x
Admin

Do your customers use contactless cards or contactless payment methods? ๐Ÿ’ณ

With the increase of contactless payments, and the launch of Tap to Pay on iPhone in the US, and we'd like to know:

Do your customers use contactless cards or contactless payment methods yet? ๐Ÿ’ณ

Are your customers aware they have contactless cards? Have you noticed any trends?

At this time Tap to Pay on iPhone is only available in the US. Subscribe to Product Updates (Seller Community homepage > Help) or join the Beta Community to be the first to hear about new features.

๏œ๏ธ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 1 of 49
48 REPLIES 48

Hi @Helen ...

Respectfully, Canada is years ahead on this as it related to "in person transactions" using Square Register, Terminal etc.. We have a small cafe and the majority of our transactions (easily 80%+) are contactless using cards, phones and watches for both credit cards and debit transactions. I think this feature would be an easy enhancement for merchants using the Square POS on Apple devices here in Canada

Cheers

Message 2 of 49
Admin

I have always found that so funny - that CA is so far ahead. I remember years ago when i was a waitress in a resort town (Whistler, BC) all of the American guests were mind-blown that they didn't have to get up from their seat to pay on card haha 

I agree @PURPLEPENGUINCA it will be very nice when Tap to Pay on iphone (and other mobile devices) payment is available in Canada!

๏œ๏ธ Hailey
Seller Community Marketing Manager
Square Seller Community
Message 3 of 49

Yeah, we have two POS stations each with a Square Terminal paired and everyone who's card will, taps to pay.

Message 4 of 49
Admin

Thanks @OldCoder! Do many or any of your customers use their phones to pay? I can't seem to break the habit of reaching for my wallet to pay for something, even though I could pay with a phone.

๏œ๏ธ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 5 of 49

One guy, One time.

Message 6 of 49
Square Champion

@Helen In my case, 84% use their iPhone or tap 16% use the chip. iPhone usage is greater than tapping the card but Square does not break that down, that is too bad.

Renรฉ

Life is too short to eat boring cheese.
Message 7 of 49
Super Seller Alumni

Maaan, I remember living in the US briefly and was mildly amused at having to dip my card and sign for everything. It just feels like we've been able to use contactless payments forever in Australia. I'm glad it's becoming more common in the US! My running theory is that customers tend to spend more since it's less tangible compared to actual cash...

Message 8 of 49

I do not want to take tap on my iphone and cannot find a way to get rid of this prompt that continually shows on my phone. I have an iphone there is NO phone jacks for using square readers.  

Message 9 of 49
Square Champion

Using the swipe readers opens you up to a large amount of chargebacks were you have no recourse.

The Tap Chip reader and Tap To Pay does not have that issue

Renรฉ

Message 10 of 49

no

Message 11 of 49
Square Champion

The majority of our customers use Tap To Pay. I think it is faster especially with the new Square stand. We work fairs and have a lot of  mobility scooters which can be a nightmare. Since the tap to pay function is now available on our iphones, we ring the items up on the square stand, then save the ticket. We then take our iphone out to the scooter and just pull up that ticket for them to pay. This keeps the scooters out of the booth.

Message 12 of 49
Square Champion

Last Sunday I tried to use Tap To Pay with everyone. But the issue is if the phone has not been used for several minutes the Tap To Pay app says "Please reboot the iPhone" I then just forced closed the square app and opened it that's when it reconnected to Tap to Pay

Renรฉ

Message 13 of 49
Square Champion

the vast majority use contactless. 

Luke Nieuwland
Owner/Operator
https://www.whiskyrun.com/
Co-Founder
https://www.lakeeffect.ca/
Message 14 of 49
Beta Member

what are you guys talking about? in America we've had tap to pay for ages  its just Square pay needs to get it as well as other things

Message 15 of 49

Our plant nursery customers (near Dallas/Fort Worth) love the contact less Apple Pay/GooglePay/Venmo/Zelle options we offer. We don't use PayPal because our account was hacked and we don't consider it secure. They also love the tap feature for credit cards.

Kimberly Miller

Owner at Grow Wild Greenery

Message 16 of 49

Majority of my clients never asked but once Square offered this option people love it! 

Message 17 of 49

Yes 

Message 18 of 49

Customers who shop at our plant nurseries in the Dallas/Fort Worth area adore the contactless Apple Pay, GooglePay, Venmo, and Zelle alternatives we provide. Since our account was stolen and we don't think PayPal is secure, we don't utilise it. They particularly adore the credit card tap feature.

Message 19 of 49
Square Champion

@LloydForsyt Did you know Paypal also owns Venmo? Venmo is not that secure either.

We use the Square Cash App instead of Venmo.

Renรฉ

Message 20 of 49

Most customers use Apple Pay. Or swipe Card use cash app

Message 21 of 49