x

Can a closed drawer session be edited?

We closed an active drawer with a mistake in the "actual amount in drawer" item.  Actually, the Square app froze and closed it out with the incorrect amount entered, but anyhow, can a closed drawer be edited to show the correct amount in "actual amount in drawer" item?

Message 1 of 89
1 Best Answer

Best Answer

Hello @906_Vapor, welcome to the Seller Community! 

I'm just popping in to confirm that @jjgard is correct. Once a cash drawer report is closed you will not be able to edit it. This is currently a feature request. I will make sure to share this post with our product team!  

Please let me know if either of you have improvements you would like to suggest! We love hearing from our Sellers. 

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 89
88 REPLIES 88
Beta Member

I would like to echo this request for the ability to edit a closed Drawer for fixing errors. It appears that the Drawer option was an add on and not thought to be an integrated part of the sales process. I understand given the origin (and focus) of Square is credit card processing but the use of Square is clearly beyond that as a POS and handling cash needs to be better integrated. Another request that I think should be considered is automatically tracking tips and allowing those to be automatically deducted from the cash in the Drawer. I would suspect that most businesses take cash out of the drawer for the tips and having to manually adjust the Drawer with a Paid Out is just another point of potential errors.

Message 43 of 89
Admin

@vhovar

There are definitely improvements to be made to the Drawer reporting and we can definitely see how this should be addressed. Thank you for iterating, and we'll be sure to pass this to our development team.

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 44 of 89

I would like to agree with the last two posts in this thread. There is always a potential for mistakes and human error and not being able to fix those on my own numbers is very frustrating. Looks like the first post to this thread was over 2 years ago and nothing has changed...

Message 45 of 89
Square Community Moderator

Hi @OSC1! Thank you so much for the feedback. We will be sure to forward this on to our Product Team. 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 46 of 89

Hi there,

I need to edit a closed drawer.  Staff made a typo in the actual amount in drawer.

We need a solution for this.

Message 47 of 89
Beta Member

I would also like to add that I see the Cash Drawer does not account for Checks as a form of payment. While I understand that the Cash Drawer was initially intended just to manage the cash payments it has clearly grown beyond that and is being used as a method to manage your actual Cash Drawer. Given this, payments in the form of Checks should be accounted for in the Cash Drawer. You treat Checks just like you do cash from the standpoint of processing the Cash Drawer and creating manual deposits to the bank. I know there is another thread that addressed this but I would like to ask that this be considered as an improvement to the Cash Drawer management.

Message 48 of 89
Beta Member

I think it mayhave something to do with the IRS and people deleting/adjusting sales. I have numerous occasions of employees obliterating my end of day reports and no way to fix it. 

Message 49 of 89
Beta Member

Easily solved with a restriction on who can access this function. should only be for the owner, general manager to perform. It's much worse to have to work around this missing function in reporting for IRS needs.

Message 50 of 89

I would like to be able to stop a cash drawer without having to count the cash and input the amount immediately.  I'll give an example to explain why, but basically I just don't want to count my money in front of customers and while a cashier is doing their job.

I have one terminal.  When I end my shift, and another person is coming to relieve my shift, I have to take out all the cash from the cash drawer (including change) and the new team member has to bring their own change (float) and start a new cash drawer.  Right now when I end a drawer I have to input the actual amount I count, and while I'm counting and getting ready to end my drawer no one can use the terminal.  It is super inconvenient for me to have to count all the money and input it into Square when my replacement is trying to enter in orders.  Any orders they take while my cash drawer is still open will be coming out of money that I am in the process of counting (needless to say that will cause problems).  Basically right now I can't accept cash transactions when there is a shift change.

If I could stop the drawer, and the new team member can start a new one, they can put their float into the register and start taking orders without having to worry about what I'm doing.  Then when I'm done I can go back to the drawer and enter the amount I counted (actual amount).

Alternative solution:

Is it possible to reopen a drawer?  If it is, that will sort of solve my problem because I could end the drawer with 0 and then after I've counted I can reopen it, adjust the real amount, and end it.

Tags (1)
Message 51 of 89

Thank you so much for sharing! I will keep bubbling your feedback up to our development team. 🙂

AshleyK
Message 52 of 89

Thank you, so I take it by your response that there is no way to reopen a drawer right?  Like what if I end the drawer but made a mistake?

Message 53 of 89

@manousheh there is not a way to edit the report once it has been closed. You can email or print the report to yourself and write a note for your personal files that there was a mistake, but our system itself will not let you do that. 

AshleyK
Message 54 of 89

It would be great if at least an admin could reopen a drawer for the same day.  Please submit this as a feature request.  Anything that goes into the system will be synchronized with our accounting systems, if there is a way for us to make sure that our POS is accurate it would be better than having to manually enter into the accounting system and change it, and then have the POS and accounting system with different data.

Message 55 of 89

I hear you! I've moved this thread into another one where other sellers have been asking for the same feature(s). Let me know if you have any other questions. 🙂

AshleyK
Message 56 of 89

You can temporarily close a drawer by NOT putting an amount and then ending the drawer. It will print out a ticket with the actual and difference lines blank. 

After you are done with counting the drawer you can go back to Reports > Drawer History and find the drawer. You can enter the information and click save. 

Message 57 of 89

@White-Wolf Wait, really, that works?  I'll give it a try tomorrow!  But can you tell me something, can I open another drawer in the meantime?

I have one cash drawer, but two trays.  When I change shift, I want the person who takes over mine to bring his own tray with his own change float, and then I take my tray and count it in the office.  While thats happening, I'd like the new cashier to be able to take cash transactions but not affect my drawer.  Then when I'm done counting I login to Square and enter my actual drawer count (end drawer for real), not affecting the new cashiers drawer.  Would that work?  The alternative would be to not take cash transactions until I finish my count and enter the actual amount in Square.

Message 58 of 89

Yes, you can start a new drawer before you finalize the first one. Ultimately you can have as many open drawers as you want. 

Message 59 of 89

This is such an important feature how can this not be added, I guess we don't need it, because no one makes mistakes. 

Message 60 of 89

How in the heck could this not be possible years later? I recently switched to square and we did training multiple days using the cash function thinking we could easily correct it later. We wrote down training transactions, but are you saying I would have to issue a random refund on another day to correct the totals? That's going to make every day of our short selling season be way off. We're talking about around $30,000 in training session transactions on $300,000 in sales. That is a HUGE discrepancy when it comes to trying to compare next year days to accurate information

Message 61 of 89
Beta Member

Seriously like I don't understand why they can't just give the account owner the ability.  I mean there should be a super user that can edit that, and that super user should be allowed to assign privilege to another, but even without that at least the owner should be able to.  Its absurd.  If the IRS came to audit your POS, good luck explaining that to them @TJ85249.  Oh I swear mr IRS, it was training I didn't really make those sales!

Message 62 of 89
Beta Member

The fact that this most basic of basic features is still not available on Square after five years is utterly absurd. Every single POS I've ever seen or used in my life allowed managers and owners to manually edit cash drawer reports. Employees make mistakes all the time and you're telling me I have to just... not fix them? How am I supposed to keep accurate accounting records? This HAS to be fixed immediately. Unbelievable that Square has allowed this massive, massive problem to linger for half a decade.

Message 63 of 89