x

CUSTOM AMOUNT

My custom amount it charges for 2 Type of Tax options every sale. I have to manually delete one of the tax options. How can I can I change this?

Message 1 of 6
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

The custom amount will automatically pull every available tax rate to it, and I don't believe there's a way to turn it off. Custom amounts are good for that random one-off thing that gets rung up versus day to day sales.

Instead of custom amounts, I recommend setting up variable priced items. Your reporting will be a lot nicer this way, too, because you can track items and categories versus just having a generic custom amount sale.

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Super Seller

Best Answer

The custom amount will automatically pull every available tax rate to it, and I don't believe there's a way to turn it off. Custom amounts are good for that random one-off thing that gets rung up versus day to day sales.

Instead of custom amounts, I recommend setting up variable priced items. Your reporting will be a lot nicer this way, too, because you can track items and categories versus just having a generic custom amount sale.

Ryan Wanner

Happy Selling!
Message 2 of 6

Can custom amount be turned off?

Message 3 of 6
Super Seller

Hi @lisajohnson 

Unfortunately the Custom Amount button can't be turned off. I've been banging on Square for a while to make this happen..... 😐

Ryan Wanner

Happy Selling!
Message 4 of 6

In the new UI for the POS, Custom Amount or Keypad should not be the first in the list of categories for Square for iPad or for the Square Register. The recent change to the UI puts the Keypad first and now our clerks hit Keypad by mistake and enter a sales item as Custom Amount. We need the clerks to select the item first before entering the amount. We really need the ability to turn off Custom Amount, as there is insufficient information on the sale. I have "reverted to the previous experience" in Settings, but I get a warning that this is only a temporary change. I sincerely hope that the new UI is changed to put Keypad and Library last or include the option to turn off or passcode protect Custom Amount.

Message 5 of 6
Square Community Moderator

Hi @gallery55art,

Thank you for writing in and sharing this feedback regarding the new POS UI. I'll share this, and the suggestion about custom amounts to the team. For now reverting to the previous experience, like you've already done, would be the workaround. Apologies for the hassle here, and thanks again for raising this suggestion 🙂 

Message 6 of 6