x

Will fees for manual entry be waived during COVID-19?

Here's a friendly suggestion from a long time Square user with multiple business locations: to help small businesses cope with the craziness of COVID-19 - waive the extra charges for manually entered credit cards, since we are (in many states) being forced to take payment over the phone versus swiping a card, therefore being forced to have higher fees!!!

Thank you for listening!

Message 1 of 166
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

We're here to provide whatever resources we're able to, @FifiFido. We’re continually evaluating all options to help our sellers as this situation evolves, however we haven’t made changes to transaction fees at this time. *For a comprehensive explanation of how Square processing fees work, have a look here: Understanding Our Fees | Square PaymentsOr this informative video!

In addition, we put together some Coronavirus resources available here in the Seller Community definitely let us know if any questions come up after taking a peek!

Have you considered using Square Invoices to accept payments, or taking payments online instead of manually entering card information in? You could also get started with your online store by taking a look at this article from our Support Center.

*This reply was edited by a moderator on August 26, 2020 to offer more visibility into Square's pricing.

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 5 of 166
165 REPLIES 165
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @droidbaker - while I can't speak to the circumstances surrounding other Sellers and their work with our Support Team, we have no broad plans to offer free processing at this time.

You can learn about our efforts to Support our Sellers during this time by visiting our Resource Hub.

Joe
Message 64 of 166

The items that you are offering/waiving right now do not benefit many of us in our current situation.  I have been a using Square for almost 5 years & as others have asked maybe not free processing but just a 1% reduction.  Your companies actions by not stepping up to help small businesses is really sad to me when we are what makes your business.  I expected your company to handle this different you have really let us down and disappointed us.  I can speak not only for myself but others that since you are not willing to help us in this great time of need that I will begin exploring other POS systems.

Message 65 of 166

Thanks for the prompt reply, @droidbaker - we hear you, here. While many have offered their positive remarks regarding our efforts to assist Sellers, we realize that every business finds itself in uniquely difficult circumstances at this moment - Square included. Our efforts will inevitability help some businesses more than others. 

We’re continually evaluating all options to help our sellers as this situation evolves, however we haven’t made changes to transaction fees at this time. Thanks again for your patience and understanding.

Joe
Message 66 of 166

@Joe 

As a business owner myself, there is a huge difference between acknowledging receipt of a complaint and actually DOING something about the complaint. I think you are smart enough to recognize under which category your response falls. Further, I am extremely disappointed that you deleted some of the complaint replies.  That's directly from the book of Russian government. 

Let's turn this around and have Square be the HERO/HEROINE of this dark time in our lives. 1%.  That's it. ONE PERCENT decrease in manually entered credit cards. What is it to Square? More money for the fickle shareholders or don't care if Square is good to its client-base ? Or more money for shareholders  who would like to invest in socially-responsible companies? (Where are the millennials in your company ?! Don't they have a moral bone in their bodies?)  

Ask your marketing team to tout that Square was the one company that responded to their struggling clients and helped them during the NEW RECESSION or possible DEPRESSION. Hey! There's a concept! More clients signing up with Square because they care (new slogan,hint hint) means more money for cold-hearted shareholders and socially-responsible shareholders alike!  Be smart, and welcome yourselves to the 21st Century of socially responsible, caring companies.

Message 67 of 166

VERY WELL SAID! 

Message 68 of 166

@Joe I work for a small office that relies on Square and the manual entry fee along with the fact that there is a glitch in expiration dates with manual entry (yes yes I've updated my operating system, and the square up (several times) and know about the Virtual Terminal which I use) leaves me being extremely disappointed in Square and considering other payment options.  

On top of all this, I bought Square shares last year because I believed in the business so I'M A SHAREHOLDER and I still want square to bring down the processing fees in this unprecedented time!!!

Mary E

Message 69 of 166

Hi there, @Docwelton - thanks for adding your voice here. We’re continually evaluating all options to help our sellers as this situation evolves, however we haven’t made changes to transaction fees at this time.

We realize these are unprecedented times - and Square is not immune to making tough decisions. While I am not privy to the decision process for our our Covid resources, we will continue to make any new updates vocal here and on all of our communication platforms. 

In the meantime, if you are interested in some insight into resources for Investors - you can visit out Investor Relations tab here. 

Joe
Message 70 of 166

If we go under eventually SQUARE will feel the hit. When small businesses close down MAYBE you will say hmmmm we probably should have done something. ANYTHING would help. Shame on SQUARE.

Message 71 of 166

It is because they don't have to. We are at their mercy. But what they do not realize is that if we go under the less money they will make eventually. SAD 

Message 72 of 166

Totally agree with you. Using Square since 2015 when it was brand new and a startup. 

Now I am being censored when I post a Twitter handle #squaredontcare. 

trying to highlight this issue with users so there can be some movement on this. otherwise only choice is to leave. The virus and CDC guidelines do not allow for this craziness.

In any case how does a digital machine care if there is a card swipe or numbers are input manually- processing is still the same...

Message 73 of 166
Beta Member

Yup. And when we implement online ordering, they up the transaction % AND the fee per swipe.  

I saw somewhere that the CEO of Square donated a bunch of money to a non -profit or something - taking ALL the credit. You're welcome .

Message 74 of 166

I have a small mom and pop pizzeria. we are down to delivery and curbside. CONTACTLESS .

we are TRYING to stay open, but we NEED YOUR HELP! Please lower the manual credit card fees. INVOICING will not work. I do not want to change to another Credit Card processing company..THEY ARE Marketing like crazy and taking advantage of those that need a lower fee for manual entry. I have been with square for 7 years. We have been loyal to Square. IT'S SQUARE turn now. PLEASE HELP

Message 75 of 166

We are in the same boat.  We have customers picking up cars outside and will be manually entering credit card numbers and leaving their receipts with their keys.  These fees are going to take it's toll on us small businesses.

Message 76 of 166

Hello,

All over the world we are being urged to socially distance ourselves because of the pandemic. One step we have been taking is to not physically touch other people's credit cards but rather we have been having them read their card numbers to us and have been manually entering that. Is Square taking a larger percentage out of our sales for exercising this social responsibility?

Message 77 of 166

We are a retail location. We now have a sign on our door asking customers to call us from their car to order. We ask that they use a credit card to avoid transferring cash. We then walk out to their car car to hand them the purchase. This has replaced our walk-in traffic, which means we are processing everything as "card not present"..... incurring the 3.75+10 Square rate. Has Square any intentions at all about waiving the extra processing cost for these transactions?

Message 78 of 166

Hey @Tom_Herman

I moved your post over to a board with similar information on what we have so far for supporting our sellers during COVID-19. 

Keep an eye out here are we update with more information. 

Kassi
Message 79 of 166

Due to COVID-19 challenges, small retail grocery businesses like mine are offering phone orders so we support the community by allowing people with health challenges stay home and still be able to put food on the table. Can big credit card processors reduce their added fees for manual credit card entry? We are not e-commerce or invoicing business, we serve elderly and families and not all have computer skills etc.

Tags (1)
Message 80 of 166

Hey @AVKGROC

I moved your post over to our board regarding fees and the Coronavirus. 

Kassi
Message 81 of 166

I am a therapist and my state is strongly encouraging telehealth during this pandemic. As a result, I have to manually enter credit card information. 
would it possible to continue to charge swipe rates?  Businesses are already taking a financial hit and this small accommodation would greatly help. 
thank you 

Message 82 of 166
Alumni

Thanks for voicing your concerns here @Tish12

Sorry to hear about your biz during this troubling time. Although we're continuously implementing ways to help our Sellers during the pandemic, we haven’t made changes to transaction fees right now.

We'll continue to update you all as we learn more. Swing over to our Resources page for what we're currently doing. 

Justin
Message 83 of 166

what little business I have coming in these higher fees are really hurting the situation even more.  I know Square is offering some fees wavied for for many of is this is nothing that can benefit us. I think offering an option for us to choose if we can take advange of waived fees of other stuff or the credit card fees.  Every day I look at my effective rate hurts more and more!! Come on Square step up!

Message 84 of 166