x

Does Square offer recurring payments (subscriptions)?

I want to know when will you start automatic reacquiring debit system in place?

Message 1 of 115
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hi Everyone 👋

Good news! We recently launched a feature that will allow sellers to offer subscriptions using Square Online Checkout

Take a look at this product update for more information. Alternatively, you can also use recurring invoices with Square. 

Please note that the membership functionality through Square Online Store still does not have a recurring payment option. 

View Best Answer >

Message 105 of 115
114 REPLIES 114
Admin

Hi @tohuvahobu, great questions! Yes, this can be done, but you will have to take care of the initial setup.

You can invoice a set number of times or indefinitely. In addition, you can set the amount and frequency at regular intervals. For example, if you'd like to set up a 16-month plan for $100 monthly payments, you can choose the frequency as monthly and specify that the invoices should stop after the 16th payment.

Hope this helps answer your question. 🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 22 of 115

Can you show the breakdown of how to do this?

Message 23 of 115

Recurring invoices is totally different.   I am looking for recurrent SUBSCRIPTION payments.   So I receive the same amount AUTOMATICALLY every month....   no invoice.   Just auto pay.  

Message 24 of 115

Additionally a way to secure a new card automatically if the card the customer used for membership payment is declined. If we have a lot of members then we have many issues each billing cycle and it will take way to long to do it the current way square has this set up. The real time savings comes from setting up a system like we have requested for years. This is your business we don't need to tell you every aspect of it, you need to tell us how great your system is and tell is things we had no idea were issues. Not get stuck using another system, like Square Loyalty, that doesn't work and is beta in all CAPS. Catch up please, I want to keep using square.

Additionally, no email with cash refunds is good for who? Not a legitimate business.

Message 25 of 115
Admin

Thanks for posting about this @Drdavemd!

At this time there isn't a way to set up subscription payments (or auto pay) with Square. I appreciate that this is an important feature for your business and I'll share your request with our Product Team. If this feature does become available in the future we announce it and we'll let everyone know here! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 26 of 115

Wondering if this recurring payment option is available as a button at e-commerce check out? Meaning, I'd like to offer a "subscripton" option at checkout on my website. Is this available?

Message 27 of 115
Admin

Thanks for checking in @lilysladle! It's not possible to set up a subscription option/button at check out or using the Square API.

I'll let our product team know that you're interested in this feature. We'll let you know in this thread as soon as we have an updates! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 28 of 115

There used to be a "make it recurring" button.  Is this option still available somewhere?  I can copy paste everything into the recurring invoice template but if there is still a shortcut somehow that would be my preference.

Message 29 of 115

Hey @goldstripe! This is still an option, you'll find it in the top right corner of the Invoices page. Check out the image below. 

Please let me know if you have any questions! 😀

Message 30 of 115

I often use recurring invoices.  My question is in regard to taking a single invoice occurrence and then turning it into a recurring invoice.  When I have a customer who orders only one time, I create an invoice.  But in the past I was able to go to that invoice and "make it recurring" if the customer decided later to be on a revolving schedule for our services.  Now if I want to duplicate a single invoice, I can do that in invoices, but not indefinitely in the way the other page "recurring" works.  

The difference is that I have to generate an invoice in recurring for it to be indefinite.  If I wish to make a single invoice become a weekly or monthly bill, then I have to manually copy, paste, and edit from the "invoices" page into a new series in "recurring."  It becomes tedious.

Message 31 of 115
Admin

Helen here, stepping in for Chad!

Thanks for confirming how you'd like to use Square Invoices @goldstripe. At this time it's not possible to change a single invoice to a recurring series. I see how that would be helpful to be able to create a recurring series afterwards — and it would definitely be a timesaver too! I'll share your feedback with the Product Team.

Let us know if you have any other questions about Invoices or any other feedback! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 32 of 115

Is there a fee for recurring billing?  or if they store the credit card info?

Message 33 of 115
Alumni

Hi @seadunesj5 - What type of Square product are you using? If you're using invoices, you can see @Sean's response below!

Message 34 of 115

Two questions:  

• is there an extra fee to set up recurring payments?
  • is there an extra fee to save the credit card info for a customer?

Thank you!

Message 35 of 115

No extra fees. 

Message 36 of 115

I have set up the recurring invoice and saved my customers cards on file, but i still have to hit the "take payment" option whenever an invoice is due, is there a way to allow it to charge the card on file automatially without me having to go in and take the payment?

Message 37 of 115

Hey @Rational1

That definitely shouldn't be the case. For the Invoice Method section did you select Send Invoice by Email? 

There is an option to charge the customers card on file under this section as well. 

Message 38 of 115

When you set up a recurring invoice on a customer' card on file, is the card charged automatically? or does the customer have to confirm the payment/charge every time?

Message 39 of 115
Square Community Moderator

Hi @fejjabspa!

When you set up recurring invoices, you would typically store a customer's card on file and automatically charge them at the times you select.

You can set it up manually too where they have to pay each time. 

You'd set the card on file option up when you're creating the invoice. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 40 of 115

What is the pricing on the reoccurring charges? The same as swiped or manual keying?

Message 41 of 115
Square

@CaerusnetHowell - You can send an unlimited number of invoices for a fee of 2.9% + 30 cents. Fees are applied at the time an invoice is paid by your customer with their credit or debit card. It’s free to store a customer’s payment card to your Customer Directory, but you’ll pay a slightly higher fee of 3.5% + 15 cents when a stored card is used to pay an invoice. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 42 of 115