x

My website charges the incorrect sales tax.

Yesterday I uploaded my website. Today I went to check it and found an error in the sales tax rate, which I corrected. Sales tax is supposed to be 8.25%, but the website charges 10%. How do I correct that?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Admin

Hey @tuckertexas! Sounds like you'll want to check your tax settings on your Dashboard. Take a look at this support article that talks about where you can go within your Dashboard to set your correct tax rate.

Feel free to come back with any questions you might have!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 2 of 6

Thanks.  I figured it out. Many things are set up automatically that I thought I had to do myself.

Message 3 of 6

The title of this post has been changed by a moderator from its original: "Tax rate set at 7% in Square and in Online store but square applies 8% at checkout"

Tax rate set at 7% in Square and in Online store but square applies 8% at checkout for online store customers.   Customers who purchase at the store are correctly charged 7%.  The taxes are State taxes, there is no US tax set.

Message 4 of 6
Admin

Hi @richww- Thanks for your post.

Have a look at the article I shared here to make sure your taxes are set up correctly. 

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 5 of 6

I'd already set up the taxes as per the guide you referred me to.  Everything works fine when customers come into the cafe and make a purchase.

The problem arises when customers purchase items through our online store (we use the Square / Weebly store).  The tax rate is inflated by 1%.

(I've got around this by lowering the standard tax that is charged - but clearly something is wrong here)

It acts as if the country rate is set to 1% - when it clearly shows as 0.  Would use "instead of" for the State Tax setting be a better choice - then it would ignore whatever is in the COuntry tax setting (currently 0)

Message 6 of 6