x

Can I create a custom report that links fees to category or individual charges?

Trying to get our fees broken down by category

Message 1 of 30
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

No problem @SAC1! Here's how to add category sales to a custom report:

1. Sign in to your online Square Dashboard and navigate to the Reports section.
  2. From the menu on the left select Custom Reports > then click Create New Report in the top right. 
  3. Enter a name for your report (if you don't, the title of the report will default to 'My Report).
  4. Scroll down and click Add Report
  5. Click Category Sales > use Filter/Display By/Edit Colums to make any changes.
  6. If you'd like to remove the Sales Summary from this custom report click the X in on the right-hand side of the Sales Summary section.
  7. Click Save Report (top right) to save your changes.

Once you've set up your report it will look something like this! You can use the filters at the top to change the date range / time / location. If you need to make changes to your report click Edit.

Hope this helps! 🙂

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 11 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
Square

Great question! Though we do offer a range of reports and the ability to build your own advanced reports, we don't have a report that will separate your fees by category sales.

So I can get a better understanding, mind sharing a little bit on how this particular report would be used?

Message 2 of 30

Sorry to bump an old thread, but this is the only one I found that matched my question.

We code our sales and expenses to different departments within our accounting software, and we want to split up our fee expenses proportionately between those departments. That way we can analyze true net profit by department.

Has there been an update to this since 2016?

Message 3 of 30
Admin

@indyfestival No updates on this request this time I'm afraid but I'll share this post with our Reporting team.

In the meantime, if each department at your organization is set up as a different location, or if specific employees from each department are taking payments, you might find the Transactions CSV report helpful. That report has a column for Fees assessed per transaction, and it can be sorted by Location, Staff (or even device). To view this report:

1. Sign into your online Square Dashboard.
  2. Click Sales > then click Transactions.
  3. Click Export and select Transactions CSV. When the report has been downloaded your computer you can open it with a program like Excel.

I hope this helps!

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 4 of 30

Thank you for the response! We'll see if that suits our need.

Message 5 of 30

I would like to get a detailed report on sales by category that shows fees. Currently I can get a detailed report with total gross/net sales, but it is NOT by category and does NOT show fees. I can't seem to find anywhere on support center. Thanks, Steve.

Message 6 of 30
Admin

@TBCS I'm afraid that we don't have a report that includes both categories and Square's processing fees. Can you reply here to let us know a bit more about your business and why this is important? Our Reporting team is always looking for ways to improve so any additional context would help them to priortize what to build next! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 7 of 30

Is it possible to create a custom report that is more or less the same as the default Sales Summary report, but all of the line items in the SALES section are broken out by category? I own a bakery and am redoing all of my bookkeeping practices, so being able to run a daily report that shows sales, comps/discounts, and taxes by category (food, beverages, etc.) while also showing other pertinent information captured in the Sales Summary report is what I need.

Thanks!

Message 8 of 30
Admin

Hello @UCinDC! You can build a custom report and include Category Sales (and/or Item Sales), Comps, Voids and Taxes. Have you tried adding these sections to a report from the Custom Report section of your Dashboard? 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 9 of 30

Can you give detailed instructions to add category sales to a custom report.  that is exactly what i want to do but don't see that as an option

Message 10 of 30
Admin

Best Answer

No problem @SAC1! Here's how to add category sales to a custom report:

1. Sign in to your online Square Dashboard and navigate to the Reports section.
  2. From the menu on the left select Custom Reports > then click Create New Report in the top right. 
  3. Enter a name for your report (if you don't, the title of the report will default to 'My Report).
  4. Scroll down and click Add Report
  5. Click Category Sales > use Filter/Display By/Edit Colums to make any changes.
  6. If you'd like to remove the Sales Summary from this custom report click the X in on the right-hand side of the Sales Summary section.
  7. Click Save Report (top right) to save your changes.

Once you've set up your report it will look something like this! You can use the filters at the top to change the date range / time / location. If you need to make changes to your report click Edit.

Hope this helps! 🙂

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 11 of 30

this didn't help it doesn't show the square fees associated to the category sales

Message 12 of 30
Square Community Moderator

Hey @treasurerwahoc,

Thanks for being a member of the Community.

Have you had a chance to check out Helen's best answer here? If you have, please also check out JJ's recent response on submitting a feature request.

If I can help you with anything else, please let me know.

Message 13 of 30

I would also be interested in a fees by category report. 

Some of the items I sell, I sell in partnership with another business, and we have a very hard time trying to sort out the shared fees because it's on a per transaction basis, not a total cc sales basis. We'd have to mine the entire report for how many items per transaction are relevant in order to properly assess the total fees. 

It's really frustrating. 

Message 14 of 30
Admin

Hi again @amandastapes and thanks again! 

Have you tried exporting the Transaciton Details CSV from the Transactions section of your Dashboard? There is a column called 'Description' which includes the name of the item(s) sold, and it has a column for fees too. I hope that helps in the meantime! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 15 of 30

Yes, thank you. 

It just requires sifting through every single transaction, of hundreds, to see which items appear. 

Thanks, though. 

Message 16 of 30

Bumping this question AGAIN. Our company is a collaboration of 4 different companies selling goods under one storefront. Twice a month we need to calculate the fees associated with each transaction to calculate payout amounts to the different companies. Has there been any progress in creating this feature?

Message 17 of 30
Alumni

Hi @DOKWorldInc - Unfortunately, there is nothing to share on this front at this time. Have you tried Helen's suggestion of setting up each company as its own location? Doing so will keep all information including reporting separate for each. You would just need to make sure you are signed into the correct location within the app when are you checking customers out.

If you don't want to set up individual locations, it sounds like the workarounds in this thread may be a better option.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 18 of 30

Bumping this thread again.... seems there is a large need for a report that shows fees by category.   In my business I need to account for our deposit by categories. We run horse shows, so in Quickbooks I split the reports to Entry Fees, Stalls, RV Hookups, etc.  However, I need to be able to deduct the fees per category to get an accurate representation of our actual income PER CATEGORY. I tried the Transaction CSV but some people paid for multiple items/multiple categories with a single transaction, so it's left me with a "best guess" on what fees are for each category. I recently migrated from Stripe to Square, and Stripe had this ability....

Message 19 of 30

I agree! This is a need for us as well in order to see what our fees per category are. 

Message 20 of 30

Bumping this.

The Balance Transfer report used to let me see my fees by category (that was as of last August), but the report has been so simplified as to be useless.

We are a nonprofit organization, and need to be able to track income and fees by category for our budget. 

There is a report with fees per transaction, but a transaction may include multiple items for multiple categories.
There is a report with transactions by category, but no fees.

Message 21 of 30