x

why can't Square print from an AirPrint compatible device?

I rarely need to issue a hard copy receipt but when I do, I don't understand why Square doesn't let me print from my ipad's Airprint compatible printer? Is it that they want to sell me a square printer for the 4 times a year I'm asked to print a receipt and this is why they don't interface with airprint devices? This would be an easy fix for a developer to make. Not user-friendly at all.

Or have things changed and can I print from an airprint compatible device? It is not bluetooth but plenty of my apps on my ipad print from it.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, 

Unfortunately the only way you can print a hard copy receipt directly from the Point of Sale app is with a compatible receipt printer. 

This is the first request I've come across that mentions using the AirPrint function from an iPad, so it's definitely a feature request that our Product Team would be interested in looking into. I'll be sure to pass this over to them. 

One workaround that comes to mind would be to take a screenshot of the receipt from your iPad, then print the photo of the receipt to your AirPrint device. 

I haven't tried this myself, but it should work in theory. Hopefully another seller can chime in with their own process for this specific use case. 

Message 2 of 8

Pay Anywhere allows me to print via airprint from my iphone, this is a MUST HAVE! I hope you will enable this function soon as I cannot use Square when I need a printed receipt of the transaction. 😞

Message 3 of 8

I agree. I need this feature as well. I'm trying to switch away from PayPal but need to print receipts to a real printer. MUST HAVE FEATURE

Message 4 of 8
Beta Member

I agree. I would love to be able to print via my ipad to my printer when my customers ask for a hard receipt. Or even to have online orders print directly to my printer when they come in. I need them to print on a full sheet of paper and I don't think square has a option for a full size printer. 

Message 5 of 8
Beta Member

Being able to AirPrint orders from my device would be a game changer. Now I do a screen grab, airdrop it to my mac and then print. Sometimes it slows me down in order fulfillment because I'm on the run to my next show.

Message 6 of 8
Beta Member

Have to agree, the ability to print to another printer would be great - we do have a receipt printer which works fine however, it would be nice to have a backup device - after all things only break when you need them 🙂

Message 7 of 8

As much as I want to be paperless, I REALLY need this function as well. Come on, SQUARE! 

Message 8 of 8