x

Does Square offer conditional, criteria, or quantity based discounts?

I want to put an item on the online store that will be discounted 10% if the quantity is 2 or more.

I tried using pre-discounted price points but the customer still has the option to choose a quantity, which throws everything off when they choose anything but a quantity of 1.

I could omit the pre-discounted price points and use a discount code but I only want the code to be applicable if the quantity is 2 or more.

Is this possible?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 200
199 REPLIES 199
Alumni

Hi @blacklabimaging - you can apply a discount to a specific item today without having to have it programmed into the system to apply automatically. (though it does require you to create a discount through register or dashboard.) For maximum flexibility, you could leave the amount blank to enter it at the time of sale. On the e-receipt, each discount is listed; in the POS, you can see which discounts have been applied if you tap into the discounts line or the line item. Our help article on discounts explains the different options.  

Message 85 of 200
Alumni

@legginglady: exciting news about the availability of an automatic discounting feature in Beta with more information in a post on this thread! Note that online store will still use coupon codes.

Message 86 of 200
Beta Member

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Why can you not omit items from being discounted?

We just got a long awaited update for discounts but there is still no feature to help us have bundled deals that allows us to track item sales as well. Why can’t we add a discount to an order that, for example, in an order of 3 items will only discount 2 of them that apply to a deal, where the third item will be full price still? Does anyone know how I can do this?

Message 87 of 200
Admin

Thanks for your post @thecookieconnec! You're right, we're working on Automatic Discounts but we haven't yet added a feature that will help you track 3 for 2 discounts/bundles. I'm sorry that the latter isn't available. I see how important this is for you and your business and I'll share your feedback with the Discounts team. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 88 of 200
Beta Member

I think your mistaken. Say I would only like a discount to apply to strawberries and cherries and not bananas. If I add a discount to my cart, I have to manually select the banana and uncheck “discount this” and it gets confusing and weird. There is currently no easy way to just discount specific items like apply a discount to only a certain amount of items and it’s frustrating. We’ve been running difficultly for 2 years now and had hopes with this update but all it does is automatically apply the discounts to the items no matter what. I can physically set a discount to auto apply but I can’t for example add all the items to my cart, apply a discount, and have it only affect items in a specific category.

Message 89 of 200
Alumni

Hi @thecookieconnec - Good news! We're currently rolling out discounts that will allow you to create discounts in your Dashboard that only apply to certain items like the fruit example you gave below. 

Message 90 of 200
Admin

Update: A quick note to everyone in this thread looking for 'set-it-and-forget-it discounts' - Automatic Discounts are now available for everyone using Square Point of Sale! 🎉

You can use Automatic Discounts to create happy hour and you can set up limited-time discounts too.

Head to this Product Update post for details: Automatic Discounts for Square Point of Sale app or visit the Support Center for step-by-step instructions to create automatic discounts.

Note: These updates apply to discounts used with the Point of Sale app only, and not to Square's Online Store.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 91 of 200

Does this work in Square Register now as well?

Message 92 of 200
Alumni

Yes @disney1fan ! You can set up your discounts to auto apply in the Dashboard, and they will apply according to your rules when you use Square Register.

Message 93 of 200

@elaine_p Hi there; looking at the new Automatic Discount feature, it seems that there isn't an option to do a 'Buy 1, get 1 free' scenario.

For example, a customer adds Item A and B to cart and only pays for Item A (i.e., criteria that states for every Item A and B added to cart, discount Item B by 100%).

Is this option available and I'm just missing it?

Message 94 of 200
Alumni

Hi @IanB, that is not something we have available yet. I will follow up with a post in Community in the future when it is in Beta.

Message 95 of 200

Hi,

This post has been going for 3 years now...it is marked as resolved, but as far as I can tell it isn't. Is there a way of adding certain discounts to certain products that only trigger when certain conditions are met. For example I have certain products from one brand that are £3.95, I want to offer a buy 3 items for £10. The only option I have is to add a % to any of the products in that brand, so even if they buy 1 it is still applying the % discount. I can not have a "Buy 3 for £10" button, because as others day...it means stock can not be tracked properly.

Surely this is something that can be resolved in less than another 3 years?

Message 96 of 200
Alumni

Hi @originfinefoods , we did release features you can configure through your Dashboard to create auto apply discounts that will apply based on the item or category that you can schedule. The specific example you mention of Buy 3 for £10 is still in the works. 

Message 97 of 200

Hi,

I have an item that is $1 a piece, but if a customer buys 4, they'll get it for $3. I currently have 2 variations, the 1 for $1 standard option, but also another that is 4 for $3. However, the way it's currently set up doesn't allow for it to subtract from the stock correctly. How do I get it to do that so I don't need to manually enter and count them after the sale? I looked at the discount section and it doesn't allow for something like this.

Ideally the workaround could be a rule that says "for every 4 items purchased, apply a discount of $1".

Thanks!

Aaron

Message 98 of 200
Admin

Hey @irislune!

Thanks for this question. This is definitely something that has been requested previously, and we'll continue to track it as a Feature Request. 

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 99 of 200
Alumni

Hi @irislune - we have discount logic in a test phase that I think will accomplish what you are looking to do with the 4 for $3 offer that will let you set an quantity discount for an exact quantity of 4 to save $1. This would allow you to use the same item for both transactions to help track your stock. I'd be happy to turn it on so you can create discounts like this in the Square Dashboard.

Message 100 of 200

Also raising my hand in need of conditional discounts.  

We are a small childrens and maternity resale shop - we have certain sizes of clothing that come in in droves ("baby shower gifting sizes") and would love to always have these sizes as a buy 4 get 1 free to incentivize our customers - while we can obviously manually discount this, I'd love to see conditional discount options so that we can take that off of the cashier. 

I would expect conditional discounts to be available under square retail. 

Message 101 of 200
Admin

We hear you @SweetRepeat, thanks for letting us know exactly how this would incentivize customers and streamline the checkout flow for your cashiers. We appreciate this insight! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 102 of 200

Been nearly 3 years since this request was brought up to Square management. I don't know much about coding but conditional pricing is such a basic request that if Square hasn't implemented it by now, its not because they don't know how, but because they don't want to. I need a POS that is built for my needs, and conditional pricing is a simple request. Sorry Square, your customers have spoken but you are not listening. I think its time for a change. Looks like my kids are about to get some used ipads and my business is about to get 4 new POSs.

Message 103 of 200

Can't argue with that. Without the flexibility I need for the menu setup, I can't get to the franchising part of my business with this POS. I need to look for something with more customization.

Message 104 of 200

We'd like this feature too!

Message 105 of 200