x

Will fees for manual entry be waived during COVID-19?

Here's a friendly suggestion from a long time Square user with multiple business locations: to help small businesses cope with the craziness of COVID-19 - waive the extra charges for manually entered credit cards, since we are (in many states) being forced to take payment over the phone versus swiping a card, therefore being forced to have higher fees!!!

Thank you for listening!

Message 1 of 166
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

We're here to provide whatever resources we're able to, @FifiFido. We’re continually evaluating all options to help our sellers as this situation evolves, however we haven’t made changes to transaction fees at this time. *For a comprehensive explanation of how Square processing fees work, have a look here: Understanding Our Fees | Square PaymentsOr this informative video!

In addition, we put together some Coronavirus resources available here in the Seller Community definitely let us know if any questions come up after taking a peek!

Have you considered using Square Invoices to accept payments, or taking payments online instead of manually entering card information in? You could also get started with your online store by taking a look at this article from our Support Center.

*This reply was edited by a moderator on August 26, 2020 to offer more visibility into Square's pricing.

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 5 of 166
165 REPLIES 165

FYI:  Important Information, particularly those in healthcare:

IvyPay is HIPPA compliant, they have a BAA,  and the app is free.  They charge 2.75% and take HSA cards as well as credit and debit cards. As opposed to Square charging a higher percentage plus and addition amount on top of percentage.  You never get the patient's card number.  You send them a link to enter their payment to you.

Message 106 of 166

I know I am feeling just like everyone else as I have read many of your posts.  Its nice for Square to waive some of the fees for those other parts.  But as I know many of you are in the same boat as me I do not use those services.  I am a small "one man band" essential business specialty grocery store.  I have no choice but to convent to an online store at this time. My sales are down over 50% & these higher fees are eating me alive.  My effective rate for the few orders I did get yesterday was 5.08% (because people are ordering a small amt of what they need 7 can afford). So I think maybe Square should allow us to pick do you want reduced fees or those other "free" options that they are offering.  Somehow let us choose what would benefit our business.  For me none of those offers matter.  Square please help us!!

Message 107 of 166

Maybe we need to start a petition or take it to Twitter.  (Can someone do that--I don't have Twitter.)   I can't wait much longer as I need to collect payment from patients this week.  I am all set up to use IvyPay but was hoping that Square would step up because I really like the reports I get from them.  

I've been loyal for about 5 years--so sad to say goodbye but the difference in fees makes a big difference for small businesses (and in some of our cases, sole proprietorships.)  

Message 108 of 166

I started using IvyPay A couple of days ago and I love it!

Message 109 of 166

Although its a nice gesture I can't use any of the services they are waiving charges for. What would help means out is some free processing fees. I have been told no but yet after speaking to another small business owner they for $2,000 free processing for each of her two businesses (same company but she has an account for brick and motor and another for shows). Can't you help all of us? Or let businesses choose which is the best for them? 

Message 110 of 166

A friend recommended I research Toast POS for my small restaurant business. I requested a quote from them. Stay tuned!

Message 111 of 166

[This reply was created from merging an existing thread by a moderator.]

How to contact someone about reducing the fees for taking cc over the phone.  We are trying to stay as far away and contactless as possible so this is about the only option.  But this is taking a large chunk of cash out of an already bad situation.  any ideas?

Message 112 of 166
Super Seller Alumni

Here's a link to a thread where this issue has been extensively discussed.  See the Best Answer in the thread for links to pages where Square's actions are laid out.

Judy T Shumway
Message 113 of 166

Toast POS or take cash only into a bag and wash the bills when you get home in the laundry. Square support is non-existent. I'm in the same boat.  I'd rather keep the full amount than give it to a company that turns its back on its bread and butter in a time of crisis.

Message 114 of 166

So, I got another email today that Square is waiving the subscription fees for Appointments again for April.  Thank you Square; HOWEVER, this is not helping the situation.  Because we have to manually enter the cc#'s or invoice I'm paying a higher fee.  In 4 days I've already paid that $50 in extra transaction fees x FOUR weeks that's $200!  C'mon guys!  I would MUCH rather pay the subscription fees and get some RELIEF on these transaction fees because we are FORCED to do business differently now!  

Message 115 of 166

The 6 feet apart from each other is very difficult when taking credit cards in person.

( we are a plumbing business )
Many of us are working out in the field are coming across customers that do not want to come close enough to swipe their card, so we're doing more manual transactions.
The fee's for doing manual are higher then swiping,  is there any talk about dropping those numbers so we don't get hit so hard with fees ?

Message 116 of 166
Alumni

Hi there @CoCoCountyDrain - glad to hear you and your customers are making efforts to practice social distancing during this time. 

This question has been surfaced a lot recently so I moved you to a relevant thread where the convo is happening, as it explains what we're currently doing to support our sellers during the pandemic. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 117 of 166

You sent me to a thread of other customers with the same concern.

How is this helping any of us ???

Message 118 of 166

Which is essentially NOTHING. How many of us have to tell you this?!

Message 119 of 166

You're sending people to this thread asking the same questions yet y'all give us the SAME generic answers (as usual) that you have NO intentions on listening to us and living fat on the hog while the rest of the little guys sit out here and struggle. OKAY??? Anyone care to start listing other comparable companies to Square that is actually TRYING to help their small business customers????  I'm ALL ears I'm so done with this!!! 

Message 120 of 166

Toast or Clover

Message 121 of 166

I have a call in to B of A who deals with Clover.

Message 122 of 166

Like so many others, I am a one man operation and just opened my doors a month ago (great timing, I know). While it's nice to see something being offered in the waiving of subscription fees, a large portion of business owners like myself get little to nothing out of this. The one single thing that can literally be beneficial for EVERY business is to waive or greatly diminish credit card processing fees, especially since so many are moving away from cash and having to do manual inputs. 

Square, it should not take this long to evaluate the benefits of this action and should be implemented sooner rather than later. It's clear this will continue for at least another month, so please help us out so we can actually keep going a little longer.

Message 123 of 166

We are all yelling this from the rooftops but square is choosing not to hear us.  What they are offer as many have said benefits not very many of us and I think they did that on purpose.  So it looks like they are helping but not to the majority.  Here is a cope of their shareholders statement found on Google.  So it appears they can afford to give us a little break us little guys all together pay their bills.  Come on Square.
 https://s21.q4cdn.com/114365585/files/doc_financials/2019/Q3/2019-Q3-Shareholder-Letter-Square.pdf

Message 124 of 166

Hi my question is during this hard economic time with Covid 19 why is square NOT helping with transaction fees, like all the major credit card companies and banks in Canada.

Message 125 of 166

Hi

Please lower the fees for manual card entry, I will not be back in the office anytime soon.

Message 126 of 166