to sign up? Surely the process is more streamlined now? Or can I just use one of your merchant accounts with my already existing shopify store?

Message 32 of 36
Square Community Moderator

Hey @southernyummy and welcome to the Community.

I'm sorry you haven't heard back yet. I passed your case to an Account Services member who handles our CBD onboarding that can assist you further.

We don't have access to your account here from the Community since it's intended for seller to seller conversation, but they'll follow up with you by email with next steps once they get my escalation. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 33 of 36

Hello,

I applied to the EAP program on June 8th and haven't received any confirmation, response, update. Within the last few months I've called support a few times to get in touch with the sales team with no success. I am eager to start my business using square's services. Please assist me in moving forward I really would like to work with square. Please!

Thank you!!

Message 34 of 36

Good luck. I applied and was using square for my store and they have been checking my site, facebook, and pinterest for the past 5 weeks and every few days I have to go change something and are holding my funds this long from my brick and mortar store until they are satisfied. They will come back every couple days and tell you to change something else. Sometimes it's valid things to change and other times it's either stuff that has already been changed or not even applicable to their terms. Waiting to see if they ever approve or if I will have to sue to get my funds released eventually. I want to work with square too but not sure if they really want to work with my brick and mortar store or not. We shall see soon. 

Message 35 of 36

I received an email last Friday 8/6 saying that my application was being reviewed and that I would be contacted within 2 business days. I was so excited because I applied June 6th and have been eagerly waiting for a response. After not hearing from anyone since last Friday I decided to call square support. Only to find out that it was a scam/phishing email, not actually sent from square. I'm sad again 😞 .

Will post email below:

Date: Fri, Aug 6, 2021 at 5:18 PM
Subject: Thank you. Our team will reach out shortly.

Thank you

Thank you for applying to process payments with Square for CBD products. At this time, we are reviewing your application and will be in touch within 2 business days.

If you don't already have a Square account, please do not move forward in creating one just yet. We will be in touch shortly with next steps.

Thanks,
The Square team

Message 36 of 36