x

order online and pay at pick up

Many of our customers prefer to pay when they pick up their items - probably 70% tap either debit or credit card and the rest cash. Can we allow them to place their order online and pay when they pick up? I've tried settings but can't see what was recommended elsewhere called 'open tickets' -- probably my limitation but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Square Community Moderator

Hi @garlic_goodness and welcome to the Community.

At this time, orders placed through your Square Online website must be paid for online. I've moved your post to an existing thread where this discussion is taking place, and where we're tracking requests for the ability to pay in person for online orders. 

The most common way that I've historically encountered businesses accepting cash payments for online orders are via invoices and/or phone orders. Have you considered offering a "phone-in" option through your Square Online website? This is likely the most tried and true method by which to accept cash payment for an order. I saw @BBTH's post here, and I thought up another workaround that would enable you to accept cash for pickup and delivery orders.

Workaround: You can add a banner to your main page letting your customers know that you are accepting cash payments:

I'd recommend adding a button to your banner here, as shown above "Call now to order".

This could take your customer to a couple of places:

• I recommend having this button link to your Contact page, as shown above. 
  • You can alternatively opt to include a Phone link in your button. Keep in mind, this link will direct your customer to the actual phone portion of their phone and automatically dial your phone number, so this will not work on a laptop or desktop computer.

Here's an example of how you could clarify how your customer are able to pay using cash:

Once you get a call - or email - placing an order, you can put the order into the Square Point of Sale app using the open tickets feature. You can accept the order as if it was in-person, and print or close the ticket at the time of delivery/pickup.

I'm marking this reply as the Best Answer to help other sellers find this post and share their interest in this feature. I hope that this workaround helps a few businesses in this thread! ๐Ÿ˜Š

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 4

I appreciate your answer but am pretty unhappy with it! The online store doesn't work that well for us without the option to pay when picked up. Please, Square, allow us to have some items tagged as 'pay when picked up' and then people can tap when they arrive -- and we'll get notice of the order from Square. If they have to phone us what's the point of the online store? We manually enter the same thing they could enter by seeing it on the store -- seems a bit backward tbh.

Message 3 of 4

Deal breaker for my Chicken Shack. We focus on delivery, nice to see Shipday integration but without cash payment option I'll have to stick with cloudwaitress for now. I get wanting to push the processing but as a restaurant we have to heed to the customers wants and needs.

Message 4 of 4