x
Square
[Migration Required] KDS Sellers Must Switch to Android

Hi Sellers, 👋

This is a reminder that Square KDS on iOS is being retired. As of June 28, 2024, you will no longer be able to view or complete order tickets on the iOS app. If you use our kitchen display system on an iPad, please begin your move to Android. 

How to move forward:

Hear how migration is going for other Square KDS customers:

"We have 21 active KDS devices at two different restaurant locations in Ithaca, NY. We were on iPads before, and had no issues at all moving over to Android. The transition was smooth as silk and we're loving the fact that there are so many new features!"

- Kevin Sullivan, Founder of ITH Hospitality

“We found transitioning from the iPad app to the Android app to be very smooth. All the features that I knew from iPad - those were now on my Android device. And then from there, we ended up getting new capabilities over time to help our kitchen staff to operate more efficiently.”

- Director of Marketing & IT at Lafrance Hospitality

See Android devices in action

Share your migration feedback with our team!

Get Started with Android KDS today. 

Reasons to Move to Square KDS on Android:

Stay on the Same App Experience You’re Already Using

No onboarding with a new partner, dealing with different support, or re-training your staff. You’ll experience the same app, just enhanced with new feature options.

Help Your Staff Stop Squinting with Larger Screen Options

Get brand-new flexibility to see larger tickets and more at once — something a small iPad screen cannot offer. 

Save on Long-Term Hardware Replacement Costs

Our 10” Android device is $199 versus $329 for an iPad. Once the day comes that you need to replace the device(s) currently in your kitchen, you will save $130 per device. >> Purchase a 10” Android Device Today with Free Shipping

“We moved from iPads to Android devices quickly, because we did not want to forget the sunset date. The whole process has been seamless for our bartenders, servers, and kitchen staff— no need to retrain, and our team appreciates the same app experience. We swapped 9 devices across two locations in just a few days, and we’ve been able to reduce our quantity of active KDS devices with the larger screen option.”

Pavel Sirotin, CEO of Bevri

Want more information on Square KDS on Android? 

Check out our Help Center overview for more information. And feel free to contact our team with any questions by emailing support@squareup.com

Committed to staying on your iPad? 

We are happy to announce that we have selected Fresh KDS as our preferred partner if you wish to stay on iOS for your kitchen display system. 

• White glove onboarding with a 1:1 setup call
  • 24/7 support
  • 2 months free of all Fresh KDS’s pricing tiers and honoring of annual rates for monthly subscriptions

Contact Fresh KDS.

FAQs:

What iPad models can the Fresh KDS app be installed and used on? 

Any iPad with iOS 13 or above. 

Where can I see a list of all of Fresh KDS features? 

We recommend that you visit Fresh KDS’s pricing page and click to “View All Plan Features” to see what comes with each plan. 

What features would I gain? Are there any limitations to be aware of?

Your experience with Fresh KDS will be mostly the same features as Square KDS, just with a different user experience. So once you activate your Fresh KDS account and get your team trained on using a new app on your iPad(s), you can expect to see the same product functionality, with the exception of 86-ing items from your KDS screen. For new features on Fresh KDS that you do not currently have with Square KDS, you can expect to see bump bar support, customized SMS notifications, and text responses to the kitchen to notify of a customer’s arrival. If you are ever unsure of what platform is the best fit for you, please contact your Square account manager or reach out to our team at support@squareup.com

What does Fresh KDS cost? 

Fresh KDS has three pricing tiers and is offering 2 months free (and an honoring of annual rates for monthly plans) for Square customers who want to keep their iPad and transition over. With the two months free, you would provide your credit card information upfront and not be billed until 60 days later. Also, you should be aware that if you have five or more active devices, you will need to purchase the Unlimited plan which is billed at $109/month/location (paid annually) or $89/month (paid monthly) for an unlimited device count. 

How fast does Fresh KDS typically onboard new sellers? 

Fresh KDS can onboard sellers same-day, in as fast as 15-30 minutes. Learn more here. Additionally, as part of our preferred partnership, Fresh KDS is offering Square KDS ipad users an added layer of support with dedicated onboarding calls, if desired. 

What would migration to Fresh KDS look like? Would I have to set up my own devices? 

While you have the option to do self-setup if you prefer it, as part of this preferred partnership, you also have access to a personalized, 1:1 onboarding call with a Fresh KDS team member. Once you are ready to connect with Fresh KDS, please fill out this form to kick off the process. 

What level of support does Fresh KDS provide to customers?

Fresh KDS provides 24/7/365 support via chat as well as on-demand call booking through chat for English-speaking customers. They also have an extensive help center

What languages does Fresh KDS support?

The Fresh KDS app supports English, French, Spanish, and German and applies to app settings as well as on-screen order cards. Language localization is defaulted as the system language, but can be changed. When it comes to order cards, the information displayed can be in any language that Square POS sends. This includes languages with special characters. 

What countries does Fresh KDS support?

The Fresh KDS mobile app is supported in all countries, with native language support in English, German, French, and Spanish. The app will default to the language set on a device. The team is also adding new language support with future enhancements. 

What orders can I expect to see come through to a Fresh KDS screen? 

All of your orders that currently come through to your Square POS and show on your Square KDS screen. 

Should I be aware of any support differences if I choose to go to Fresh KDS? 

The 24/7/365 support offered by Fresh KDS is chat-based and English-only, with the ability to book a call from there. If you currently use Square KDS as a RST Plus subscriber, this will be different from the call-in support you are used to. If you use Square KDS as part of a KDS Standalone product at $20/month, this will be an added level of support for you. 

I have more than one iPad on Square KDS. How can Fresh KDS help with my migration? 

If you are determined to stay on your iPad, the Fresh KDS team is committed to walking you through migration and making this process as seamless as possible. Contact them here

I have more than one location. Can you walk me through the onboarding process?

Fresh KDS is set up by location, so each of yours can be set up and managed independently without issue. Reporting and analytics are also available by site. Learn more here.

I want to learn more about Fresh KDS. How can I get a demo and talk to their team? 

Great! You can connect with the Fresh KDS team here.

I’m interested in moving forward. What are the next steps and how do I get started? 

Please fill out your information here.

3 Comments