x
Sharonda

Re: Why are fees higher for manually-entered transactions?

In some cases a cell phone is unavailbale. Can you use the virtual terminal and a insert card reader into the laptop? If not, please provide other options. Thank you!

Message 31 of 46
katieand Alumni

Hi @Sharonda - With virtual terminal, you just key in payments to your computer. Learn more about it here: https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5807-get-started-with-virtual-terminal

Message 32 of 46
WTPC

Question, is a stored credit card that I run a transaction on considered a keyed in transaction?

Question, is a stored credit card that I run a transaction on considered a keyed in transaction and at the 3.5% + .15 cents?

Message 33 of 46
VanKalkerFarms Super Seller

Re: Question, is a stored credit card that I run a transaction on considered a keyed in transaction?

Message 34 of 46
Demokritos

I have a card reader that I acquired somehow in the past, so I thought I would try to use it while waiting for the official one to arrive in the mail.  It wouldn't work.  I just got no response whatsoever.  Is that because it isn't a special one assigned to me or did I do something wrong?

Message 35 of 46
VanKalkerFarms Super Seller

one of the first things I'm thinking is if you don't know how you got it or where it was is that it is the old style that doesn't work anymore.  for the first few years, they had one that they stopped supporting due to newer encryption.

Nothing is tied to an account from a reader they are just "dumb devices" that are only tied to whatever account the app is logged into.

Message 36 of 46
Skn

I was charged the manual fees on my trial when I swiped my card. Never entered my credit card number. Why was this?

Message 37 of 46
Admin

@Skn I'm very sorry for the delay in this reply!

If you received free processing as part of Square's Referral Program the per transaction fee is still assessed when you swipe a card - but the fee is then credited back to you before funds are deposited to your bank account. There's information about how to confirm your reimbursed processing fees in this Support Center article. 

Message 38 of 46
QCK

Reader didn’t read the swipe so I had to manually enter

Hi I was at an event yesterday and many cars transactions took place, a lot of cards when swiped through the reader just wouldn’t register any activity n customers get nervous when u swipe multiple times thinking they wl be charged multiple times

so I ended up manually entering their info-heartbreaking to know I have to pay extra for that! I have a brand new reader so I’m just perplexed it did that but I lost in the bargain 😥

Message 39 of 46
Admin

Re: Reader didn’t read the swipe so I had to manually enter

Thanks for your post @QCK, I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you had using the reader at your event! These magstripe reader troubleshooting steps should help but if the reader still isn't working go ahead and call our CS team so they can see what the issue might be.

Message 40 of 46