x

Does Square offer recurring payments (subscriptions)?

I want to know when will you start automatic reacquiring debit system in place?

Message 1 of 115
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hi Everyone 👋

Good news! We recently launched a feature that will allow sellers to offer subscriptions using Square Online Checkout

Take a look at this product update for more information. Alternatively, you can also use recurring invoices with Square. 

Please note that the membership functionality through Square Online Store still does not have a recurring payment option. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 105 of 115
114 REPLIES 114
Square

Hi @Allmedia— It looks like another seller had the same question, and received an answer. Check out my reply above. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 64 of 115

I am still not clear.  Exactly what steps need to be taken to have the Square to an automatic monthly payment using your service?  Is the Square able to set up an auto-pay?

Message 65 of 115
Square

@Allmedia - Did you have a chance to read through the Invoices Update? Caty included screenshots that walk you through the process of creating a recurring invoice and billing a card on file. Also, feel free to give us a call if you'd like us to walk you through the process. We'd be happy to! 😀

Sean
he/him/his
Message 66 of 115

Hello Sean,

I read through this thread and the only explination I can find is on how to set up a recurring invoice that go out to the client and they are the ones that will hit the pay button.  I did see people ask how to set up an automatic payment/charge and the answers are yes but then explain the invoice way. 

My question:

How do I set up an automatic payment that automatically charges the card with out having to bug the client with emailed invoices?? 

Thank you

Message 67 of 115
Square

@Ana1 - If you configure the recurring invoice to charge a card on file, the customer won't have to enter their card each time - they'll just get a receipt that their card was charged. This product update covers has to accomplish that. Hope this helps!

Sean
he/him/his
Message 68 of 115

Other than the one customer-facing image in the Update, do you have any other text that we can provide to our clients to explain this new feature?

I'm looking for something that is very, very simple.

Thanks!

Message 69 of 115
Admin

Hey @kahml, to make sure I'm on the same page — which image are you referring to? Depending on what you're needing to explain to your customers, you can add details to the "Message" section when creating a new invoice. Or, is there anything specifically that's causing confusion? Thanks for providing more information — we'll make sure this gets cleared up ASAP.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 70 of 115

The image referred to as: "Here's what that customer-facing view looks like:"

/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/95iB9E6EC8DC63B87AD/image-size/large?v=v2&px=999

I just don't know if you have anything else that I could recreate to send to my client base to let them know what to expect when I implement this.  I want my start-up kit to eliminate as many questions as possible.

Message 71 of 115

Full link.. /t5/image/serverpage/image-id/95iB9E6EC8DC63B87AD/image-size/large?v=v2&px=999

Message 72 of 115
Square

@depascalCheck out this thread. 😉

@kahml - Would you mind sharing more details about what you need help with? I'm not sure that I fully understand your issue/question. 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 73 of 115

I wanted to give my clients a 1 page FAQ to tell them what to expect from this service.  The image you've got is pretty awful, so I figured I use one of my own.

I tried to create a recurring invoice and sent a test case to one of my email addresses.  It informs me that there is GOING to be an invoice tomorrow.  I didn't notice that the system set it for 12/21.   I went to change the date and set it to "Send Immediately"  - unfortunately, the system shows a red banner that reads: "Please set a valid send on date that is after today"

What kind of inanity is that?  If there is an option to send immediately, that's what I want to do.  I don't want to have invoices dated for today to go out tomorrow.

Message 74 of 115
Square

@kahml - Thanks for the follow-up. If you need to send one immediately, please send a regular Invoice, as opposed to a recurring one. Going forward, you could schedule a recurring Invoice for payments that you don't need collect immediately. Hope this helps!

Sean
he/him/his
Message 75 of 115

What you are effectively telling me is that if I want to have recurring invoices go out on the 1st and 15th of the month, I have to do the scheduling on the last day of the previous month and the 14th.

I respectfully submit: that is absurd!

I think the designers and engineers need to have a meeting to discuss an enhancement.

Message 76 of 115
Square

@kahml - Sorry for the confusion, definitely not how I meant to come across. You just have to schedule the recurring series at least one day in advance. Once you do, you should be set going forward. It's just that we only send the invoices for recurring series once a day, so you have to allow at least one day before the series can kick in. Does that make more sense? 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 77 of 115

Yes, that makes more sense.  And I realize I can schedule these long before I need them to go out.  But with the notice that the end-client sees about the upcoming series, I don't want to have something appear that could cause confusion (after all, you can't pay the notice).

But I have discovered a glitch.  It seems that my logo is >not< appearing in the email.  There is a place holder at the top and the default text says "this image cannot be displayed" (clicking the link to view in a web browser does not present this problem).

What can be done to correct this?

Message 78 of 115
Square

@kahml - I just double checked your logo, and everything looks good on our side. I do know that some email clients limit what information can be displayed, especially in MS Outlook (Outlook does not support PNG files).  Some sellers discussed this issue here. How were you viewing the invoice? 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 79 of 115

Yes, I am using Outlook, as do the majority of my clients.

Am I correct in understanding that I can only upload a PNG file for my profile or can I re-upload a JPG?

Message 80 of 115
Square

@kahml - At this time we don't currently support the JPG image type. Please see this thread for more details. For future updates on this feature availability, I'd also suggest subscribing to that thread, as well. 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 81 of 115

Looks like I'm not going to be using this feature until your teams iron out some more of the wrinkles in your product offering....

Message 82 of 115

@Sean, now that I've created two test recurring invoices (and have cancelled them), how do I actually delete them from the list?

Message 83 of 115

And another question:  What does the end-user see after they click the Pay $x.yz button?  That information is not included in your overview, nor in any Square FAQ.

Message 84 of 115