x

Does Square offer recurring payments (subscriptions)?

I want to know when will you start automatic reacquiring debit system in place?

Message 1 of 115
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hi Everyone 👋

Good news! We recently launched a feature that will allow sellers to offer subscriptions using Square Online Checkout

Take a look at this product update for more information. Alternatively, you can also use recurring invoices with Square. 

Please note that the membership functionality through Square Online Store still does not have a recurring payment option. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 105 of 115
114 REPLIES 114

Thank you ... just to clarify - the fee is for the card processing, not for setting up a recurring invoice, correct? 

Message 43 of 115

I don’t know.   I just enter info into Square website.   

Message 44 of 115

I have a club and want the members to pay on the first of the month. Is there a way to setup autopay on the credit cards for monthly payments? I want to collect the dues via credit card.

Message 45 of 115
Admin

Hey @Clark77494 — a handful of sellers had the same question, and received an answer. Check out the reply from Sean and let us know if that helps!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 46 of 115

Hi,

Any news or estimate as to when this will be available in Canada?

Thank you!!

Message 47 of 115
Square

@ngiraud - I don't have a timeframe to share right now, but I'll be sure to update you if I do hear anything more solid. Thanks for your patience. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 48 of 115

Hi guys!

I run a martial arts school and I have customers who pay monthly. 

Can I set it up so that on a given date their card gets charged every month? 

Thanks in advance!

Message 49 of 115

I'm wondering the same thing. Not sure how the invoice thing works.

Message 50 of 115

The invoicing is just digital invoicing. You still have to wait for them to pay it. Where monthly billing automatically charges a card on file. But I'm not happy they are charging the same rate for a stored card as a manual keyed card. 

Message 51 of 115

My company is a 502(c)3 and we have people who make pledges of monetary support but they want to pay monthly using an automatic debit.  The only vehicle we have for credit card usage is the Square. Is there a way to set up a monthly debit for several credit cards using Square?

Message 52 of 115
Square

Hi @ItalianAmerican— We sure do! Check out my response above for more details. 😀

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 53 of 115

eral/Other
Questions or Feedback: Does square have the ability to do subscription models for sales. Where I can allow customers to sign up monthly and automatically receive items for free. I would still need them to pay for taxes and shipping. Pls reply soon

Message 54 of 115
Square

We do not currently have subscription options for sales. I'll share that request with our Product Liaison team, thanks for taking the time to post! 

In the meantime, our recurring invoice option may be a good workaround! 

Message 55 of 115

I've read through the "recurring payment" discussions, and I still have a question. Is there a button for e-commerce sites for customers to subscribe to receive my product? I'm a retail business and folks can load their carts withthe things I sell. But they want to "set it and forget it" for a monthly delivery of my product. I want them to be able to set this up by themeselves. Is this available?

Message 56 of 115
Alumni

Hi @lilysladle - I've merged your post with a thread on the same topic. We will update this thread if or when we do decide to have a Subscription feature in the future.

Kelly's answer above is the closest thing we have to what you're looking for at the moment. Customers can put their Card on File via Invoices and you can set up the time period in which it will be charge with no action needed by the customer.

Sorry if it's not exactly what you're looking for, but we hope that it leads in you the right direction!

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 57 of 115

Hi, is there any progress on the subscription feature / button? Or at least an honest response as to whether it’s ever going to happen? Forgive me if I’m wrong but it appears queries in relation to this important feature aren’t being taken seriously.

Message 58 of 115
Square Community Moderator

Hey @Bodizipher,

There's no update to give on this feature right now but if it does become implemented- we'll be sure to update the thread!

You can see how Feature Requests work here if you want to see the life cycle of them and how they work. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 59 of 115

I've read the info I can find on recurring payments in the invoice option, but that doesn't seem to be what I'm looking for. Perhaps I am not fully understanding it, but I am not wanting to send an invoice with the option of recurring payment... I am wanting to offer subscriptions in my online store. I want customers to choose a product from my store and then be able to choose how often they want it, and then they're automatically charged/receive the product until they cancel. Is there a way to do this? 

Message 60 of 115
Alumni

Hey @megrachelle - Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Community! Unfortunately, what you're describing isn't a feature that is available at this time.

In the meantime, I've merged your post with another Seller who is interested in the same topic. We will update this thread with any news on if or when this may be implemented.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 61 of 115
Beta Member

Hi. We're an official Square Partner and have already integrated Square's Credit Card saving API into our website and mobile app solutions, as well as their Customer saving API...so it wouldn't be too much more work to create a Subscription or Recurring feature that integrates with Square for us.

Technically, what you would want to do (assuming you already had their Customer and Credit Card saving API integrated like we do) is create a Subscription table with: start_date, end_date, charge_day

start_date would of course be when the Customer's subscription or recurring period is supposed to start, like when they first signed up. 

end_date is literally what it sounds like - whenever their subscription should end

charge_day is the key field/column here. For example, if it's 20 then that means your code should charge the Customer's saved card on the 20th day every month, which is pretty easy to do once you have all the other pieces.

We actually have SMS Text Messaging, Push Notifications and Emails automated, so we can easily send out reminders X days before "charge_day" to remind the Customer that their card is going to soon be charged...and/or we can also send out a Text, Push or Email on the subscription day that it was just charged too.

Finally, you'd add some code to analyze (ie query) the end dates of all the subscriptions in your subscription table every day to determine which ones are going to end soon, so your system can send reminders to Customers (with a link to renew).

Thankfully, Square's API is pretty simple and awesome, so it makes creating add-on features like this pretty easy for good developers with good logic and understanding over User-Flow logic! : ) 

Ken

ThinApp, Inc. + Pre-Order 

https://getpreorder.com

https://getpreorder.com/square-pos - how our technology works with Square

(Note: this is one of my VPs Support Accounts, but I get on every now and then and respond to things. I'm the owner.)

GetPreOrder.com, Official Square Partner - Create a $250K custom SuperSite for Square free. https://getpreorder.com/supersites
Message 62 of 115

How do I schedule automatic monthly payments?

Message 63 of 115