x
Admin

What are the benefits of owning your own business? ⭐️

Hey Seller Community! We hope you all are having a fabulous week 💕

Today we're wondering...

What are the benefits of owning your own business?

What stands out to you the most? What are the benefits no one talks about? What benefit keeps you as a business owner rather than employed by someone else? 

We look forward to reading your replies! 🌟

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
Super Seller Alumni

Being in control (to a degree, at least) of you work life. When I take time off, what hours I work, what projects I decide to take on, etc. are all in my control. And autonomy is basically synonymous with freedom, right? Freedom is the goal! 

The other big benefit is being able to use your business to have a positive impact on the world. Whether that's donating to worthy non-profit organizations, creating your program, or something else.

And finally, collaborating with other small business owners! You get to meet so many creative, wonderful people. The community (locally and online) is a big perk!

Emily ( she / her )
The Violet Fox Bookshop
https://thevioletfoxbookshop.square.site
Message 22 of 30
Super Seller

Yes to collaboration! We have created this awesome little community in our neighborhood and the other businesses around here feed off of each other. We now have a 6x a year market, a pickelball tournament, Easter and Holiday walks, Thirsty Thursdays and Ladies Nights Out and so much more. Its so fun to see how far we have come in just the 8 years that we have been a part of the business community here. 

Abby
Owner, Abigail's Gift Boutique and Abigail's Boutique St. Louis, MO
https://www.facebook.com/abigailsgiftboutique
https://www.instagram.com/abigails_stl/
Message 23 of 30
Super Seller

You know - the world talks about pay for performance all the time. What is your time worth, how much should you be making, are you valued enough with your employment package, possibilities to discuss and wonder about the 'value of you' go on and on. Owning your own business may be the epitome of pay for performance while you play out the balancing act of self, versus others. You make the choices that establish the future of what you and the things you influence will become. Choose a path and your performance will show you if it was the best choice. For me, I still live in two worlds, I have a full-time job where I regularly challenge those around me to actively create better environments to help themselves, the company, and others thrive. I love it, almost every day. I also own two businesses where I get to challenge others to break ceilings they have placed themselves or others have placed and they chose to believe existed. Owning a business puts us in a place to empower others to find a better version of themselves through the thing we are passionate about. Sometimes it allows us to push that same person out of the nest toward something they are passionate about, then start the process all over again. I recognize my approach is different than most. I am mostly in business for the benefit of others, don't get me wrong, I get lots of benefits it's just that most of them aren't green. I often don't make the best business decision but make the one best for someone else (at least I hope). This is possible because I work against the grain of many entrepreneurs by continuing to make my living at a job that allows me enough comforts to make it possible to offer something (on a smaller scale) to others in hopes they will find value in healthy work with purpose that leads to fulfillment and joy they can share for the benefit of others.

Take care of yourself and, as life provides, someone else too.
Message 24 of 30

Hello! Late response but here it is. I enjoy the benefit of not having to need permission, accrued time or personal time off for emergencies, slow production days where you have to "look busy" on the job. I listen to my husband when he comes home from work and sometimes I want to scream...grown people acting like high school and people who are in leadership positions but are not leaders. I enjoy the times when I can get excited about my business and realize what a gift it is and treasure it is to me, and the work I do is not devalued by management.

Message 25 of 30

Unlimited Satisfaction!

Message 26 of 30
Super Seller

I think the best part of owning a business is the time you get to meet new customers, and talk to them and see what they are interested in for the future from my business.  It is also great that when my son has something to do or wants to do, I can plan for these events and not have to worry if I can get that day off or get out early.  I work with my partner and we get it done!  I also like that I can make my own hours.  I drop my son off at school and head to my business, I get in at 7:30 am and have time to get things done before the store opens at 10 am.  Then in the afternoon if it is slow and I am done for the day I can leave.  I do not have to watch the clock and wait to punch out at a certain time.  That last minute of the day waiting at the punch clock in a factory was always the longest minute of the day.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 27 of 30
Super Seller

When I first started my own business I had opinions coming from every direction. Are you sure that is going to work?  Will people want to buy your product?  How will you manage it when you also have a full time regular job?  Those were all questions that people asked me. The great thing about having your own business is you are the decision maker. No one is going to know what you are capable of better than yourself. Thank goodness I did not let any of those questions discourage me. I work in the corporate world as well as have my own business. By having my own business I have the flexibility to operate in a way that best meets the needs of multiple things. No one has to approve ideas and I don't have to do any sort of presentation to convince others of a better way of doing things. Don't get me wrong I love constructive feedback! Even though I have my own business I take feedback very seriously and value it when making decisions. 

When you are employed by someone else the below things come into play and some companies are not as flexible as others. 

- clock in or clock out 

- attendance policy

-  dress code

-  set hours 

- training's that you have to do to check the box

There are positives about both sides and I am more than happy to help answer other questions if there are specific things you are curious about. 

Message 28 of 30
Super Seller

Owning your own business definitely has its challenges, but after being fully self-employed for the past 4+ years, I truly can't imagine going back to work for someone else. For me, some of the benefits that stand out are:

> Flexibility to work my schedule around my family's needs. I have a 3-year-old son, and I am so thankful that I can work full-time, but still get to be at home with him most days.

> Connecting, and investing in, the people around me. Sometimes my most important work is just chatting with customers, making them feel seen and welcomed, and I love that.

> Never a dull moment -- no two days are ever the same. I have learned SO much in the past for years, and every time I overcome a challenge, there's a new one right behind it. It's exhausting, for sure, but never boring, and I am so thankful for that.

Michelle Savage
Co-Founder & President
Savage Goods | @savagegoods | savagegoods.com
Message 29 of 30
Super Seller

I’ve been blessed to work with some amazing brands throughout my career but as a business owner I’m able to create even more meaningful impact in my industry and create a legacy that will live beyond me!

Message 30 of 30