x
Super Seller

Can Square Stand or Register hardware connect to internet by wire (*not* wireless)?

We are in a building where there are a ridiculous number of wireless networks - it's getting a bit crazy, to be honest, and we've been getting errors from our router about signal issues.

Is it possible to connect my Square Stand to the network using a cable?  We currently use the iPad Point-of-Sale stand but I'd upgrade to the Square Register if it helps - but neither of them seem to show this option.

Is there any Square payment hardware that is able to connect to a network by wire?

Michael
New Light Photography | SUB Photo | Square fan
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Square Community Moderator

Hello @Michael_L ,

Thank you for reaching out, sorry to hear you are continuing to have wifi issues. The Square Register and Square Terminal/ hub ( unlike the register with the terminal you do purchase the hub additionally) will allow you to connect to the network via ethernet. I would like to get more insight into setup, you said there are numerous networks, do you guys have your own secure network? 

Message 2 of 4
Super Seller

Hi Maya, yes we do have our own secure private network.  We are in a building with many tenants though (on a university campus) so the wireless network traffic is very busy and I was hoping to connect to our private internet connection with a cable - which should be more reliable.

It's not that our own connection is insecure or very busy, it's that there's a lot of others and the wifi channels are giving us errors about the number of signals.  It's a very unusual issue.

Michael
New Light Photography | SUB Photo | Square fan
Message 3 of 4
Square Community Moderator

Hey @Michael_L jumping in for @MayaP while she is out of the office. 

Yes in that case then the Square Register will be the best solution for your needs. Something to keep in mind is that the Square Register doesn't include a built-in Web Browser as the iPad does. I mention this in case your connection requires Browser Validation in order to provide internet access.

I hope this information is helpful!

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 4